Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
Jim in CT

IG report

Horowitz testified today that his report “doesn’t vindicate anybody “who touched Carter Pages FISA warrants, and testified that he found “significant problem” with the FISA warrants applications.

If you believe that the Mueller report is a smoking gun, the only excuse for dismissing the IG report and his comments, is pure partisanship. Same goes for
anyone who dismissed the Mueller report as vindication but sees this as a smoking gun.

Ugly stuff. We need to take a breath and hit the reset button. In many ways, we are not in a healthy place.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Horowitz testified today that his report “doesn’t vindicate anybody “who touched Carter Pages FISA warrants, and testified that he found “significant problem” with the FISA warrants applications.

If you believe that the Mueller report is a smoking gun, the only excuse for dismissing the IG report and his comments, is pure partisanship. Same goes for
anyone who dismissed the Mueller report as vindication but sees this as a smoking gun.

Ugly stuff. We need to take a breath and hit the reset button. In many ways, we are not in a healthy place.
So you have read it, in it's entirety and have come to that conclusion?
Or you are basing that on what you have seen in the media or the Senate show?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Those are Horowitz’s words to the senate. His words, no one else’s.

Sorry if you don’t like
it, but that’s what he said today.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
Jim in CT

an exact Horowitz quote: “we are deeply concerned that so many basic and fundamental
errors were made.”.

You brush that off as Horowitz stopping short of giving them a clean bill of health. God for you.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

So what, Trump welcomed help from a foreign power then ( hey Russia if your listening) and the pattern continues; Ukraine and hey China if your listening. So I assume you are OK with a presidential candidate or the current president seeking help to influence our elections; that is really what this is all about.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Those are Horowitz’s words to the senate. His words, no one else’s.

Sorry if you don’t like
it, but that’s what he said today.
Quote:
an exact Horowitz quote: “we are deeply concerned that so many basic and fundamental
errors were made.”.

You brush that off as Horowitz stopping short of giving them a clean bill of health. God for you.
So you have not read it, perhaps watched some of the testimony or not and have come to a definitive conclusion based on someone else's opinion and a small portion of Horowitz's testimony.

And somehow claim that I have come to some conclusion and am brushing something off by asking you these two questions.

I guess I'll just have to show you my badge.........

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #7
PaulS

The FISA bar was met and the investigations were justified. The problem is that the bar is set too low. The 17 things that were noted (whatever they are) are concerning and need to be fixed.

Trump still asked a foreign country for help and to interfere in our elections and deserves to be impeached.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
So what, Trump welcomed help from a foreign power then ( hey Russia if your listening) and the pattern continues; Ukraine and hey China if your listening. So I assume you are OK with a presidential candidate or the current president seeking help to influence our elections; that is really what this is all about.
“so what” that the fbi breaks the rules when seeking to
suspend your civil rights.

this is the kind of stuff ( despotism, destroying our democratic institutions), that the left accuses trump of. but “so what”
when the fbi does it in secret.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The FISA bar was met and the investigations were justified. The problem is that the bar is set too low. The 17 things that were noted (whatever they are) are concerning and need to be fixed.

Trump still asked a foreign country for help and to interfere in our elections and deserves to be impeached.
the origins of the investigation were deemed justified, that’s true.

the bar to spy on carter page was not met, that’s why horowitz said significant and basic errors were made. not sure what you’re referring to when you say the bar was met. if that’s true, what errors is horowitz referring to?
Old 12-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

this is the kind of stuff ( despotism, destroying our democratic institutions), that the left accuses trump of. but “so what”
How do you know what a report says without reading it?

Is it like this?

The FBI is lying. The IG is lying. The Ambassador is lying. The NSC is lying. The advisor to VP Pence is lying. The Special Prosecutor was lying. The women were lying. The guy saying he already built a border wall and posting his head on Sly Stallone's body is telling the truth?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #11
wdmso

With out showing criminal intent or an organized conspiracy.. all you have is old policys lack of Training.. and no crime

If using Republicans defense of trump seeing they got the aid and no investigation was conducted there can be no crime

So if carter paige was never arrested never charged.. never went to jail wheres the crime..?

We know all about the others charged and jailed why is only paige Fisa warrant mentioned? Or the main focus ?
Old 12-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
How do you know what a report says without reading it?

Is it like this?

The FBI is lying. The IG is lying. The Ambassador is lying. The NSC is lying. The advisor to VP Pence is lying. The Special Prosecutor was lying. The women were lying. The guy saying he already built a border wall and posting his head on Sly Stallone's body is telling the truth?
"How do you know what a report says without reading it?"

Ummm, if you read my very short post, you'd see I based it not on the written report, but on statements made by the author of the report. Is that going too fast for you?

I didn't say anyone was lying (I mean come on, my post was a couple of sentences, how could you interpret that I claimed someone was lying?). I said that according to Horowitz, the FBI made a large number of serious and concerning errors.

Horowitz said that to the Senate today. I quoted him. That's all. Again, if you feel the need to bend over backwards like a contortionist in order to dismiss my quoting Howoritz, good for you.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
So you ... have come to a definitive conclusion based on someone else's opinion and a small portion of Horowitz's testimony.

?
Just based on Howowitz's testimony. I didn't read one word of the report. I saw a fait amount of his testimony.

When you conclude from watching testimony that Trump committed an impeachable offense, that's un unassailable fact. When I post direct, exact quotes of what Horowitz said, I'm merely posting wild and invalid conclusions.

In other words, as always with you...

liberal=good, conservative=bad. No exceptions, not ever.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
With out showing criminal intent or an organized conspiracy.. all you have is old policys lack of Training.. and no crime

If using Republicans defense of trump seeing they got the aid and no investigation was conducted there can be no crime

So if carter paige was never arrested never charged.. never went to jail wheres the crime..?

We know all about the others charged and jailed why is only paige Fisa warrant mentioned? Or the main focus ?
"all you have is old policys lack of Training'

Let's just start with this...how do you know that the agents who made the serious mistakes, did so from a lack of training? How could you possibly know, that they weren't fully trained but chose to ignore their training in pursuit of this warrant? PLease tell us what evidence you saw, that led you to believe that it was a lack of training, not a willful disregard for proper training, which led to the mistakes?

'no crime "

It wasn't a criminal probe. Durham is conducting a criminal probe, his results haven't been released. How about we wait and hear what he says. And let's be clear, I hope there was no crime, I don't want to think that the Obama Justice department broke the law in order to spy on the Trump campaign. I really, really hope that's not the case.

"If using Republicans defense of trump seeing they got the aid and no investigation was conducted there can be no crime"

More gibberish. Ukraine got the aid. Page was spied on. Neither you nor I know if the DOJ got permission to spy on Page by breaking the law.

"So if carter paige was never arrested never charged.. never went to jail wheres the crime..?"

If anyone knowingly provided false information to get a warrant to spy on him, that could be a crime. Misrepresentation an application to a FISA judge can be a crime.

"We know all about the others charged and jailed why is only paige Fisa warrant mentioned? Or the main focus ?"

Because using a debunked Steele dossier to get permission to suspend the rights of an American citizen, might be considered bad. Even if that citizen worked for the Trump campaign.

"
Old 12-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #15
Pete F.
Canceled

Today we learned there were 17 acts of negligence across a sprawling 3-year investigation that if it had been like most years-long investigations, should've had scores. There was 1 act of misconduct that may've assisted in getting additional warrants on Page post-inauguration.
The predication for the FBI investigation was solid; there was no political bias; and the investigation was found to be urgent and appropriate. The FBI didn't disclose the investigation prior to the election, and it ultimately led to countless indictments and prison sentences.
So what was offensive about the testimony was its ignorance of so much of the context into which it should have known its conclusions would be placed, not that the conclusions were damaging. For instance, the FBI had every reason to investigate Page based on his history.
Today's questioning/testimony led to substantial confusion about the type of counterintelligence briefing Trump/Flynn received in August 2016 and its purpose. The FBI may change its policies going forward, but there is no doubt everything about that briefing was appropriate.
Moreover, what's actually interesting about the August 2016 briefing is that it presented an opportunity for Trump/Flynn to reveal information about the Russian attack on America that they possessed. They did not do so, further justifying the ongoing investigation of Flynn.
This IG report was one of the biggest busts in Congressional oversight history. The scope and depth of the over-promising by Trump and his sycophants that preceded it is staggering. They wove a story of deep-state conspiracies and nefarious plots that was 100% fantastical.
So I know it'd be really fun for Trumpists to think that people on the left are upset about the IG report, but I'm here to inform them that no one on the left is upset about the report. It was a huge bust. We're upset at the misinformation the hearing on the report spread.
Senator Leahy made the point that the Carter Page Portion was only 7 pages out of the over 450 pages which indicates that the other investigations were legitimate and by the book.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #16
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

You crack me up at times. So this I assume is the only administration where issues having to do with fisa warrants have happened, give me a break; it’s been a problem forever. I’m not suggesting that isn’t a problem, but it isn’t the main problem moving forward.

Barr and his bulldog met ahead of the IG issuing the report, but guess what; they offered nothing to change their conclusions. Deep state gone. FBI and CIA coup gone. Help from a foreign power to interfere in our elections ongoing, I guess that’s no issue for you of course, as the means justify the end which is Trump has help getting elected.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Just based on Howowitz's testimony. I didn't read one word of the report. I saw a fait amount of his testimony.

When you conclude from watching testimony that Trump committed an impeachable offense, that's un unassailable fact. When I post direct, exact quotes of what Horowitz said, I'm merely posting wild and invalid conclusions.

In other words, as always with you...

liberal=good, conservative=bad. No exceptions, not ever.
You picked several sentences out of 6 Hours of testimony that you personally read/observed or you’re repeating talking points pushed by people that fit your narrative.
Keep defending without question your hero

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Horowitz also said very clearly, that before the FBI had the Steele dossier, lawyers felt like they didn’t have enough to apply to a FISA court to spy on Page. DOJ officials told Horowitz, that the Steele dossier “put them over the top” in terms
of applying to spy on Page.

CNN said all day that the dossier played no significant role in getting permission to spy on Page.

John Brennan testifies under oath that the Steele
dossier wasn’t used. He perjured himself, clear as day.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:14 AM   #19
Pete F.
Canceled

Floridaman was pursuing deals in Russia thru the election. He lied repeatedly about it to the American people. That should have been a sure tell.
There was no Russia collusion hoax. The IG found a properly predicated investigation. Mueller found a systematic plot by Russia to interfere in the US election, and that the president was aware of and sought to benefit from Russias assistance while lying to the public.
Has Floridaman presented any evidence to predicate an investigation by Ukraine into the Bidens? If there was no such evidence referred, how is it not a high crime & misdemeanour to demand a groundless foreign prosecution of a U.S. citizen.
If getting paid an inordinate amount of money to be on a board is a predicate for investigation, investigate Nikki Haley for being on the board of Boeing. What expertise does she have with aircraft?
Old 12-12-2019, 05:26 AM   #20
scottw

Quote:
Floridaman was pursuing deals in Russia thru the election. He lied repeatedly about it to the American people. That should have been a sure tell.
There was no Russia collusion hoax. The IG found a properly predicated investigation. Mueller found a systematic plot by Russia to interfere in the US election, and that the president was aware of and sought to benefit from Russias assistance while lying to the public.
Has Floridaman presented any evidence to predicate an investigation by Ukraine into the Bidens? If there was no such evidence referred, how is it not a high crime & misdemeanour to demand a groundless foreign prosecution of a U.S. citizen.
If getting paid an inordinate amount of money to be on a board is a predicate for investigation, investigate Nikki Haley for being on the board of Boeing. What expertise does she have with aircraft?
keep up the good work pete...you've at the very least convinced the guy in the mirror
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	217739_5_.png
Views:	382
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	66735  
Old 12-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
You crack me up at times. So this I assume is the only administration where issues having to do with fisa warrants have happened, give me a break; it’s been a problem forever. I’m not suggesting that isn’t a problem, but it isn’t the main problem moving forward.

Barr and his bulldog met ahead of the IG issuing the report, but guess what; they offered nothing to change their conclusions. Deep state gone. FBI and CIA coup gone. Help from a foreign power to interfere in our elections ongoing, I guess that’s no issue for you of course, as the means justify the end which is Trump has help getting elected.
"So this I assume is the only administration where issues having to do with fisa warrants have happened, give me a break; it’s been a problem forever'

What's your evidence of this? I'm not saying you can't be correct, but other than the fact that your statement serves your political agenda here, what is the evidence that it's true?

I also asked the question, multiple times here, of how common it is for the FBI to make a large number of serious mistakes when making FISA surveillance applications. I'm guessing neither one of us knows the answer.

But combine the errors with the fact that the target was a presidential campaign of the opposition party, and that a senior FBI agent involved claimed that "we will stop" Trump from becoming President, and it's troubling. Maybe not to Trump haters. But I'd bet every cent I own and all I could borrow that the most fervent anti Trumpers here would be signing a very different tune if Trump had made serious errors to get permission to spy on a democratic presidential campaign.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:24 AM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
You picked several sentences out of 6 Hours of testimony that you personally read/observed or you’re repeating talking points pushed by people that fit your narrative.
Keep defending without question your hero
Correct, I posted a few specific quotes. Maybe you would have posted a transcript of the entire 6 hours. I choose to limit it to the highlights.

Did I misquote him? Did he reverse himself later on, and retract the things I quoted? No he did not.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:37 AM   #23
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
"So this I assume is the only administration where issues having to do with fisa warrants have happened, give me a break; it’s been a problem forever'

What's your evidence of this? I'm not saying you can't be correct, but other than the fact that your statement serves your political agenda here, what is the evidence that it's true?

I also asked the question, multiple times here, of how common it is for the FBI to make a large number of serious mistakes when making FISA surveillance applications. I'm guessing neither one of us knows the answer.

But combine the errors with the fact that the target was a presidential campaign of the opposition party, and that a senior FBI agent involved claimed that "we will stop" Trump from becoming President, and it's troubling. Maybe not to Trump haters. But I'd bet every cent I own and all I could borrow that the most fervent anti Trumpers here would be signing a very different tune if Trump had made serious errors to get permission to spy on a democratic presidential campaign.
Past fisa abuse was part of the testimony yesterday, it’s not new. Why not address the pattern of Trump soliciting help from foreign powers to interfere in our elections and it’s still today going on by Rudy and who knows what happened behind closed doors with the Russian ambassador.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Past fisa abuse was part of the testimony yesterday, it’s not new. Why not address the pattern of Trump soliciting help from foreign powers to interfere in our elections and it’s still today going on by Rudy and who knows what happened behind closed doors with the Russian ambassador.
I happen to believe we're capable of doing two things at once. Let's investigate Trump and find out if the DOJ needs some fixing. If collectively we don't like what Trump is doing, we get to vote him out in November. We can't vote out career FBI agents, so it's also important that we know what's going on there, that they aren't abusing their authority.

The DOJ said very specifically, that the Steele dossier was what "put them over the top" in terms of getting the probable cause to spy on Steele. But it was so commonly known to be garbage, that no TV network would go near it. Knowingly using false data to suspend the civil rights of an American citizen, isn't a trivial thing to most Americans.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #25
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Funny if we don’t like what Trump is doing🤣, how about its the very reason the founders put in a means to remove a president abusing his power, not to mention its illegal to solicit help from a foreign power to interfere in our elections. Oh wait, that’s what this impeachment business is all about. Lindsey warned us when Trump was running what was coming.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #26
scottw

Quote:
Funny if we don’t like what Trump is doing🤣, how about its the very reason the founders put in a means to remove a president abusing his power, not to mention its illegal to solicit help from a foreign power to interfere in our elections. Oh wait, that’s what this impeachment business is all about. Lindsey warned us when Trump was running what was coming.
you are making things up
Old 12-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #27
wdmso

Quote:
"all youn ni have is old policys lack of Training'

Let's just start with this...how do you know that the agents who made the serious mistakes, did so from a lack of training? How could you possibly know, that they weren't fully trained but chose to ignore their training in pursuit of this warrant? PLease tell us what evidence you saw, that led you to believe that it was a lack of training, not a willful disregard for proper training, which led to the mistakes?

'no crime "

It wasn't a criminal probe. Durham is conducting a criminal probe, his results haven't been released. How about we wait and hear what he says. And let's be clear, I hope there was no crime, I don't want to think that the Obama Justice department broke the law in order to spy on the Trump campaign. I really, really hope that's not the case.

"If using Republicans defense of trump seeing they got the aid and no investigation was conducted there can be no crime"

More gibberish. Ukraine got the aid. Page was spied on. Neither you nor I know if the DOJ got permission to spy on Page by breaking the law.

"So if carter paige was never arrested never charged.. never went to jail wheres the crime..?"

If anyone knowingly provided false information to get a warrant to spy on him, that could be a crime. Misrepresentation an application to a FISA judge can be a crime.

"We know all about the others charged and jailed why is only paige Fisa warrant mentioned? Or the main focus ?"

Because using a debunked Steele dossier to get permission to suspend the rights of an American citizen, might be considered bad. Even if that citizen worked for the Trump campaign.

"
Jim he found no evidence that any of the mistakes were done with any criminal intent or bias or done on purpose... he even asked Dunham for information and he had nothing to add. ... hence this is usually lack of training. It doesn't make it ok. It just kills yours and the Republicans narrative That the FBI. (All of them) were working together to get Trump

And it typical Republican fashion they'll keep having investigations until one finally . Gives them what they want.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #28
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Jim he found no evidence that any of the mistakes were done with any criminal intent or bias or done on purpose... hence this is usually lack of training.

this is insane
Old 12-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #29
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
We can’t let go of our conspiracy theories, I know it’s insane, but it’s all we have to work with.
Your deep thoughts should be verbalized, it’s part of the healing process and I know you are all about process🤡🤡🤡.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #30
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
this is insane
Common sense is contraband here....

To many. Think they understand the inner workings of large organizations like the FBI with 35,000 employees while never working in such an environment