Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
DZ

Newport Folk Festival Review

Spent two (Saturday and Sunday) out of three days at the Newport Folk Festival. Saturday was the highlight IMO. Caught performances by The Lone Bellow (Brooklyn band with a great sound – watch for them!), Frank Turner, Langhorne Slim, Jim James (not with My Morning Jacket for this performance), Trombone Shorty (not folk but as usual blew everyone away with his sound), and topped it off with the Avett Brothers who have to be the most sincere and personable band around these days – they have fans following them from all over the country and they do not dissapoint.

Sunday was somewhat disappointing on the main stage where most of the crowd seemed to be put asleep by the performances; Tift Merritt asked the crowd if they were hung over, no we're not, it was the music Tift! Every song was laid back. Finally The Lumineers came on and woke everyone up with a rousing set from their hit album…. only to be put back asleep by an acoustic set from Beck who seems to have given up his original sound - they should not have picked him to close out the festival. If the Lumineers closed it out everyone would have been dancing back to their cars. Things were so bad on the main stage at times that I (and MANY others) escaped to the Quad stage(inside the Fort) to catch some great acts including Andrew Bird, Spirit Family Reunion, and a band that I hadn’t yet heard of named Lord Huron who just blew me away with their set – watch for them in the future!
All in all a great time spending 14 hours listening to music and “people watching”. Used lots of sunscreen and noticed that skirts/dresses worn with cowboy boots are definitely in with this crowd - and I like the look.
This Festival sold out its Saturday and Sunday Performances BEFORE it even announced its full lineups. Tough ticket but highly recommended in the future.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote