Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 07-10-2022, 12:49 AM   #1
Linesider82

Recommendations Spin Tuna setup

Hi all, I am looking for any recommendations on a spin tuna setup, rod/ blank, reel, main line #, and leader. I am not actively pursuing tuna in general but I have realized that there is a good chance that in some areas I fish the potential encounter is there for schoolie to 100lb class tuna.

My ideal setup would be based on reacting to surfacing fish, and therefore more of a popping style rod (mod fast).

I do have my HMS permit, but would like to hear from your experience what setup works for you so that my research/decision is based on a reasonable starting point of what works. Thank you.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #2
wdmso

Last years tuna was on a Shimano 18000H Spheros SW A Spinning Reel,
that I bought here . and some 1st gen tuna rod I got at bass pro years ago and I have a 1800 saragossa paired with Shimano Terez .

I decided to go cheaper seeing I might use the gear 4 times a season no need to go crazy .. and you can go crazy if you want .. good luck
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:53 PM   #3
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Last years tuna was on a Shimano 18000H Spheros SW A Spinning Reel,
that I bought here . and some 1st gen tuna rod I got at bass pro years ago and I have a 1800 saragossa paired with Shimano Terez .

I decided to go cheaper seeing I might use the gear 4 times a season no need to go crazy .. and you can go crazy if you want .. good luck
I went crazy and I’m lookin to sell real soon….
I wonder if my Gosa 6K and shop built FG 7-6 will handle the ones we’re gonna catch when the wind stops…. ;-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:57 PM   #4
Linesider82

Thanks Wayne, no I'm looking to keep in reasonable. I should probably just put a gosa on an ugly stik and call it a day.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-11-2022, 04:37 PM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82 View Post
Thanks Wayne, no I'm looking to keep in reasonable. I should probably just put a gosa on an ugly stik and call it a day.
Saw this the other day seems they like the penn Carnage rods

still 200 dollar rods
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:20 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I sold my tuna rods and Tiagra 50W LRSA reels two years ago when I was out on injured reserve. No regrets, and I am not going to dive back in. But I might have to pull out an old Penn 8500 and find a rod to put it on. Some rec fish taken very locally this weekend. So my question to the group is: should I invest in a rod for this reel, or am I guaranteed to be undergunned?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:31 AM   #7
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Hmmm. I was wrong. I have a new, never mounted Penn 950SSm Spinfisher Metal spooled with 80# Powerpro and leader...

Any rod recommendations?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:01 PM   #8
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Hmmm. I was wrong. I have a new, never mounted Penn 950SSm Spinfisher Metal spooled with 80# Powerpro and leader...

Any rod recommendations?
I'm all ears on this too.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:20 AM   #9
rphud
GrandBob

funny how you find stuff like that around the house, usually after you buy one though
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote