Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-24-2022, 03:10 AM   #31
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

You do understand if only electric cars and trucks were on the roads

Electric generation won’t be just wind and solar . Not sure why you keep thinking that’s how it will work

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
here is an article regarding the shuttering of your plant...Conservation Law Foundation and it's Allies take credit for the closing....it mentions what will they believe replace coal...."wind and solar and efficiency"...what are the others you speak of? https://www.clf.org/blog/brayton-poi...nt-shuts-down/
they are apparently not a fan of natural gas and is looks like worldwide we have only about 50 years of supply at current consumption levels anyway so that's not a long term solution and not a renewable

I read that about 1/3rd of 1% of the cars on the road currently are electric....

google..."electricity shortage"
Old 08-24-2022, 06:36 AM   #32
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
here is an article regarding the shuttering of your plant...Conservation Law Foundation and it's Allies take credit for the closing....it mentions what will they believe replace coal...."wind and solar and efficiency"...what are the others you speak of? https://www.clf.org/blog/brayton-poi...nt-shuts-down/
they are apparently not a fan of natural gas and is looks like worldwide we have only about 50 years of supply at current consumption levels anyway so that's not a long term solution and not a renewable

I read that about 1/3rd of 1% of the cars on the road currently are electric....

Poor troll, 100 years ago electrical power was nonexistent outside of towns, in the following 30 years almost all Americans had electricity.
Google….”change”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-24-2022, 01:51 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
You think like some people in Texas after getting 10 inch’s of rain in 24hrs they think their drought is over

You apply the same logic to Climate

You’re waiting for that one big Idea to happen and fix everything

Electric generation won’t be just wind and solar . Not sure why you keep thinking that’s how it will work

We have an old infrastructure and change is slow . And it’s even slower when one party wants to protect oil and gas . Then they care to protect future Americans.

There’s a reason why you can take a train any where in Europe quickly
Or use reliable public transportation

as for extra generation ask the private power companies who shuttered 2 in my town they refused to convert them to Gas or there wasn’t enough gas infrastructure

They removed more power from the grid in a day then I’d wager all the electric cars in the Us
who says i’m waiting for one big
idea fix everything?

you make tons of assumptions. very few are accurate or correct.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:53 PM   #34
wdmso

Quote:

Wow They took credit.. yep trying to reduce a know pollution producer who built and spent millions on cooling towers because the destruction of the Bay

But truth is

In 2014, Dominion sold Brayton Point to the private equity firm Energy Capital Partners. The company, based in New Jersey but incorporated in the Cayman Islands, bought the plant and two others for less than half the price Dominion paid for the environmental improvements.

And then, just six weeks after the deal closed

Energy Capital Partners deliberately manipulated the wholesale market for electricity, single-handedly turning the region's energy supply from a surplus to a deficit.

"Their whole plan was to buy Brayton Point so that they could prematurely close it in order to create an artificial shortage to drive prices up," he explained. "Prices went up by more than a billion dollars — a huge price increase — all to be paid for by New England ratepayers. It's exactly what Enron did."

But please keep blaming environmentalists
Old 08-24-2022, 01:55 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
You think like some people in Texas after getting 10 inch’s of rain in 24hrs they think their drought is over

We have an old infrastructure and change is slow . And it’s even slower when one party wants to protect oil and gas . Then they care to protect future Americans.

as for extra generation ask the private power companies who shuttered 2 in my town they refused to convert them to Gas or there wasn’t enough gas infrastructure

They removed more power from the grid in a day then I’d wager all the electric cars in the Us
believe me, I understand that additional electricity won’t come from just wind and solar. That's precisely why I asked you where it would come from, and you wouldn’t. answer. how come? if you have no idea, and clearly you don’t, why are you advocating for switching to more electricity?

I’m convinced that many liberals thing that batteries generate their own electricity.

Are we all supposed to walk around rubbing balloons on our heads all day? the left is opposed to coal, adamantly opposed to nuclear ( by far the most realistic and least environmentally intrusive option), maybe hugs and unicorns will power all those electric cars that are coming.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-24-2022 at 03:07 PM..
Old 08-31-2022, 05:06 PM   #36
scottw

classic.....

