Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
WadingWill

Any fellow Ufc and Boxing fans in here?

Just curious at how many of my fellow fisherman follow these sports. It's a pretty good weekend for boxing with Roy Jones taking on Tito Trinidad, even if the fight is about 5-10 years to late. I see this as a boring fight with Jones on his bicyclye and Tito in hot pursuit. I think Jones will tire in the mid to late rounds and Tito will catch him with a left hook and GOODNIGHT IRENE!!! Never know though Trinidad could have alot of ringrust. The thing that makes this fight kinda interesting is there both past there primes, it's all about who has more left in the tank.

Next up, is the always exciting UFC. BJ Penn taking on Joe Riggs. This should be an excellent fight. I'll take Penn by submission in the 2nd or 3rd round. If you haven't seen BJ Penn fight, the guy is amazing, definitely the most talented fighter in MMA today. He can do it all, he has heavy quick hands, great kicks, his takedown defence is second to none, and his ground game is ridiculous. Riggs packs one hell of a punch as well, this should be entertianing while it lasts. Also Gabe Gonzaga is on the comeback trail after losing to The Natural. Look for him to make a big statement with a first round KO.

Well hope that some of you share my passion for these great sports, feel free to chime in with your opinions. The only thing left for me to say being a ri'lander and new englander all my life is.... GO PATS!!!!
WadingWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I love UFC I can't get enough. Penn should win easily IMO. All Riggs can do is punch but Penn is too quick to get caught and he will be submitted by 2nd round. Gonzaga is great and trains locally in Mass. I am pretty sure. Loved when he gave Cro-Cop some of his own medicine and knocked him out with at kick to the noggin. I don't see many of the pay per view stuff but I really like the Pride and UFC. Wish more were on the idiot box.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
NIB

Isn't there a big bout coming up super bowl Sat..
Who is the guy Resnick??
Top colledge wrestler did a little stint with wwf..

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
WadingWill

NIB I believe the fight you're refering to is Brock Lesner vs Frank Trigg. Trigg hasn't fought in a while and I think Lesner will win, but when he starts facing the top guys, I think he will be beaten. Guys with frames as big as his tend to have stamina issues and get weaker as the fight goes on. Also we have to find out how he reacts when he gets punched or kicked, being a wrestler with limited mma experience you never know. I'm sure it will be entertianing to see either way.

ProfessorM, you're right Gonzaga trains in Ludlow Ma. That fight with him and Kro-Cop was sick. I thought Kro-Cops career was done the way his ankle twisted after he fell from that kick from Gonzaga. You can see it on youtube for anybody interested just type in Kro-Cop Gonzaga. ProfesserM don't know if you watch the ultimate fighter on Spike but its the best reality show ever. A bunch a guys who are going to fight each other in a house with all the booze they can drink, makes for some entertianing viewing!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Seen all the episodes. . I really like the lighter weights as they are way more active. Another guy from mass. is pretty darn good too, Ken Flo Florian. I look forward to seeing him fight for a title. I also like the middleweights too, probably the most competitive weight class. I look forward to also seeing M. Bisping getting his ass kicked when he starts fighting some good competition although he got beat but Matt Hamill and they blew the call IMO. Dan Henderson is my favorite but he is getting older. I like Rampage too. Can't stand that big mouth NY, Matt Sera or D. Sanchez.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 PM   #6
NIB

Thats him Brock Lesner.I heard him on btls.

Amateur wrestling:
North Dakota State University's annual Bison tournament
1997-1998 winner
Collegiate
1998 Junior College National Champion
Big Ten Title (1999-2000)
1999 NCAA Division I runner-up
Ranked the #1 Heavyweight in the Big Ten (2000)
2000 NCAA Division I Champion
I think his overall record in college was 105-5...
In a try out for the Minnesota Vikings he was 330 lbs an ran a 4.70-40.

FORE!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
WadingWill

NIB the only BTLS has a show in Sirius, is that who you mean? That show is crazy, Bubba is a maniac and so is the rest of the crew.

ProfessorM I agree that Bisping lost that fight. Also the middleweight division is great I agree. Anderson Silva is fighting Dan Henderson in a couple of months, I really like Silva. He's undefeated in the UFC and a devastating striker with crazy submissions. Henderson is great too should be a good fight.

I was wrong on all of my prior predictions but one. BJ Penn did win by submission in the second round over Joe Stevenson(I mixed him up with Joe Riggs sorry bout that) and prior to that grazed his forehead with an elbow and Stevenson was bleeding like you wouldn't believe. The amount of blood left in the octagon was crazy looked like a slaughter house! Penn choked him out in the second but Stevenson showed alot of heart to keep fighting through that.
Gonzaga lost by TKO. He looked good early knocking Werdum down with leg kicks, but he faded in the second round and got pinned agianst the fence and ground and pounded out.
Another guy from Milford, Mass fought too, Jorge Rivera, and won by devastating knockout over Kendall Grove from the Ultimate Fighter. Was a great UFC almost every fight was a KO.
Also Jones beat Trinidad by UD and knocked Tito down a couple times as well. I didn't get that ppv as it will be on for free next weekend if you have HBO. IMO UFC ppv's give you more bang for your buck.
Theres also a free UFC Fight Night on wed of this coming week on Spike TV. Some good fights on the card should be very entertianing.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
NIB

Yup btls on sirius..
They are big UFC fans.
I like it also not as much I can never seem to find it on the tv..

FORE!
Old 01-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Henderson vs Silva that is going to be a great fight. I can't see Henderson losing that. He is coming down in weight to fight in that class isn't he? Silva is good but IMO not in the class of Henderson. We shall see. Man i would really like to see that. Yes you are right Rivera, Milford. He beat Grove? that has to be a pretty good upset. Stevenson not Riggs, yeah Joe ,Big Daddy, is much better than Riggs. That must have been a good one too. Gonzaga fought who?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
WadingWill

Gonzaga fought Fabricio Werdum, former pride fighter. They actually fought a few years ago and Werdum won that fight as well. Stevenson and Penn was a good fight, now Penn is going to fight Shawn Sherk next and that will be a great bout. Rivera over Grove was a pretty big upset especially the way Jorge ko'd him. As far as Henderson vs Silva you're right Henderson is dropping down from light heavyweight to middleweight for the fight. I respectfuly disagree with you though, I think Silva will win but that's why I love the UFC, you just never know. Who woulda thought that Matt Serra would KO GSP? I know I didn't. Either way Henderson and Silva will be entertianing i know that for sure.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
WadingWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Yup btls on sirius..
They are big UFC fans.
I like it also not as much I can never seem to find it on the tv..
NIB if you have spike TV there is a free UFC on wed night this week. Also every thursday they show former UFC's on UFC unleashed. Great way to familiarize yourself with the fighters and the sport, and best of all its free. Trust me if you have a spark of interest in the UFC, watch a couple and you'll be hooked. IMO there is nothing better in the summer than watching a live UFC on Sat night until 12-1am, then going fishing till the sun comes up! Maybe my wife is right, I have issues...
Old 01-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #12
Bronko

Penn is great and is an excellet tactician. Although I have to admit, I thought his career was over with that loss to Matt Hughes in 06.' It just felt like he had given up after that. But, he seems back with a vengance which is a good thing for the UFC.

The Gonzales knockout of Cro-Cop was as devastating a knock out as you will ever see. I watched it live with my brother, we were completely stunned by that kick.

I can't get enough UFC either.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #13
WadingWill

If I recall correctly the Gonzaga Kro Cop fight was free live on Spike Tv. That was definitely knockout of the year for the ufc, only I couple I've seen that could even compare to that.

Penn's is much bigger stronger lightweight than he is welterweight. In that rematch with Penn and Hughes Penn dominated the first round, but gassed later in the fight and as you said pretty much gave up. In the past he has relied on technique and talent more so than training. He seems to have matured and is really applying himself now. He won the lightweight title on Sat night cause the former champ(Shawn Sherk) tested positive for steriods after his last fight with Hermes Franca and was stripped of the title. Now Sherk will fight Penn and this will be a real test for BJ. If he trains his ass off he will win, but if he doesn't he's in real trouble. Sherk is an animal and never stops coming forward and is always ready to go the distance. To bad for Sherk he tainted his image by taking steriods, but good for the UFC for stripping him of the title.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadingWill View Post
If I recall correctly the Gonzaga Kro Cop fight was free live on Spike Tv. That was definitely knockout of the year for the ufc, only I couple I've seen that could even compare to that.

The best part was he knocked out a guy that is known world wide for his knockout kicks. Little bit of his own medicine. I respectfully disagree with you about the Silva fight though, although he is giving up a lot in age, he is one tough cookie and I think he will win. He gave Rampage all he could handle and has way, way more experience, esp. against heavyweights. Hell he knocked out the other Brazilian Silva, Axe murder, and I just don't think the other Silva is in his league. It should be a great fight. Please post who wins as I won't be getting the pay for view probably. I will have to wait for the reruns
. Cherri o.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #15
WadingWill

Professor I'll see if I can't get my dvd recorder hooked up and tape it for ya assuming you have a dvd player. The fight is march1st so I got some time to see if I can get it to work. I'll let you know.
I don't think there will be a favorite in this fight, I bet the odds will be even. I can understand why you believe Henderson will be victorious, I agree with every point you made but one. I do believe Silva is in the same league as Henderson. Since Silva has come to the UFC he has dominated all of his opponents the best one being Rich Franklin twice. I believe that Anderson's stand up(striking) is better than Hendersons(not by much), and his submissions are better as well. I think Henderson has much better wrestling skills but thats the only area I give him the edge. I just feel like Silva has more options than Henderson in this fight. That being said these are just my opinions, and even though I believe Silva will win, I wouldn't be surprised to see Henderson win either, these are 2 elite fighters in great shape so you never know what can happen.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #16
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Sounds great. I don't think Silva has been hit by a punch the likes of Henderson can bring and on the ground Henderson is one of the all time greats with his extensive wrestling skills. I don't think he will be submitted. I think stamina will be a big variable with the age difference. Silva gets the nod on the foot skills. Going to be a great fight either way and I have a tendency to jinx people. Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it. Paul