Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-18-2016, 05:59 PM   #31
Sea Dangles

Yes, time out has been called for self evaluation. Stomping feet and clenched fists go to the front of the line.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
May be time for a new therapist Jim.
When you cannot refute what I am saying, you can always log on, hurl a baseless insult, and scurry off. Waving a white flag wouldn't be a more obvious sign of defeat.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Meanwhile, a Harvard professor just looked at 15 years of data, and concluded that there is zero racial bias in the incidents of police shootings (but there was a difference in the use of non lethal force). So let's shut up about anyone claiming that black lives don't matter, and figure out what's causing the discrepancy in the use of non lethal force.

I am sure Obama will soon be quoting the statistics from his alma mater. Since he cares about unity, and all. Right Spence?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/up...ings.html?_r=0
Old 07-19-2016, 05:40 AM   #34
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I think he won't do it bc he knows it will make the teabaggers angrier and angrier.
yeah...remember all of those angry tea party terrorists shooting, looting and disrupting traffic and people's lives...that was great
Old 07-19-2016, 05:59 AM   #35
Jim in CT

Everyone in the media and in politics knows about the Harvard study which shows zero racial bias in the numbers of police shootings. But Black Lives Matter is still making the claims that this study debunks, and no one on the left is admitting that the study shows that there is no validity to the BLM movement. This is why I say that you cannot be intellectually honest and be a liberal. They only care about that which supports The Narrative, they are incapable of accepting facts which indicate otherwise.

Spence, there have been times here when you have proven me wrong (like when I claimed that when Obama was in Hiroshima, that he said evil fell from the sky, you showed me the facts, and I admitted I was wrong). With that in mind, what do you think this study does to the validity of the entire Black Lives Matter premise?

In a related story, The Narrative just checked itself into rehab.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:32 AM   #36
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
yeah...remember all of those angry tea party terrorists shooting, looting and disrupting traffic and people's lives...that was great
Those are criminals.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #37
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
In other words, you think he's a spiteful, vindictive little brat. Glad I got you to inadvertently admit that...
I think he is just throwing it in their face. Call it what you will.

Prob. better than your usual "he is a POS".
Old 07-19-2016, 06:40 AM   #38
PaulS

Quote:
Words matter. The truth matters.

That is so funny I had to quote it 2x.

From a person who is a member of a group where like 50% believed he the Pres. was a Muslim and think he was born in Kenya. Also, where EVERY Presidential candidate was judged to have been more dishonest then EVERY Presidential candidate of the Dem. party.

Jus saw on the news Melania seems to be having issues of her own. Stole some of her speach. She should just admit she used part of other people's speach - no big deal. But it is the Trump way.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:49 AM   #39
DZ

Just saw the Melania plagiarism story - sounds like she needs to apologize and probably fire one of the speech writers.

That said the rest of the convention's first night was outstanding.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:51 AM   #40
PaulS

Quote:
Meanwhile, a Harvard professor just looked at 15 years of data, and concluded that there is zero racial bias in the incidents of police shootings (but there was a difference in the use of non lethal force). So let's shut up about anyone claiming that black lives don't matter, and figure out what's causing the discrepancy in the use of non lethal force.

I am sure Obama will soon be quoting the statistics from his alma mater. Since he cares about unity, and all. Right Spence?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/up...ings.html?_r=0
And we have been hearing here all along how Blacks are not treated differently than whites.

As I've said all along, part of the issue is perception. I believe Rep. Scott of NC said he has been stopped 7 times in the last year. If you are constantly being stopped for small or made up things, your going to view things differntly.

The following contains follow up questions asked of Fryer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/up...rce-study.html
Old 07-19-2016, 07:07 AM   #41
wdmso

Quote:
Can you answer my question? If I call Obama divisive, and I list a multitude of quotes that are irrefutably attributed to Obama to support that...then how am I a racist? Just because I criticized him?

Have fun!
never called you a racist as for Divisive seems only some white people interpret his statements as such and the all seem to be conservatives which could just be chance .

is this one of your quotes We know that the overwhelming majority of police officers do an incredibly hard and dangerous job fairly and professionally. They are deserving of our respect and not our scorn. (Applause.) And when anyone, no matter how good their intentions may be, paints all police as biased or bigoted, we undermine those officers we depend on for our safety. And as for those who use rhetoric suggesting harm to police, even if they don’t act on it themselves -- well, they not only make the jobs of police officers even more dangerous, but they do a disservice to the very cause of justice that they claim to promote.

or this one

We tell them to keep those neighborhoods in check at all costs, and do so without causing any political blowback or inconvenience. Don’t make a mistake that might disturb our own peace of mind. And then we feign surprise when, periodically, the tensions boil over.

We know these things to be true. They’ve been true for a long time. We know it. Police, you know it. Protestors, you know it. You know how dangerous some of the communities where these police officers serve are, and you pretend as if there’s no context. These things we know to be true.

no you post only this from the same speech.. thats called being divisive.... We flood communities with so many guns that it is easier for a teenager to buy a Glock than get his hands on a computer or even a book - going off on gun control

Classic
Old 07-19-2016, 07:33 AM   #42
buckman

Quote:

Jus saw on the news Melania seems to be having issues of her own. Stole some of her speach. She should just admit she used part of other people's speach - no big deal. But it is the Trump way.
Any thoughts on Patricia Smith's speech ?
Old 07-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #43
PaulS

I did not watch any of the convention. Prob. will watch only a few min. Maybe Trump's speach. Prob. the same w/the Dem. convention -maybe only Hillary.

Watched the TDF.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #44
Jim in CT

Quote:
That is so funny I had to quote it 2x.

From a person who is a member of a group where like 50% believed he the Pres. was a Muslim and think he was born in Kenya. Also, where EVERY Presidential candidate was judged to have been more dishonest then EVERY Presidential candidate of the Dem. party.

"like 50% believed he the Pres. was a Muslim"

That was embarrassing. Speaking for myself, I wish he were a Muslim, because that's a lot easier for me to fathom, than whatever you call a lunatic who worships at the altar of Rev Wright.

"where EVERY Presidential candidate was judged to have been more dishonest then EVERY Presidential candidate of the Dem. party. "

And I'm sure that study was very scientific and un-biased. That's something that cannot be quantified. You are either a compulsive liar or you're not.

"Melania seems to be having issues of her own. Stole some of her speech"

Yep. If you're going to plagiarize someone, how about stealing form someone who has something worthwhile to say, like Churchill, rather than a horse's ass like Michelle Obama? But again, since Joe Biden is your vice president, I find it curious that you are offended by plagiarism. He got caught red-handed plagiarizing, and I don't recall you ever bashing him for it - maybe I missed that. What do you expect from a bubbleheaded, gold-digging beauty queen like Mrs Trump?

Good lord, how did it come to this?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #45
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

Watched the TDF.
I missed that

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
never called you a racist as for Divisive seems only some white people interpret his statements as such and the all seem to be conservatives which could just be chance .

is this one of your quotes We know that the overwhelming majority of police officers do an incredibly hard and dangerous job fairly and professionally. They are deserving of our respect and not our scorn. (Applause.) And when anyone, no matter how good their intentions may be, paints all police as biased or bigoted, we undermine those officers we depend on for our safety. And as for those who use rhetoric suggesting harm to police, even if they don’t act on it themselves -- well, they not only make the jobs of police officers even more dangerous, but they do a disservice to the very cause of justice that they claim to promote.

or this one

We tell them to keep those neighborhoods in check at all costs, and do so without causing any political blowback or inconvenience. Don’t make a mistake that might disturb our own peace of mind. And then we feign surprise when, periodically, the tensions boil over.

We know these things to be true. They’ve been true for a long time. We know it. Police, you know it. Protestors, you know it. You know how dangerous some of the communities where these police officers serve are, and you pretend as if there’s no context. These things we know to be true.

no you post only this from the same speech.. thats called being divisive.... We flood communities with so many guns that it is easier for a teenager to buy a Glock than get his hands on a computer or even a book - going off on gun control

Classic
WDMSO, the first part of Obama's eulogy was magnificent. And then, of course, he blew it. Did Obama say that cops killing black men are not isolated incidents? Did he say that, or did he not say it?

I never said that every single word that comes out of Obama's mouth is divisive. But a lot of what he says, sure is. I don't remember Bush, or Bill Clinton, leading that way, not at all.

If 95% of what Obama says is harmless, but 5% of what he says is racist and divisive bullsh*t, then that's a problem.

You cannot make that wrong. But your liberalism doesn't allow you to admit that I have a point. Because you can't be intellectually honest and be a liberal. Yes, you can point to many inspiring things that Obama has said. That doesn't come close to refuting my point. Again, you are acting like I said that everything Obama says is divisive. That's not what I said. Once again, you respond to something I never came close to saying.

It's not possible to be intellectually honest and be liberal. In my first post, I listed a half dozen things he said, which any rational person would say is divisive. You can't admit that I have a point, and the best you can do is say "well, he does say some things that aren't divisive". But that's not the point. The point is that he occasionally says terrible things, which are demonstrably false, for political gain.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Classic
Not remotely true. Watch Foxnews, and you'll se many, many blacks who call out Obama as I have. Your handicap is that you get yoru news from places that don't ever present both sides.

"they all seem to be conservatives "

Maybe that's because most liberals can't ever admit that Obama (or any prominent Democrat) is flawed. Spence won't concede that Hilary lied about coming under sniper fire. How do you explain that?

Let me ask you 2 very, very simple questions based on my first post.

(1) Did Obama say the things I claimed he said, or am I making it up?

(2) Are you unable to see how someone like me would justifiably be offended by those statements?

2 questions. Any chance you can answer them directly?
Old 07-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #48
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Any thoughts on Patricia Smith's speech ?
I think the way FOX and the GOP have exploited her grief is nothing short of astonishingly shameful.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think the way FOX and the GOP have exploited her grief is nothing short of astonishingly shameful.
I hear Hilary is using Michael Brown's mom as a political prop. Her son was a thug that forced a cop to use lethal force to defend himself. I see your outrage at exploitation is, as usual, quite selective.

Spence, what if she is telling the truth, and Hilary lied to her? Isn't that relevant?

Gotta protect that narrative...
Old 07-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
More on this...that woman's son died while working for Hilary, and a lot of people feel it was handled very, very poorly. That actually happened.

Hilary is exploiting people in the name of a problem (cops killing black kids) that Harvard University just showed is non-existent (common sense has always suggested it was not true, but Harvard has the data to show it). Which is more shameful? Talking about a tragedy that actually happened, or using a false narrative to make people afraid of cops for no reason?

If Hilary claimed to have Bigfoot's endorsement at her convention, it would be no less valid than claiming that we need her to keep black kids safe from white cops.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-19-2016 at 10:27 AM..
Old 07-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #51
buckman

Quote:
I think you have a very angry Mom , rightfully angry, who is on a personal vendetta to punish Hillary for allowing her son to be killed and then lying to her face about the motive .
I'm sure you have not watched the movie , and I'm sure you did not show the common decency to watch Mrs Smith's speach before commenting .
Old 07-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #52
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Just saw the Melania plagiarism story - sounds like she needs to apologize and probably fire one of the speech writers.

That said the rest of the convention's first night was outstanding.
I doubt she had any idea, it was a PR stunt to grab headlines.

It was pretty terrifying to be honest. My favorite was the interview with Antonio Sabato after his speech where he claimed Obama was a Muslim and sided with the Middle East.

Also good were the 13 hours guys who pushed the stand down order even though 8 investigations haven't found any evidence.

It's just a reality TV show convention for a reality TV show campaign.

As much as some people dislike Clinton I simply can't fathom how Trump can get a moment's consideration. Vote for Johnson or write someone in. Please.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:
I simply can't fathom how Trump can get a moment's consideration. Vote for Johnson or write someone in. Please.
Given that you are the only person I have ever heard say that she didn't lie about coming under sniper fire, you might consider the possibility that you are the one who is off kilter, not everyone else.

