Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #61
Pete F.
Canceled

Pretty comical argument
Take a ride down a road in Paradise on Google maps street view or another fire area.
Then come up with some brilliant way to fireproof suburban California
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7776...7i13312!8i6656

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #62
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Google is your friend here.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I thought that was the type of answer I would get.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #63
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I suspect there isn't a big demand for cord word where those fires are popping up. Around here I love to scoop up some free firewood after our Northeasters, but in some of those million dollar homes with the panoramic views; I'm pretty sure they aren't looking for wood for heat.
When your state government makes it damn near illegal or impossible to actually cut firewood or bring it in from another state, most people tend to use "socialized heating" where they are forever dependent on city gas, oil or electricity. When you cut your own firewood you feel more independent and less reliant on others to provide heat for your family, so it is only natural for Californians to find ways to limit or prohibit this.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #64
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Pretty comical argument
Take a ride down a road in Paradise on Google maps street view or another fire area.
Then come up with some brilliant way to fireproof suburban California
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7776...7i13312!8i6656
You would be surprised how well the dead dried old growth wood tends to create huge flying burning ash that just loves to float down and land on houses. The more dry dead growth there is, the more fuel these fires have, and the harder it is to fight. A forest fire of mostly live growth is much slower to spread and much easier to put out, but add 20% or more of dry dead fuel and things like this fire happen.

Load your fireplace all the way to the top with green wood and chances are you wont even be able to light the damn thing, but fill it to the brim with dry wood and you will likely burn down your damn house.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #65
Pete F.
Canceled

They would need a lot of people who want or use firewood
The trees are not some large New England tree, some of them can take two days for a crew to take down, but for the most part they can do 20 a day and I'm not sure that includes brush removal.
This is from 2016 and the number of dead trees had more than doubled in the previous year, do you think it went down in the following two years?
Estimates by the U.S. Forest Service put the number of dead trees in California forests at 102 million, broad swaths that officials call a wildfire and public safety risk. Declaring a state of emergency last fall when the count stood at 40 million, Gov. Jerry Brown ordered state agencies to clear the hazards.

https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...129-story.html

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #66
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
You would be surprised how well the dead dried old growth wood tends to create huge flying burning ash that just loves to float down and land on houses. The more dry dead growth there is, the more fuel these fires have, and the harder it is to fight. A forest fire of mostly live growth is much slower to spread and much easier to put out, but add 20% or more of dry dead fuel and things like this fire happen.

Load your fireplace all the way to the top with green wood and chances are you wont even be able to light the damn thing, but fill it to the brim with dry wood and you will likely burn down your damn house.
Two years ago they had a million dead trees in California and were trying to take care of them, more trees have died in the time since.
Just clearcutting the dead trees creates another problem, which will be the next issue in the fire areas, mudslides. Calfire is pretty proactive with the funding they have and the new Cali building codes make new houses more fireproof. However that does little for the old stock of homes.
Luckily we don't have that issue in New England, though a long drought in the northern forest would create the chance for a large forest fire.
There are lots of trees dying in Vermont and other parts because people imported firewood and brought foreign pests.
https://vtinvasives.org/gallery-of-forest-pests

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #67
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think TDF said it once so now he thinks he’s all read up on the topic. Only prohibitions I’ve ever heard of are for areas under quarantine because of disease or insect infestation.
Huh???

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #68
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I thought that was the type of answer I would get.
I learned it from Spence

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 11-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #69
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
When your state government makes it damn near illegal or impossible to actually cut firewood or bring it in from another state, most people tend to use "socialized heating" where they are forever dependent on city gas, oil or electricity. When you cut your own firewood you feel more independent and less reliant on others to provide heat for your family, so it is only natural for Californians to find ways to limit or prohibit this.
So it's all a liberal conspiracy to enslave the people by lashing them to public utilities
Old 11-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #70
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Do you have any facts to back that up? I have never seen that mentioned as any of the unique reasons Calif. has forest fires.
He doesn't have any facts because it's not true...use the Google Chris!
Old 11-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #71
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
He doesn't have any facts because it's not true...use the Google Chris!
I did.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN