Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #1
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
This was an interesting article which, though it may not be its intention, supports Jim's idea that importing low skilled people can have a negative impact on the economy of the immigrant receiving country. As in this from the article:

"Back then Norway was quite poor. Wages were less than a third of what they were in the United States. And the wave of emigration out of the country quickly benefited those who remained. That's because it reduced the supply of workers in Norway, so those left behind could demand higher wages. And this helped narrow Norway's wage gap with the U.S. by 25 percent over that same 40-year period, putting Norway on the path toward its status today as one of world's most prosperous nations."

So reducing the supply of workers allows the remaining workers the ability to get higher wages. And, conversely, as in Norway when it had excess workers, (and was a sh*thole) it decreases the wage potential of the receiving country by supplying it with more unskilled workers thus making it easier to fill the demand for them and to pay lower wages because of the competition for jobs. (And thus creates pockets of sh*tholes.)

Norway became "one of the world's most prosperous nations" today by dumping a whole lot of their low skill workers into America. And, today, many American low skill citizens are unemployed, on welfare, and those who are employed are paid less because there is an over supply of them.

Now, the notion that Trump is off the mark when he would rather have immigrants from Norway than unskilled ones from sh*tholes because the past immigrants from Norway were just as unskilled and poor as are those from present day sh*tholes is not, at least if this article is correct, off the mark. The immigrants from Norway today would not be the same as the ignorant, unskilled ones of the past. That's the point of why he would prefer immigrants from places like Norway of today. He wants the kind of immigrants who made Norway one of the most prosperous countries in the world.
That was over a hundred years ago.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-15-2018, 11:06 PM   #2
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
We can all read. Why are you essentially repeating a not terribly significant bit of information that's in the article?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:44 AM   #3
spence

Quote:
We can all read. Why are you essentially repeating a not terribly significant bit of information that's in the article?
I was under the assumption a little critical thinking would draw out my intent.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
I was under the assumption a little critical thinking would draw out my intent.
My post did quite a bit of critical thinking. You post here did none.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
spence

Quote:
Becaus it's terribly significant.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
Becaus it's terribly significant.
Tell me about it.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
Tell me about it.
Busy building a strong economy.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
Busy building a strong economy.
If I recall a similar post by you in some other post in the previous year or so, you've been doing this for a while. Your efforts seem to have gotten some better results lately. Maybe we should be giving you credit instead of Trump.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
spence

Quote:
If I recall a similar post by you in some other post in the previous year or so, you've been doing this for a while. Your efforts seem to have gotten some better results lately. Maybe we should be giving you credit instead of Trump.
Pass the credit to Obama. And yes the red eye feels great this morning. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
So supply and demand was a real thing 100 years ago, but sometime after that, it ceased to exist?
Old 01-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #11
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
So supply and demand was a real thing 100 years ago, but sometime after that, it ceased to exist?
So why did America not suffer from the influx of all those immigrants from Norway when they arrived ? This counters your argument it doesn’t support it. And after 20 some years those from Norway were making 20% less the native born workers very similar to today’s immigrants

Last edited by wdmso; 01-16-2018 at 05:52 PM..
Old 01-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #12
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
So why did America not suffer from the influx of all those immigrants from Norway when they arrived ? This counters your argument it doesn’t support it. And after 20 some years those from Norway were making 20% less the native born workers very similar to today’s immigrants
At that time, we didn't have poor Americans who would not do what the poor immigrants will do. At that time, there was actually a shortage of and a need for workers in an expanding market economy. Now we are told that we have a supply of Americans who simply won't do what immigrants will do for the wages they will accept. So we have an artificial need for workers. And the system that allows for people not to work and still get by, will entice a lot of immigrants (if we allow a lot) to take advantage of such benefits. And their children and grandchildren will certainly learn the American way of avoiding doing what immigrants will do, and so will enlarge the problem and create the constant need to import more people, and the cycle will continue until a big enough crisis occurs to finally do something to stop it. That something may be more undesirable than the cycle itself. Or it might be a good thing. Whatever it is, it will be necessary.

We are already seeing the cycle occurring. We have had floods of immigrants, legal and illegal, since the 1960's. But that has not solved our so-called shortage of labor problem. We still, supposedly, need more.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:53 AM   #13
wdmso

Quote:
At that time, we didn't have poor Americans who would not do what the poor immigrants will do. need more.
oh ok .. and the welfare argument

Last edited by wdmso; 01-17-2018 at 05:12 AM..
Old 01-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #14
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
oh ok .. and the welfare argument
?????????????????????????