Here's why he gets my vote, and why a lot of people will plug their nose and vote for him (though probably not enough will do it for him to be competitive). If I was an unborn baby, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. If I owned my own business, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. If I was a jihadist, I'd vote for her in a heartbeat. If I was Al Sharpton, I'd vote for her in a heartbeat.

For the foreseeable future, those are my litmus tests. Looking at it through that lens, which a lot of people share, it's a no brainer.

By your own admission, you can't fathom why anyone cares deeply about protecting innocent life, who believes that business isn't necessarily evil, who realizes that we are at war, and who isn't interested in engaging in false race-baiting. If you can't fathom how anyone cares about such things, maybe that (like your unwillingness to say Hilary lied) says more about you, than it does about everyone else.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-19-2016 at 11:02 AM..
Old 07-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #54
buckman

[QUOTE=spence;1104574

Also good were the 13 hours guys who pushed the stand down order even though 8 investigations haven't found any evidence.

It's just a reality TV show convention for a reality TV show campaign.

As much as some people dislike Clinton I simply can't fathom how Trump can get a moment's consideration. Vote for Johnson or write someone in. Please.[/QUOTE]

Just because there was no evidence found doesn't mean it didn't happen. If there's one thing we have learned about the Obama administration and the Clinton administration is they are extremely adept at hiding evidence or deleting it. It's helpful when the media is also on your side .
You are all too dismissive of Mrs. Smith or of the two heroes in Benghazi and you have zero respect for anybody that won't follow your narrative .
You and I come from different places Spence . While you and your better half might of been rolling your eyes at the tears on the convention floor during Mrs. Smith speech , I also had tears.
See my better half has three wonderful boys, two Marines and one going in the Air Force in the fall, they are following the foot steps of their grandfather and I want them to have a leader that they know has there back . Hilary has proven she does not and to a man the people in the military do not want her as thier commander-in-chief .
Old 07-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #55
spence

Quote:
I think you have a very angry Mom , rightfully angry, who is on a personal vendetta to punish Hillary for allowing her son to be killed and then lying to her face about the motive .Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Contrast that with reality and you have your shameless exploitation.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #56
buckman

Quote:
Contrast that with reality and you have your shameless exploitation.
What's the reality, that Hillary was only completely incompetent ?
Great
Old 07-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #57
spence

I thought she was interviewing Jim for a moment.

https://www.facebook.com/TamronHall/...3578693326916/
Old 07-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #58
spence

Quote:
What's the reality, that Hillary was only completely incompetent ?
Great
She held a 65% approval rating for most of her tenure at State.

Funny how when Clinton is a Senator she gets praise (by Republicans) for being a great Senator. When She's leading the State Department she gets praise for being a great secretary. You have an entire industry trying to tear her down for 25 years and yet she's leading in the race for POTUS.

How can this be?
Old 07-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
I thought she was interviewing Jim for a moment.

https://www.facebook.com/TamronHall/...3578693326916/
Liberal playbook: when a thoughtful person has you backed into a corner from which there is no escape, do one of the following:

call them a racist
respond to something other than what was said
lob a baseless insult, then run away and hide under your desk

You're not big on responding to direct challenges, or ever admitting that anyone else has a point, are you? Have fun with that.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #60
buckman

Quote:
She held a 65% approval rating for most of her tenure at State.

Funny how when Clinton is a Senator she gets praise (by Republicans) for being a great Senator. When She's leading the State Department she gets praise for being a great secretary. You have an entire industry trying to tear her down for 25 years and yet she's leading in the race for POTUS.

How can this be?

She raised $200 million in her pay to play position . there wasn't anything that wasn't for sale. Look at the way her and her husband ran the rebuilding of Haiti . Shameful !
I don't recall to many people praising her , but then again you and most people have different recollections of the past.
She is a liar and a crook and I firmly believe that