CALIFORNIA (WTVO)California asks residents not to charge electric vehicles, days after announcing gas car ban
by: John Clark
Posted: Aug 31, 2022
Old 08-31-2022, 06:49 PM   #37
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Well, horse and buggy is green
Old 08-31-2022, 07:31 PM   #38
wdmso

Quote:
classic.....

CALIFORNIA (WTVO)California asks residents not to charge electric vehicles, days after announcing gas car ban
by: John Clark
Posted: Aug 31, 2022
But of course you left out the reason why. Imagine that .Such honesty

So you think this event isn’t related to climate change or any of the droughts or record breaking rains are just incidental

The actual alert

Wednesday, Aug. 31 – 11 a.m.
The California ISO has issued a Flex Alert for today, Aug. 31 from 4-9 p.m., due to high heat across the state and supply uncertainties. View the news release here.
More Flex Alerts are likely through the holiday weekend, as excessive heat is forecast to blanket most of California, and supplies are expected to be tight in the afternoon and evening, when solar production rolls off and demand remains high.
The ISO also issued an Energy Emergency Alert (EEA) Watch, effective 5 to 8 p.m. today, to access additional resources and prepare market participants and the public for potential energy shortages and the need to conserve. View our Emergency Notifications fact sheet for more information.
Consumer conservation will be critical to stabilizing the grid and maintaining electricity flow today.
• A Flex Alert is in effect today, from 4-9 p.m.
• We are experiencing some of the highest load levels of the year.
• We are monitoring weather conditions in neighboring areas, which impacts our ability to
import power from other grids.
• Overnight temperatures are staying high, which makes buildings and infrastructure
retain heat and can cause people to run air conditioners more.
• During multiple days of heat, generators that have been running at top speed can fail or
trip offline unexpectedly.
• We also have to expect the unexpected, meaning we need to be prepared for any
unplanned event that could tighten energy supplies.
• We called a Flex Alert to ask consumers to reduce electricity use from 4-9 p.m. today.
• That is the most critical time on the grid, because solar production is going offline, but
temperatures remain high.
The most important actions we’re encouraging consumers to take are:
 Pre-cool your homes before 4 p.m. and then set the thermostat to 78 degrees or higher
from 4 to 9 p.m., if health permits.
 Defer use of major appliances from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Run your dishwasher and washing
machine earlier or later.
 Turn off all unnecessary lights from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
 Cook your meals earlier in the day to save energy and keep your home cooler.
 Avoid charging EVs from 4-9 p.m., if possible. Instead, charge them before 4 p.m. when
solar production is abundant and electricity prices are likely lower.
We don’t anticipate any rotating power outages at this time.
This is the second Flex Alert of the 2022 summer season
Old 08-31-2022, 07:52 PM   #39
scottw

Quote:
not enough electricity........
Old 09-01-2022, 04:19 AM   #40
wdmso

Quote:
Like I said you ignored the reasons
Old 09-01-2022, 05:31 AM   #41
scottw

Quote:
make sure you unplug your electric toaster when you aren't using to save electricity
Old 09-01-2022, 07:11 AM   #42
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

You posted this long diatribe…

Quote:

So you think this event isn’t related to climate change or any of the droughts or record breaking rains are just incidental

The actual alert

Wednesday, Aug. 31 – 11 a.m.
The California ISO has issued a Flex Alert for today, Aug. 31 from 4-9 p.m., due to high heat across the state and supply uncertainties. View the news release here.
More Flex Alerts are likely through the holiday weekend, as excessive heat is forecast to blanket most of California, and supplies are expected to be tight in the afternoon and evening, when solar production rolls off and demand remains high.
The ISO also issued an Energy Emergency Alert (EEA) Watch, effective 5 to 8 p.m. today, to access additional resources and prepare market participants and the public for potential energy shortages and the need to conserve. View our Emergency Notifications fact sheet for more information.
Consumer conservation will be critical to stabilizing the grid and maintaining electricity flow today.
• A Flex Alert is in effect today, from 4-9 p.m.
• We are experiencing some of the highest load levels of the year.
• We are monitoring weather conditions in neighboring areas, which impacts our ability to
import power from other grids.
• Overnight temperatures are staying high, which makes buildings and infrastructure
retain heat and can cause people to run air conditioners more.
• During multiple days of heat, generators that have been running at top speed can fail or
trip offline unexpectedly.
• We also have to expect the unexpected, meaning we need to be prepared for any
unplanned event that could tighten energy supplies.
• We called a Flex Alert to ask consumers to reduce electricity use from 4-9 p.m. today.
• That is the most critical time on the grid, because solar production is going offline, but
temperatures remain high.
The most important actions we’re encouraging consumers to take are:
 Pre-cool your homes before 4 p.m. and then set the thermostat to 78 degrees or higher
from 4 to 9 p.m., if health permits.
 Defer use of major appliances from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Run your dishwasher and washing
machine earlier or later.
 Turn off all unnecessary lights from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
 Cook your meals earlier in the day to save energy and keep your home cooler.
 Avoid charging EVs from 4-9 p.m., if possible. Instead, charge them before 4 p.m. when
solar production is abundant and electricity prices are likely lower.
We don’t anticipate any rotating power outages at this time.
This is the second Flex Alert of the 2022 summer season
Which basically can be summed up with these 3 words….

Quote:
Yet you can’t comprehend that….amazing

Quote:

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-01-2022, 08:21 AM   #43
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

TDF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECEB6530-64E5-4B40-BBF0-C43C34FED225.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	69155  

Old 09-01-2022, 08:44 AM   #44
Jim in CT

Quote:
That would be the reason. Pretty simple.

Not enough electricity for todays needs, yet they want everyone to drive electric vehicles soon, and are of course adamantly opposed to nuclear power or coal to generate the additional needed electricity.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:47 AM   #45
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
TDF
Aren't the horse farts bad for the ozone layer?
Old 09-01-2022, 08:54 AM   #46
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Aren't the horse farts bad for the ozone layer?
I’m sure California will have a set of Emission standards and regulations for them before they can get a sticker

Old 09-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:

you keep dismissing me as waiting for a big idea. i keep
telling you you’re wrong, i have solar panels and a Nissan Leaf. yet you keep saying it for some reason.

i’m waiting for any and all ideas which work. You’re waiting for whatever comes out of the mouth of democrats.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:20 AM   #48
Jim in CT

wdmso, here’s the downside to going way too far, way too fast…

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...sis-warning-us
Old 09-01-2022, 11:11 AM   #49
wdmso

Quote:
wdmso, here’s the downside to going way too far, way too fast…

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...sis-warning-us
do you even take time to read or understand whos feeding you BS information

you are a sheep Jim and fox is your shepherd

your EXPERTS are Rystad Energy is an independent energy research and business intelligence company headquartered in Oslo, Norway. It is the biggest independent energy consultancy in Norway, and a world-leading analysis company for the oil and gas industry
'There's been under-investment in fossil fuels in Europe,' an analyst from research firm Rystad Energy tells FOX Business

EU Power Market Not Working Thanks to Putin, Von Der Leyen Says

Von der Leyen blamed the record price increases on Russia's invasion of Ukraine which has upended global energy markets but added that the crisis was evidence the bloc needed to transition further to green energy. Russia has throttled natural gas supplies to Europe in response to the EU's sanction packages introduced following the February invasion.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #50
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
You posted this long diatribe…

Which basically can be summed up with these 3 words….

Yet you can’t comprehend that….amazing

why is there a possible shortage .. i'll give you a hint it's not EV's

All we just get is another comment from the peanut gallery .
Old 09-01-2022, 11:21 AM   #51
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

I’ll give you a hint, Scott never said it was caused by EV’s

All we just get is another comment based on something that was never said

Shocking

Old 09-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #52
Pete F.
Canceled

Who’s adamantly opposed to nuclear?

As for coal it’s been uneconomical for a while and pretty much all developed countries are trying to not use it, I doubt you’ll find anyone willing to invest the money to bring it back.

I’m old enough to remember off peak rates and using it for domestic hot water and electric heat.
In the same vein, some power companies are now funding on site battery storage, charged with solar OR off peak power.
It can then be used to reduce peak grid demand and is also available for power outages.
Don’t panic, it will get there in a number of ways.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:42 PM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:

As TDF said, as always you responded to something no one even came close to saying. Where did anyone say that the shortage was caused by EVs?

Try to follow Wayne...

Today, there isn't enough electricity for CA's current demand. Yet the state is mandating that soon no more gas vehicles can be sold new, so that means there will be more EVs, which means energy needs will meaningfully increase.

People who live in the real world, would say that before you switch people to EVs, it's a good idea to make sure you have the infastructure to support that. Ideologues don't worry about such trivial details.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #54
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Who’s adamantly opposed to nuclear?

As for coal it’s been uneconomical for a while and pretty much all developed countries are trying to not use it, I doubt you’ll find anyone willing to invest the money to bring it back.

I’m old enough to remember off peak rates and using it for domestic hot water and electric heat.
In the same vein, some power companies are now funding on site battery storage, charged with solar OR off peak power.
It can then be used to reduce peak grid demand and is also available for power outages.
"Who’s adamantly opposed to nuclear?"

Stupid people. Including a majority on your side. From the Gallup poll...

"Democrats continue to be far less likely than Republicans to favor using it. The pattern is in line with Democratic-leaning environmental groups' long-standing opposition to nuclear power; this has been focused on concerns about the environmental risks posed by nuclear waste and accidents, as well as their preference for renewable energy such as wind, solar and geothermal. Currently, 39% of Democrats versus 60% of Republicans and 53% of independents favor nuclear energy"

https://news.gallup.com/poll/392831/...ar-energy.aspx
Old 09-01-2022, 06:59 PM   #55
wdmso

Quote:
As TDF said, as always you responded to something no one even came close to saying. Where did anyone say that the shortage was caused by EVs?

Try to follow Wayne...

Today, there isn't enough electricity for CA's current demand. Yet the state is mandating that soon no more gas vehicles can be sold new, so that means there will be more EVs, which means energy needs will meaningfully increase.

People who live in the real world, would say that before you switch people to EVs, it's a good idea to make sure you have the infastructure to support that. Ideologues don't worry about such trivial details.

Jim you don’t live in the real world you live in your world

You can’t even see peoples intent with their posts . With the same tired excuses if I didn’t spell it out exactly I didn’t mean it.

The request to reduce power consumption is do to excessive heat And expected use of what’s called air conditioners

And no way ties in to no new gas cars by 2035

Caused by you guessed it climate change.

We have the infrastructure for EVs we don’t have the infrastructure for extreme climate events .
But don’t let facts get in your way

And Read an actual news story from someplace other than fox or the Washington examiner

Oh look

Virginia revealed it is bound by a 2021 state law to also phase out gas-powered cars by 2035. However, Attorney General Jason Miyares’s (R) office said in a statement it hopes the state repeals the law Republicans once again going against voters

This year, Dodge announced announced it would discontinue gas-powered muscle cars the Charger and Challenger.

Conservatives clinging to the past like a rat clinging to a sinking ship

Last edited by wdmso; 09-01-2022 at 07:07 PM..
Old 09-01-2022, 08:40 PM   #56
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim you don’t live in the real world you live in your world

You can’t even see peoples intent with their posts . With the same tired excuses if I didn’t spell it out exactly I didn’t mean it.

The request to reduce power consumption is do to excessive heat And expected use of what’s called air conditioners

And no way ties in to no new gas cars by 2035

Caused by you guessed it climate change.

We have the infrastructure for EVs we don’t have the infrastructure for extreme climate events .
But don’t let facts get in your way

And Read an actual news story from someplace other than fox or the Washington examiner

Oh look

Virginia revealed it is bound by a 2021 state law to also phase out gas-powered cars by 2035. However, Attorney General Jason Miyares’s (R) office said in a statement it hopes the state repeals the law Republicans once again going against voters

This year, Dodge announced announced it would discontinue gas-powered muscle cars the Charger and Challenger.

Conservatives clinging to the past like a rat clinging to a sinking ship

so after CA band gas cars and everyone buys EVs, it won’t be hot anymore, and no one will run their A/C. that’s what you’re saying?

How do you know that the conditions creating today’s need, won’t also exist when everyone has EVs?

youre making some big assumptions.

“we have the infastructure for EVs”

we have enough charging stations for tens of millions of EVs, and enough power to charge them? sure we do wdmso.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:15 PM   #57
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

"Democrats continue to be far less likely than Republicans to favor using it. The pattern is in line with Democratic-leaning environmental groups' long-standing opposition to nuclear power; this has been focused on concerns about the environmental risks posed by nuclear waste and accidents, as well as their preference for renewable energy such as wind, solar and geothermal. Currently, 39% of Democrats versus 60% of Republicans and 53% of independents favor nuclear energy"

So according to you 40% of Republicans, 47% of independents and 61% of Democrats are stupid.

It’s impossible, is not one of them.
In a hundred years we went from horse and buggy to a man on the moon, and it seems you still think the earth is flat.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-02-2022, 03:53 PM   #58
wdmso

Quote:

Your just a parrot repeating what your told try doing some research

The average age of U.S. commercial nuclear power reactors that were operational as of December 31, 2021, was about 40 years. The oldest operating reactor is Nine Mile Point 1 in New York, which entered commercial service in December 1969. The newest reactor to enter service is Tennessee’s Watts Bar Unit 2, which began operation in June 2016. The next-youngest operating reactor is Watts Bar Unit 1, also in Tennessee, which entered service in May 1996.

cost is nuclear's Achilles' heel. Modern-day reactors have become jarringly expensive to build, going for $5 billion to $10 billion a pop. Worse, the price tag seems to be rising in many places. Back in the 1960s, new reactors in the US were one of the cheaper energy sources around. Two decades later, after a series of missteps, those costs had increased sixfold — a big reason we stopped building plants.

EIA calculates overnight construction costs for new US power plants ordered in 2014. Advanced nuclear reactors are estimated to cost $5,366 for every kilowatt of capacity. That means a large 1-gigawatt reactor would cost around $5.4 billion to build, excluding financing costs. By contrast, a new wind farm costs just $1,980 per kilowatt. A new gas plant costs just $912 per kilowatt, or one-fifth as much. (This isn't a perfect comparison, since reactors run at capacity more often than wind farms or gas plants. But even if you adjust for capacity factors, those construction costs make nuclear uncompetitive. High upfront costs can also scare off investors.)

Keep thinking it’s liberals fault
Old 09-02-2022, 04:01 PM   #59
wdmso

Quote:
so after CA band gas cars and everyone buys EVs, it won’t be hot anymore, and no one will run their A/C. that’s what you’re saying?

How do you know that the conditions creating today’s need, won’t also exist when everyone has EVs?

youre making some big assumptions.

“we have the infastructure for EVs”

we have enough charging stations for tens of millions of EVs, and enough power to charge them? sure we do wdmso.
You must own a treadmill you just always seem to run in place

In your world airplanes cars and trains and their infrastructure all showed up at the same time , I guess highways bridges also just happened The infrastructure for EV will follow its logical path like the rest of history’s inventions .. and here I thought your horse a buggy thing was a joke seems your seriously upset to have left that behind
Old 09-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #60
scottw

"France to build up to 14 new nuclear reactors by 2050, says Macron. Emmanuel Macron has announced a “renaissance” for the French nuclear industry with a vast programme to build as many as 14 new reactors, arguing that it would help end the country's reliance on fossil fuels and make France carbon neutral by 2050." Feb 10, 2022

"California's last nuclear plant – scheduled to fully shut down by 2025 – has been given renewed life. California lawmakers voted on Wednesday to delay the closure of the Diablo Canyon facility by five years, after the governor warned the state could face rolling blackouts if its twin reactors were retired too soon." 1 day ago