Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 02-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Anybody shoot USPSA or IDPA?

Been seeing this on shooting shows and looks interesting, anybody do it and what do you think? thinking it would be fun to do casually and some clubs in the area run training courses to get people started, wondering if it's worth it.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
tysdad115

I havent yet..but redlite said he used to do it before. It does look fun.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
fishrick

Have done several of these disciplines in years past, some recently. It is fun, safe, need to get your gear together, watch a match, decide if your prepared or need to get a couple more items, then go at it. Have loaded my own stuff for many years, so that helps. Get your feet wet, the guys are usually very helpful and will give you good advice. We need more shooters in the northeast...fun games. You will see significant improvement in your skills at these, and its you against the watch, or yourself. Accuracy first, speed comes later.
fishrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
jlnel

it is fun. I haven't done it in a few years but looking to start back this year. if you don't belong to a club, find one that has a shoot some weekend and go check it out. don't really need and special equip just holster mag pouch and couple extra mags. show up, tell them you're new to it and someone will help you from there. pm me if your are on the cape some time and I can see if a club is doing one and we can check it out.
jlnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

thanks guys! think I'll check it out sometime. I got the M&P range kit that came with a holster, a mag pouch and two extra mags and my understanding is that is really all I need... I'll have to research more though..
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
redlite

I used to shoot idpa down at bass river rod and gun club down in yarmouth on the cape probably 12 years ago. Had shoot once a month Had a pretty cool course. There r different types and levels u qualify for like in bowling. Got into from a guy a shot with here in dartmouth. It was awesome. When i did it there was basic combat shootin ie u shot from behind a barrel and a bianchi barrier( a wall) at silouettes where it varied with shots to head and body my favorite was real world situations. Lot like runnin an obstacle course and u knocked down pie plates.
I enjoyed it because it was competin with off the shelf out of the box guns so everyone was on the same level. I shot a 9mm browning high power and a colt then smith 45. It was nice cause u werent competeing against guys shootin 38 super custom guns that had more work done to them and cost more than most people's cars. Shootin stock ammo instead of agaisnt guys that r custom loading to the most precise pellet of powder. With different levels it also made it fun competitively so u werent battlin pros or ex delta force guys( i competed against some of them and proudly held my own).
It is a blast. I highly recommend u give it a shot. I dont know if bass river still does it but im sure u could google it find places in mass that do it.
Durin the winter i used to shoot indoors at american firearms school in attleboro. Best indoor place i ever shot. State of the art ranges and u could shoot anything up to .50 cal inside. Once had a guy in the station next to me firin am m1 garand. My bullets were rattlin. They had 2 interactive simulators one u shot plastic bullets and it shot back at u. Half a police car and a mailbox in a room for simulatin traffic stops. Other was live fire where u shot your real gun at a self sealin foam wall. Was so awesome. Not sure if they r still in business but u could google them too
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote