Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
Jersey_Jim

CARP - no snickering please !

A friend of mine is from England and he loves to catch carp on light tackle. What are some good places to target on the south shore of MA?

Jersey Jim
Jersey_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Check out David Pickerings Carp Blog
Rhode Island Carp Fishing

Tons of info, spots, tactics, etc

He's got some big catches up to 36 lbs and a couple weeks ago an amazing orange 20 lb koi.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Also another good one is

Dark Carping- The source for night carp angling in R.I.

Every year I want to target carp during the day or nights where's there's no surf but haven't given it a real shot yet.

Too many other things to do. Wish I had more time.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
bart
Red Eye Jedi

small, shallow, mucky ponds with leafy bottoms seem to hold a lot of carp around here. we've caught them to 17lbs on light tackle...it's a blast.
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Carp are a blast on fresh water gear. Sliding sinker rig with a few pieces of corn on the hook. Loosen up your drag to next to nothing and wait. They fight like a Bastid.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
niko

i've always wanted to try for carp

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Snickering?! Those are some badass fish... I've always wanted to make a go at catching them but I don't have room for another hobby in my life!

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
spence

Back in Iowa we used to wade the flood waters and spear fish carp feeding on grass...that was fun.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
FishermanTim

If you are not planning on keeping the catch, there are quite a few waterways in eastern MA that hold some bruiser carp.
Sudbury, Concord and Charles rivers all have numerous carp areas.
There are also a few ponds that have them as well (real carp and not released goldfish)
Heard Pond (Wayland) and Spy Pond (Arlington) are 2 that I know have them (as well as other desireable species).

The river carp that I've seen tend to outgrow the pond cousins by quite a large margin.
Nothing is quite as enlightening as seeing a 30+ lb carp bolt when you spook it. Heck, I've even had one ram my kayak while night fishing once.
I haven't targeted them, but I know they are proverbial freight trains when hooked.

Heck, I may have to give them a shot next year!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
The river carp that I've seen tend to outgrow the pond cousins by quite a large margin.
from what I've seen and heard I agree with this as well. I was carp fishing one day at a local pond and a guy came down with a fly-rod looking for them. said he caught monsters in the Blackstone River. i don;t know how big they get, but I want to say he's seen them to 50+ lbs, actually I think he said 70! But I have no idea how big they get so I don't know if that's true or not. Someone can google it. But i do know in the ponds where i target them, I think the biggest you would catch would probably be around 20lbs.....
Old 11-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
Rockfish9

A big carp fight isn't all that differant from a big bass fight..... a big one will test your tackle.. and your nerves!

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

The ones in uk get massive, 70 to 80lbs, the big girls have names and marks to tell them apart, always released and just keep growing.

The RI record is 36lbs, unofficial cause the fish was released.

I'm sure there are ponds /rivers where fish could easily reach 50lbs here.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

I used to fish for them a lot when I was younger and lived in Western MA near the CT River. I used wheaties mashed up and mixed with strawberry soda on a small hook and slip sinker. It was not uncommon to take several over 20 pounds on a given outing. The state record is 44 pounds, landed in the CT River. This one should blow your mind though... WORLDRECORDCARP.COM: New world record common carp from Rainbow Lake 91lb

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
Sgt Striper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
I used to fish for them a lot when I was younger and lived in Western MA near the CT River. I used wheaties mashed up and mixed with strawberry soda on a small hook and slip sinker. It was not uncommon to take several over 20 pounds on a given outing. The state record is 44 pounds, landed in the CT River. This one should blow your mind though... WORLDRECORDCARP.COM: New world record common carp from Rainbow Lake 91lb
Yup, 91#'s and he caught it on one of my favorite rods, the SP!

"The lips stand out because she wants to suck on your Pikie."....Mike Laptew
Van Staal Service/Repair Technician
Sgt Striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
FishermanTim

I see them all the time when kayaking the Sudbury River, and when you see carp that would measure anywhere OVER 3 1/2 feet, you start to see where the challenge would play into it.

I've see carp that were close to if not over 4 ft in length and whenthey spooked, they left no doubt that they were a BIG FISH.

Now I regret not targeting these beasts this past summer, as they seemed to out number the bass and pickerel in the small section that I fished.

The added plus was seeing a family of osprey diving/fishing and seeing a young eagle that was either born there or is staking out the area as his "territory".
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #16
bart
Red Eye Jedi

I tried for carp today because I haven't got a bass in a few days. I was chumming the area pretty hard and a nice guy down the way was fishing a crankbait for bass. he ended up hooking something big that was taking drag and taking him all over the pond before losing it. he was fishing an ultra-lite set-up so I'm not sure if I drew in some carp and he snagged one or if he hooked into a big bass. I got a 22" PIG of a bass the other day in the same area on my medium set-up and it made a strong run at first so who knows. But he said he's caught carp in the lips before on lures. I've never heard of that, but he seemed to know his stuff. he had modified the crankbait in a cool way i'd never seen. Either way it was pretty exciting for about 15 seconds. Now its time to eat
Old 11-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

Fun fish to catch. They get real big my way in the CT River. When they get hooked, they get pissed! A much better fight then they present while just swimming around. Look over any bridge that goes into Holyoke, MA in mid June on a sunny day, you'll see some bruisers.

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
HanoverStriper
New Guy

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
If you are not planning on keeping the catch, there are quite a few waterways in eastern MA that hold some bruiser carp.
Sudbury, Concord and Charles rivers all have numerous carp areas.
There are also a few ponds that have them as well (real carp and not released goldfish)
Heard Pond (Wayland) and Spy Pond (Arlington) are 2 that I know have them (as well as other desireable species).

Nothing is quite as enlightening as seeing a 30+ lb carp bolt when you spook it. Heck, I've even had one ram my kayak while night fishing once.
I haven't targeted them, but I know they are proverbial freight trains when hooked.

Heck, I may have to give them a shot next year!
I will echo what Tim said. I have caught some very nice carp in the Sudbury, Charles, and Concord, as well as Heard Pond. I assume the Heard Pond carp come in through the Sudbury River on the backside. Closer to home for you, I have also seen them in the Indian Head river.

Adding to this, there are some nice carp in the Assabet River, and a very accessible pond in Maynard.
HanoverStriper is offline   Reply With Quote