Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-25-2022, 05:00 PM   #1
wdmso

Kansas abortion vote set for Aug. 2

It’s funny I have said this should happen but of course the Republicans can’t help themselves they are so dishonest the vote isn’t going to happen during the general election nope

Republicans in the state legislature placed the abortion measure on the ballot as a special election alongside the previously scheduled primary, where traditionally only party-affiliated voters are allowed to vote. Many of the state’s unaffiliated voters — about 30 percent of the electorate — may not be aware they can vote this time, , a voter advocacy group, who called the move “blatantly anti-democratic.”

University of Kansas law professor Stephen McAllister, a former clerk for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas who served as the Trump-appointed U.S. attorney for Kansas, said that they are being disingenuous, and the real goal of the amendment is to pave the way for the Republican-led legislature to pass an outright abortion ban in its next session in January.

Just another example of the lack honesty of Republicans and commitment to free and fair elections.

Who are cowards to not hold the vote during a General election ..
Old 07-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #2
Jim in CT

you never heard of a referendum?

it’s undemocratic to let the people
vote for themselves? that’s the textbook definition of democratic.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-25-2022, 06:29 PM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Then put it on the general ballot in November when turnout is likely more robust….

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 07-25-2022, 06:53 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Then put it on the general ballot in November when turnout is likely more robust….
are they keeping it a secret? is that what you think? wdmso found out about it.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:35 PM   #5
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

No, it’s not a secret, but they are banking on lower turnout, dominated by older, more conservative voters. As you like to say, tell me that’s wrong and why they can’t put it on the general ballot in November.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:53 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
No, it’s not a secret, but they are banking on lower turnout, dominated by older, more conservative voters. As you like to say, tell me that’s wrong and why they can’t put it on the general ballot in November.
they also have early voting underway already. who does that favor? if you think abortion is infanticide, there’s urgency to having the vote asap. i’d want it today. isnt there some validity to that?

can i ask you a sincere question? i saw Faucci on tv, he was being grilled about the effect of covid vaccines on women’s menstrual cycles, Faucci admitted there was concern, and said “we need to study it more.”

isn’t that the kind of thing you study, before essentially forcing everyone to get 3 doses of the drug?

Old 07-25-2022, 09:02 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
they also have early voting underway already. who does that favor? if you think abortion is infanticide, there’s urgency to having the vote asap. i’d want it today. isnt there some validity to that?

can i ask you a sincere question? i saw Faucci on tv, he was being grilled about the effect of covid vaccines on women’s menstrual cycles, Faucci admitted there was concern, and said “we need to study it more.”

isn’t that the kind of thing you study, before essentially forcing everyone to get 3 doses of the drug?

444 deaths from Covid today in the USA.
We are just seeing the effects of long Covid.
Just how prolife are you?
Only fetuses count?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-25-2022, 09:23 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
444 deaths from Covid today in the USA.
We are just seeing the effects of long Covid.
Just how prolife are you?
Only fetuses count?
i asked about the effect on menstruation. i didn’t see you offer a syllable on that topic.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:38 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

https://youtu.be/faTNMTVsgAA
Old 07-25-2022, 09:40 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
https://youtu.be/faTNMTVsgAA
so you can’t make
me wrong, but you can’t bring yourself to say it.

jerk.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:42 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
i asked about the effect on menstruation. i didn’t see you offer a syllable on that topic.
Gotta keep the broodmares producing

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-26-2022, 08:06 AM   #12
wdmso

Quote:

Objectively isn’t your strong suit is it.

Any normal objective person sees this for what it is . and rock hound laid it out in the simplest of terms

But you seemed to have taken the GOP side ..

In a nut shell the GOP is doing what subway did .

Claiming to sell a 100% tuna sub (a Democratic vote) but minus the Tuna ( twisting and rushing a vote on a primary day )

While still saying their tuna sub is 100% tuna

Republicans are afraid of the ballot box that’s why they attack any attempts to make voting easy and accessible for everyone.

But gerrymandering the electoral college and voting restrictions are the way they can stay in power
Old 07-26-2022, 08:09 AM   #13
Pete F.
Canceled

“Women can’t have rights because they are ugly” is not the winning argument MAGAts like Jim and Matt Gaetz think it is.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:28 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Any normal objective person sees this for what it is . and rock hound laid it out in the simplest of terms

Claiming to sell a 100% tuna sub (a Democratic vote) but minus the Tuna ( twisting and rushing a vote on a primary day )

Republicans are afraid of the ballot box that’s why they attack any attempts to make voting easy and accessible for everyone.

But gerrymandering the electoral college and voting restrictions are the way they can stay in power
gerrymandering is bad? none of you cared when NY democrats did it and got caught.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:32 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:

objectively, if you consider abortion to be the murder of babies, you’d want that vote as soon as possible, so as to hopefully end the slaughter sooner rather than later

Sorry if that’s going too fast for you.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:45 AM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

A vote for Republican in November is a vote to eliminate abortion, to restrict contraception, to prevent interstate travel for reproductive care, and to eliminate Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

"Extreme" doesn't even begin to cover it.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:37 AM   #17
wdmso

Quote:
gerrymandering is bad? none of you cared when NY democrats did it and got caught.
yes they got caught and it didn't work but dont be honest Gerrymandering by Republicans is a policy to avoid American Voters and make GOP safe districts to avoid having to govern to get re elected

Again you are short on a historical perspective ... and everything the same
Old 07-26-2022, 10:46 AM   #18
wdmso

Quote:
objectively, if you consider abortion to be the murder of babies, you’d want that vote as soon as possible, so as to hopefully end the slaughter sooner rather than later

Sorry if that’s going too fast for you.
Abortion has been in world history since the beginning of time ...

All you wish to do is impose your beliefs on others as some righteous Zealot its the new GOP No different than the Sunnis in Iraq a religious and political minority. Whos only way to stay in power is to cheat and intimidate and lie and create a system where they are insulated by the vote of the Majority ... And who of course claim those in the Majority are tyrannical and are trying to oppress them and their religion .. By suggesting the liberal idea of treating All Americans equally Some how infringes on them and their life its all
Old 07-26-2022, 10:52 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
Abortion has been in world history since the beginning of time ...

All you wish to do is impose your beliefs on others as some righteous Zealot its the new GOP No different than the Sunnis in Iraq a religious and political minority. Whos only way to stay in power is to cheat and intimidate and lie and create a system where they are insulated by the vote of the Majority ... And who of course claim those in the Majority are tyrannical and are trying to oppress them and their religion .. By suggesting the liberal idea of treating All Americans equally Some how infringes on them and their life its all
you’re not hoping you’re beliefs become policy? i’m then only home who does that? sure.

it’s not totalitarian to be opposed to murder.

“just like
the sunnis.”

yup. just like them. how come everyone wants to move to red states?
Old 07-26-2022, 11:18 AM   #20
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
you’re not hoping you’re beliefs become policy? i’m then only home who does that? sure.

“just like
the sunnis.”

Yea you’ll be fine
Who needs teachers, doctors or any of those high falutin professionals

Headline
As professionals flee antiabortion policies, red states face a brain drain

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yea you’ll be fine

Headline
many places in the hot states ( TN, NC, SC, NH, FL) can’t put up $650,000 homes fast enough. you don’t think people buying those homes, care about schools and healthcare?

You’re clinging to the old liberal notion that sky high taxes are good, because younger what you pay for. Americans are realizing what bullsh*t that is.

I’m not saying WV and KY are better than the CT suburbs. But there are specific places in red states, where you can get a very similar quality of life compared to what you’d get in CT, for way less cost.

I’ve listed cities in NH ( Bow , Bedford, Hollis, Brookline, Amherst), some of the best schools
in the state. Zero state income tax, zero state sales tax. My brother moved to Franklin TN years ago, very low taxes, zero decrease in quality of life

You’re problem is, you think every square inch of all red states, is fried twinkies and trailer parks and meth labs. It’s simply not true, Americans are realizing it, and the exodus has begun.

No one cares that you don’t happen to like it.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:41 AM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:

Headline
that headline exists only in your psychosis. In the real world, productive citizens are fleeing blue states for red states, and it will get worse. In the next 15 years CT will be staring at impossible pension and healthcare benefits it can’t come close to paying. Massive tax hikes are coming, which will
exacerbate the exodus. Same thing coming in NJ and IL.

It’s elementary school arithmetic. It’s not complicated.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:07 PM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

That Headline was in a paper

Whatever makes you think red states are immune

“In February 2022, 14 of the top 50 metros had a rent share higher than 30% relative to the median household income,” Realtor.com reported. “The least affordable rental market was Miami, Fla., followed by western and Sun Belt metros like Los Angeles, Calif., Riverside, Calif., Tampa, Fla., and San Diego, Calif. In addition, affordability has worsened in each one of the 14 markets as the current rent share of income is higher than this time last year and also higher than the average for 2021 as a whole.”
Old 07-26-2022, 12:08 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yea you’ll be fine

Headline
here ya go Petie, this tool
let’s you look at national rankings of high schools. from US News and World report.

I live in a middle class Hartford suburb called southington. it’s a nice, very typical CT suburb. i pay all the usual CT taxes. the public high school is ranked 3,418th in the nation.

We looked at moving once, to Hollis NH. zero state income tax, zero state sales tax. Massive savings over CT. and the public high school
is ranked 1,119th in the nation. Much better.

I’m not saying every town in NH is great. What i’m saying, is that there are specific towns in red states ( and only in red states) that have a much better value proposition than comparable towns in blue states. there are beautiful places to live in CT. But they’re all insanely expensive., so they’re not all
a great value.

There’s no denying that.

what am i getting for all the taxes i pay in CT, that i wouldn’t get in a beautiful suburb in NH, TN, or NC?

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-12389

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-26-2022 at 12:14 PM..
Old 07-26-2022, 12:19 PM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
here ya go Petie, this tool
let’s you look at national rankings of high schools. from US News and World report.

I live in a middle class Hartford suburb called southington. it’s a nice, very typical CT suburb. i pay all the usual CT taxes. the public high school is ranked 3,418th in the national.

We looked at moving once, to Hollis NH. zero state income tax, zero state sales tax. Massive savings over CT. and the public high school
is ranked 1,119th in the nation. Much better.

I’m not saying every town in NH is great. What i’m
saying, is that there are specific towns in red states ( only in red states) that have a much better value proposition than comparable towns in blue states.

There’s no denying that.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-12389
You want to move to a state that has more liberals than CT and claim it’s because it’s nominally red?

In the last Presidential election, Hillsborough county flipped moderately Democratic, 52.8% to 45.2%.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-26-2022, 12:23 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
You want to move to a state that has more liberals than CT and claim it’s because it’s nominally red?

In the last Presidential election, Hillsborough county flipped moderately Democratic, 52.8% to 45.2%.
do you ever answer a question?

i’d move to a state to put more than $1,000 more in my pocket every single month. to change my kids’ lives.

NH isn’t more liberal than CT. are you saying it is? seriously?
Old 07-26-2022, 12:30 PM   #27
wdmso

Quote:

“just like
the sunnis.”

Your everyone wants to move to a red state again!

you need new material other than your repeated lie and red state fantasy…. Yet in the real world

After court ruling, activists push prayer into schools
They say church and state are already too separate

Yep another real world example of the minority trying to impose their religious views … in public and government spaces ..
Old 07-26-2022, 12:43 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Your everyone wants to move to a red state again!

you need new material other than your repeated lie and red state fantasy…. Yet in the real world

After court ruling, activists push prayer into schools
They say church and state are already too separate

Yep another real world example of the minority trying to impose their religious views … in public and government spaces ..
i’m lying when i say people
are moving from blue states to red states?
Old 07-26-2022, 12:44 PM   #29
wdmso

Here is a story that of course completely makes Jim’s claim of people moving to red states are solely political and Jim please don’t say you never suggested that “ yup. just like them. how come everyone wants to move to red states?”

When the truth is How’s the internet services seems to be the number 1 concern of people looking to move into what’s considered rural community

Americans are moving to rural areas in ever-increasing numbers, reflecting their increased desire to seek out more space, embrace entrepreneurial opportunities, and take advantage of a lower cost of living. Politics was last on the list

DECIDING FACTORS
However, one factor, internet service, would be the deciding factor for 67% of those who responded to the Paulsen and Audience Audit survey.

Ultimately, many Americans would consider making a move if there had a reliable internet connection. This is one of the biggest issues that some folks have with the rural migration. If there is no service, then many people will not be able to keep their jobs and work from home

Among the top reasons that survey respondents said that they moved to a rural area include:

More land or space around home
Fewer people
More home for less money
Safe environment with clean air and water
Lower cost of living
No traffic
Different culture
Living in a place with different political affiliation

https://www.aem.org/news/the-rural-m...ere-its-headed
Old 07-26-2022, 12:46 PM   #30
wdmso

Quote:
i’m lying when i say people
are moving from blue states to red states?
No Jim your lying about the reason. And you keep saying it over and over and over . Suggesting they are fleeing blue states to red states based on politics