Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-25-2022, 01:05 PM   #61
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you keep making less sense ....
Do you think I've ever cared what you think?

Your a snarky troll who is such a #^&#^&#^&#^& that he would actually point out typos.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:07 PM   #62
Pete F.
Canceled

If you’re a Christian and mad about the possibility of student loan debt being canceled, let me remind you that your entire religion is based on a debt you couldn’t pay that someone stepped in and paid for you.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-25-2022, 01:08 PM   #63
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
We also used to at least, give student loan interest deductions. This isn't that. Not even close.
he's arguing that we should do the right thing and create even more unfairness.....
Old 08-25-2022, 01:09 PM   #64
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Do you think I've ever cared what you think?

Your a snarky troll who is such a #^&#^&#^&#^& that he would actually point out typos.
it's not my fault that you don't make sense...if insulting me makes you feel better...I forgive you
Old 08-25-2022, 01:11 PM   #65
PaulS

Quote:
it's not my fault that you don't make sense...if insulting me makes you feel better...I forgive you
I lobbed up a typo for you. I would have thought you would be all over it so it could put a smile on your face.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:16 PM   #66
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I lobbed up a typo for you.
Probably wasn’t funny or ironic….
Old 08-25-2022, 01:46 PM   #67
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
he's arguing that we should do the right thing and create even more unfairness.....
Didn’t you ever learn, life’s not fair

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-25-2022, 01:59 PM   #68
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
I was responding to Jim responding to Eben,,,,,,lay off the coffee
No, Scott. You are wrong. You, again, used a generalization about a specific group into which I would be a member of; people who took out student loans. Period. Done. You can't change that. You made the statement. Have the balls to stand by it, even amend it. But don't insult me for pointing out a response to your statement.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 08-25-2022, 02:05 PM   #69
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
No, Scott. You are wrong. You, again, used a generalization about a specific group into which I would be a member of; people who took out student loans. Period. Done. You can't change that. You made the statement. Have the balls to stand by it, even amend it. But don't insult me for pointing out a response to your statement.
I cannot believe Scott has any issue with people who took out student loans, my wife and I both did. And I don't have an issue with anyone taking advantage of this program if they are eligible. Personally, I have issues with people who have felt entitled to this and advocated for it.
Old 08-25-2022, 02:07 PM   #70
Pete F.
Canceled

For most Americans, a strong system of public education is a core value.

Extremists want to destroy that in any and all forms.

Don’t let them.

As a Boomer myself, my generation didn't work hard to get the benefits we had, our parents & grandparents did. They didn't say "I didn't have that so why should you?" They said, "I want better for the next generations." Their boomer kids said "I'm good. Ef’m!”
Old 08-25-2022, 02:12 PM   #71
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
i have a neighbor who’s kid didn’t want to go to college. he took out a small business loan and bought a trailer and some landscaping equipment, owns his own little business

Give me one conceivable reason why a student loan gets forgiven, but not his business loan?

answer - student loans enrich colleges which are huge allies of the democrat party.

this is also a huge transfer of wealth from the poor to the upper class.

Gonna run up the BS flag on you here. First you need to back up your answer with facts about how student loans and their forgiveness directly enrich colleges. I am sure you can come up with bullet proof documentation... And secondly, let's pull the name of the kid's landscaping business and the town he is in. I will put money down that he got a PPP loan, and maybe two, since forgiven, that would be twice what i made during those two years. Tell me how that loan was more deserving please....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 08-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #72
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

$800 Billion in the PPP boondoggle makes this look like well spent chump change. The #^&#^&#^&#^& people get crazy about and they conveniently forget when they benefitted from going to the well.....

Old 08-25-2022, 02:38 PM   #73
scottw

Quote:
are you drunk?

I didn't respond to you...I responded to Jim

I took out student loans and paid them off, I married someone who had student loans and we paid them off, I have two kids in college who have student loans and we will pay them off...

get over yourself tough guy....I never insulted you...

...I didn't even know you were here
Old 08-25-2022, 02:39 PM   #74
scottw

Quote:
.. And secondly, let's pull the name of the kid's landscaping business and the town he is in. I will put money down that he got a PPP loan, and maybe two, since forgiven, that would be twice what i made during those two years. Tell me how that loan was more deserving please....
so weak,,,,,,,
Old 08-25-2022, 03:01 PM   #75
Pete F.
Canceled

I have friends in Canada, where college tuition runs <9K (in American $), everyone has health insurance & maternity leave lasts a year. Also, abortion is both legal & publicly funded.
Debt, nah, it’s less
Old 08-25-2022, 03:08 PM   #76
wdmso

Quote:
are you drunk?

I didn't respond to you...I responded to Jim

I took out student loans and paid them off, I married someone who had student loans and we paid them off, I have two kids in college who have student loans and we will pay them off...

get over yourself tough guy....I never insulted you...

...I didn't even know you were here

I have two kids in college who have student loans and we will pay them off...

Minus 10K each? because this could apply to their loans
Old 08-25-2022, 04:54 PM   #77
Jim in CT

Quote:
$800 Billion in the PPP boondoggle makes this look like well spent chump change. The #^&#^&#^&#^& people get crazy about and they conveniently forget when they benefitted from going to the well.....
i didn’t like PPP either, but that was done to save jobs that weren’t lost by anyone’s choice, they were lost because the government shut them down.

the government didn’t force anybody to take out any student loans.

why should a poor person struggling every month, bear the burden of someone making 250k who chose to take out loans? other then the fact that you like that you’re benefitting, what’s the logic?
Old 08-25-2022, 04:59 PM   #78
Jim in CT

Quote:
Gonna run up the BS flag on you here. First you need to back up your answer with facts about how student loans and their forgiveness directly enrich colleges. I am sure you can come up with bullet proof documentation... And secondly, let's pull the name of the kid's landscaping business and the town he is in. I will put money down that he got a PPP loan, and maybe two, since forgiven, that would be twice what i made during those two years. Tell me how that loan was more deserving please....
call back all you want.

government-backed loans are a huge boon to colleges. The college has absolutely zero risk because they get their money up front.

economics 101. cheap money makes prices higher.

this will make it way worse. kids will
assume future loans will
be transferred away from
them, so why not take out a stupid loan?

i don’t have documentation. it’s common sense. if students were forced to rely on savings, colleges would be forced to lower prices.

you can’t win this one with logic. because there isn’t any to support it. it’s a vote buying transfer of wealth that will benefit affluent people
far more than it will benefit poor people.

business owners were victims of ( it turns out) stupid state governments shutting down the economy. the business owners didn’t choose to shut down the economy

your kids chose to take out the loans. big, big difference.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:14 PM   #79
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Minus 10K each? because this could apply to their loans
how would that be wayne?...is this going to be permanent for loans going forward into the future? are all future college students going to be able to count on brandon knocking 10 grand off their total? do the kids that continued to pay their loans during the time the loans were not being repaid over the last few years get a refund for being responsible?
Old 08-25-2022, 06:31 PM   #80
wdmso

Quote:
how would that be wayne?...is this going to be permanent for loans going forward into the future? are all future college students going to be able to count on brandon knocking 10 grand off their total? do the kids that continued to pay their loans during the time the loans were not being repaid over the last few years get a refund for being responsible?
Seems if they have a government loans from the programs listed .
why shouldn’t they qualify. That’s all.

And most who are qualified to get the 10k waved . Haven’t stopped paying their loans or suddenly going to stop paying what they owe.

Many have stopped paying the past and many will in the future . But that’s with any loan

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 08-25-2022 at 06:41 PM..
Old 08-25-2022, 06:32 PM   #81
wdmso

Millions in covid aid went to retrain veterans. Only 397 landed jobs.
Nearly $400 million went to a veteran retraining program as part of the American Rescue Plan

Not sure why Republicans aren’t outraged over that. Or dems f
Old 08-25-2022, 07:22 PM   #82
scottw

Quote:
Seems if they have a government loans from the programs listed .
why shouldn’t they qualify. That’s all.

They are still in school….
Old 08-25-2022, 07:39 PM   #83
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I guess they haven’t graduated and gotten all those high paying Gender Studies jobs they are trained for

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-25-2022, 08:51 PM   #84
Jim in CT

comparing this to PPP forgiveness is wrong. When people took that PPP money, the agreement was that it would
not have to be repaid if the business owner used most to pay employees and if they agreed to hire employees back after the lockdowns ended. It was not set up as a loan to be repaid

With student loans, the borrowers promised to repay borrowed money.

Just do what you said you’d do, and keep your entitled hands out of my wallet.

No comparison.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:18 PM   #85
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Ah the outrage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	463D4EFA-8CC4-426C-AA9C-ABB606B9370E.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	69122  
Old 08-26-2022, 03:47 PM   #86
wdmso

Quote:
didn't think still being in school (college ) stopped anyone from getting relief . Many people got the relief who never finished school
Old 08-26-2022, 03:48 PM   #87
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Ah the outrage
Old 08-26-2022, 03:55 PM   #88
wdmso

Quote:
comparing this to PPP forgiveness is wrong. When people took that PPP money, the agreement was that it would
not have to be repaid if the business owner used most to pay employees and if they agreed to hire employees back after the lockdowns ended. It was not set up as a loan to be repaid

With student loans, the borrowers promised to repay borrowed money.

Just do what you said you’d do, and keep your entitled hands out of my wallet.

No comparison.
They came into their riches by participating in what experts say is the theft of as much as $80 billion — or about 10 percent — of the $800 billion handed out in a Covid relief plan known as the Paycheck Protection Program, or PPP. That’s on top of the $90 billion to $400 billion believed to have been stolen from the $900 billion Covid unemployment relief program — at least half taken by fraudsters

yep its funny to see your comparisons . then claim there's no comparison

Bidens committing Theft of hard working americans giving liberals loan relief in your eyes and republican messaging ..

But you and your party are more concerned about hunters Laptop then recovering all this taxpayer Money

Why is That?
Old 08-26-2022, 05:53 PM   #89
Jim in CT

Quote:
They came into their riches by participating in what experts say is the theft of as much as $80 billion — or about 10 percent — of the $800 billion handed out in a Covid relief plan known as the Paycheck Protection Program, or PPP. That’s on top of the $90 billion to $400 billion believed to have been stolen from the $900 billion Covid unemployment relief program — at least half taken by fraudsters

yep its funny to see your comparisons . then claim there's no comparison

Bidens committing Theft of hard working americans giving liberals loan relief in your eyes and republican messaging ..

But you and your party are more concerned about hunters Laptop then recovering all this taxpayer Money

Why is That?
PPP wasnt a loan that businesses agreed to pay back. the agreement was that it wouldnt have to be repaid if conditions were met.

Student loans were a contract that stipulated repayment. Everyone who took out a loan, including my wife and i, chose to do so

Student loans are nothing like PPP.
Old 08-27-2022, 03:35 AM   #90
scottw

Quote:

didn't think still being in school (college ) stopped anyone from getting relief .
think about how stupid this is....