Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Another one for the Obama camp

Just ran across some old news.
How do you Obama supporters reconcile this with the Wright comments? Imus, who makes comedic remarks vs. a priest whos audience contains families and children.
Obama said, dont judge Wrights comments out of context, look at his whole life. While Imus runs a non-profit camp for kids with cancer and has hosted hundreds of black children?

Obama: Fire Imus
Obama First White House Contender to Call for Imus' Firing Over Racial Slur
In an interview with ABC News Wednesday afternoon, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., called for the firing of talk radio host Don Imus. Obama said he would never again appear on Imus' show, which is broadcast on CBS Radio and MSNBC television.

"I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus," Obama told ABC News, "but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."
"He didn't just cross the line," Obama said. "He fed into some of the worst stereotypes that my two young daughters are having to deal with today in America. The notions that as young African-American women -- who I hope will be athletes -- that that somehow makes them less beautiful or less important. It was a degrading comment. It's one that I'm not interested in supporting."

stereotypes? degrading? Imus' commetns were bad comedy, nothing else. Wrights comments were white stereotypes, and degrading to many including the tens of thousands who lost friends and family on 9/11.

So how do Obama supporters reconcile this?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
slapshot

With unity and hopefulness, hopefulness for unity and the unity of hopefulness.

spare CHANGE helps too.

bluefish Jihadist
Old 08-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

the way you present it there makes it sound like a double standard, which is may be, but Obama has denounced Wright's comments many times, I don't think he said you have to take the 9/11 comments in context???? did he? Besides, Wright isn't even on Obama's staff
at least his chief economic advisor didn't call Americans a bunch of whiners, at least he has control of the people on his staff.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Please let me know if there is another way to present it? Facts are facts. Obama denounced his remarks, only AFTER they became public. Obama admitted to knowledge of the comments long before they became public..BUT did he leave his church, no, not until Wright went on to the press dinner and made ADDITIONAL comments. Did Obama call for Wright to be fired? No, he removed him from his campaign after the media blitz.

I really don't think the "whiners" comment has anything to do with this, does it? I have listed a clear double standard from Obama and wonder how his supporters reconcile it. Its PURE hypocracy to me.
But, to address the "whiner" comment. If a presidential candidate came on tv and said that Americans are a bunch of whiners, I would throw all of my support behind them and they would get my vote. Americans ARE a bunch of whiners. ref: the wussification of America thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Geesh, you make it sound like nobody hung around with a #^&#^&#^&#^&head Before....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I'm very disappointed no Obama supporters can reconcile this for me.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

You must reconcile this with yourself....reconciliation must come from within

Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Joe

It looks like Trinity United Church of Christ is Wright's church - It does not look like there is a governing body that he reports to - no board, no clerical hierarchy, etc.
It would be like asking me to step down as head of SRI. You can ask, I can say no. Fortunantly my misteps have been confined to wussification, rather than hate-speach.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Rockport24

well, you must reconcile from within, but this may help:
Obama said that he knew about the comments before they became public and denounced them then as well and, as you noted, he did in fact "fire" him from any association with his campaign.
and Joe's wright, how the hell do you fire a pastor who runs a church?
to say that Obama let Wright's comments slide because he didn't demand that his church get rid of him immediately is a little extreme
Old 08-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

you see no double standard? A radio comedian vs a religious figure, one makes a joke, one preaches racism. No issue with that?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Nebe

Id back up Obama, but to be honest with you, This is the way I see it and has nothing to do with Obama... What Imus said was without question racist beyond question.. And he said it on the radio to an open audience for all to hear. IT was derogatory and well... racist. If you look at what wright was doing, you should be able to understand that his role in the church is to inspire his followers to do better. And while he chose the racist card to inspire his flock, what he was trying to get across to his people was that they can do better and can rise above repression.
Lets face it. Blacks are repressed on a daily basis. Yes there is a double standard when it comes to racism and until you walk a mile in an average black guy's shoes, I dont think you or anyone who has not can say one thing about backs speaking out about being repressed.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Interesting. And Nebe, I'll give you one thing, your beliefs and observations are in line with your political party. I know many black people, I know of none that are repressed. Nor do I think any are repressed by the government, business or culture. Thus, I dont think we should have a double standard of any type, including affitmative action.

Im a huge fan of Dave Chapelle, he makes deragotory remarls againgst whites all the time, and I laugh my arse off. Maybe the first step in not being "repressed" is not viewing yourself as a victim all the time? The most brilliant think I heard in the Imus controversy is from a black comedian, I forgot his name, he had no issue with Imus' comment and responded with " You are what you answer to".

Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjeeezus

I just went to the Trinity web link Joe posted, nice mission statement -
"W.E.B. DuBois indicated that the problem in the 20th century was going to be the problem of the color line. He was absolutely correct. Our job as servants of God is to address that problem and eradicate it in the name of Him who came for the whole world by calling all men, women, boys and girls to Christ."

Old 08-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
Rockport24

I think Nebe's got it right, it's kind of not a correct comparison, but there is still always somewhat of a double standard with this type of thing. I'll cocede to that. Although I still think you are painting the picture that Obama gave Wright a pass on that whole thing, which is just false.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjeeezus

I just went to the Trinity web link Joe posted, nice mission statement -
"W.E.B. DuBois indicated that the problem in the 20th century was going to be the problem of the color line. He was absolutely correct. Our job as servants of God is to address that problem and eradicate it in the name of Him who came for the whole world by calling all men, women, boys and girls to Christ."

It doesn't mean for all blacks to eradicate whites...he's stating that if we all come under one god we can eradicate the color line....no color line means that color won't matter.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #16
Nebe

In the end, I dont think its fair to hold obama accountable for someone else's words.. Wright made those words and they were based at no single person... Imus's words were directed at one small group of people.. thats also a huge difference. Apples and oranges IMO
Old 08-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
It doesn't mean for all blacks to eradicate whites...he's stating that if we all come under one god we can eradicate the color line....no color line means that color won't matter.
by having a mission based on a color line, it infers there is a color line. Which in turn creates a color line.

Example, I have a 4 and 6 year old. They just started a new preschool this past Monday. It is run by an African American and her sister, who is called Miss Jessica.
Yesterday, my 6 yr old went on a filed trip, I asked her who took them. She said it was Miss Jessica, I asked was she there when I picked you up? She said yes, she is the woman in the blue shirt....

Get it? She did not respond she was the "black" person. Why? Because we have NO COLOR LINE in my family. Who paints the color line in America? The victim pimps, Sharpton, Jackson and LIBERALS. Get over it, move on and get to work.
15 years I have been in a hiring position in major financial instituitons, I have hired dozens of people and interviewed hunderds, I have hired Indian people, muslims, asians ,,,,,I have never even interviewed on African American, not one! Is that becasue the white man is keeping them down? DF - how do you explain the influx of Indians into the IT world, I work with dozens of Indians, they do not have the best language skills, the have very dark skin, they retain their culture. I have some Indian neighbors and they walk arounf the neighborhood in saris. How in the world can foreigners, Indians, come into the country, look different, act different, speak different and yet BE VERY SUCCESSFUL?????????? Where is all this RACISM I hear about?????????????How come Indians are not "repressed"?????? One answer - they do not ACT like victims. They do NOT EXPECT anything, they WORK for it.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #18
Nebe

good point. But perhaps your secretary is racist and is hanging up on them Jim.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #19
spence

Quote:
Who paints the color line in America? The victim pimps, Sharpton, Jackson and LIBERALS. Get over it, move on and get to work.
50 years ago, which isn't all that long mind you, we still had a legally segregated nation. I think you need to adjust your rhetoric filter.

Quote:
Where is all this RACISM I hear about?????????????How come Indians are not "repressed"?????? One answer - they do not ACT like victims. They do NOT EXPECT anything, they WORK for it.
A few years back I was having a converstation over a few beers with a man named Stanley who was from Kenya. I asked him if he walked down the street in Detroit as a Kenyan or a black man...

He remarked that he didn't understand why people would have the same negative impression of him as a Kenyan that they would if he were a black American.

-spence
Old 08-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #20
Joe

I agree that the upward mobility of people from India and that part of the world is remarkable. Beleive it or not, there is a black middle and professional class, its just not represented very well in the Northeast - for all our supposed liberalism, we're very white up here.
You have to consider that the immigrants from India represent the most ambitious, courageous, and intelligent people from a society of over one billion with more English speakers than the US. They have made inroads in the Northeast largely because so many came here to study.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #21
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
50 years ago, which isn't all that long mind you, we still had a legally segregated nation. I think you need to adjust your rhetoric filter.

A few years back I was having a converstation over a few beers with a man named Stanley who was from Kenya. I asked him if he walked down the street in Detroit as a Kenyan or a black man...

He remarked that he didn't understand why people would have the same negative impression of him as a Kenyan that they would if he were a black American.

-spence
63 years ago dropped 2 atomic bombs on Japan. Japanese citizens thrive in America and their products flood all US markets. 30 years ago we were burning Vietnamese villages, Vietnamese Americans thrive in the country. Why, they got over it!

As far as the "negative impression" - see my earlier comments on Sharpton, Jackson and Liberals. BTW a negative impression is not racism.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Yikes...who pissed in your corn flakes this morning...

What's funny is I agree with everything you say here.....I try and teach my kids the same thing.....but if your daughter had said the black woman, does that mean she is treating somebody as inferior, no, she's just using a descriptor...just like the blue shirt.

I had a discussion with my wife's aunt and my sister-in-law one night (rather heated) about women being treated as inferior in the workplace. My sister-in-law brought up the example that she worked for a company for 5 years and they just hired somebody, male, for more money than she was making, and she was screaming sexual descrimination.

I made the argument that it was just the business world. While she was getting her annual 4-5% raises the job market was dictating that the position was growing by 10-12% and that is why he came in at a higher salary.

and I said that there is no way in the business world they are going to give you more money just because it seems unfair to you. Unfortunately if you want the same salary you will probably have to make the decision to leave.

Not everytime a Woman or Minority doesn't get what they want makes it descrimination. sometimes you just weren't right for the job or fell short of your goals.

BTW I was lucky I survived that night...both my Bro-in-law and uncle bailed on me as soon as we started the debate.

Quote:
by having a mission based on a color line, it infers there is a color line. Which in turn creates a color line.

Example, I have a 4 and 6 year old. They just started a new preschool this past Monday. It is run by an African American and her sister, who is called Miss Jessica.
Yesterday, my 6 yr old went on a filed trip, I asked her who took them. She said it was Miss Jessica, I asked was she there when I picked you up? She said yes, she is the woman in the blue shirt....

Get it? She did not respond she was the "black" person. Why? Because we have NO COLOR LINE in my family. Who paints the color line in America? The victim pimps, Sharpton, Jackson and LIBERALS. Get over it, move on and get to work.
15 years I have been in a hiring position in major financial instituitons, I have hired dozens of people and interviewed hunderds, I have hired Indian people, muslims, asians ,,,,,I have never even interviewed on African American, not one! Is that becasue the white man is keeping them down? DF - how do you explain the influx of Indians into the IT world, I work with dozens of Indians, they do not have the best language skills, the have very dark skin, they retain their culture. I have some Indian neighbors and they walk arounf the neighborhood in saris. How in the world can foreigners, Indians, come into the country, look different, act different, speak different and yet BE VERY SUCCESSFUL?????????? Where is all this RACISM I hear about?????????????How come Indians are not "repressed"?????? One answer - they do not ACT like victims. They do NOT EXPECT anything, they WORK for it.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #23
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

and BTW....sometimes it is the white americans that help perpetrate a color line too...I know plenty of people that like to drop the "N" word....even seen them do it in front of their kids....makes me sick

Old 08-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #24
Bocephus

Nobody can tell me that a smart, educated man like Obama didnt know that his buddy the Good Reverend Wright, whom he characterized as a spiritual mentor (before the public got interested) was a racist. He knew it, and stayed there because he didnt want to seem out of touch with the folks he was helping in Chicago. I dont beleive for a second that the clips being shown on TV of Wright going nuts on whites, jews, and the USA were the only instances and they just happened to be caught on camera. Obama talks about the children, the children, well, he brought his children to that church for how long??
So do I vote for Mccain, who has spit in the face of every republican, teaming up with scumbags like Kennedy?
We arent screwed as a country yet. This is the still the greatest country on earth.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #25
Bocephus

And I do recognize that his acceptance speech was a historic moment in this country.....................and I do recognize the fact that democrats pushed this man to where he is because he is black.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #26
Joe

I don't think there are any strategists who realistically believe that you can tear down Obama through negative association. I'm not saying he does not have weaknesses - but I don't believe you can say he is what someone else says or does. Rev. Wright, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson - who cares anymore? They were marginalized to the wastebin of history last night.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #27
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

kind of funny, and just a note, no, Obama's age did not appear in the article. Spence will argue there is no media bias
Check this out -
Some of these persuadable voters had been leaning toward Obama and others were leaning toward the Republican candidate, Arizona Senator McCain, 72. Many said they were impressed by the address. While some of the voters said the first part of Obama's speech was short on specifics, he ultimately allayed their concerns, and most had a positive view of the convention.

McCain,72 - to freakin funny! They have to note his age

Old 08-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #28
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I don't think there are any strategists who realistically believe that you can tear down Obama through negative association. I'm not saying he does not have weaknesses - but I don't believe you can say he is what someone else says or does. Rev. Wright, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson - who cares anymore? They were marginalized to the wastebin of history last night.
in the contxt of the thread I started, I was referring to what Obama said about Imus. To me, a clear example of hipocracy, drawn down racial lines. The response from the Obama supporters was that its different for blacks and whites and thats why i brought Sharpton into the mix

Old 08-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #29
Joe

Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Rev. Wright are loose canons accountable to no one other than themselves.

Imus, by contast, was accountable to Corporate America - NBC and it's advertisers, specifically. He knew there was a line, and as a veteran radio personality, he should have known what you can get away with and what you can't.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #30
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Rev. Wright are loose canons accountable to no one other than themselves.

Imus, by contast, was accountable to Corporate America - NBC and it's advertisers, specifically. He knew there was a line, and as a veteran radio personality, he should have known what you can get away with and what you can't.
totally missing the point, I am referring to OBAMAs comments about Imus.