Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
"Lou"

Charlestown / Green Hill

I've been fishing from my kayak in freshwater for quite a while but figured it's well past time to give it a try in salt. I'm fairly familiar with Green Hill Pond from Green Hill Beach Rd to the Breachway and have kayaked that a lot, but never tried to fish it. Planning on heading out this Saturday, any tips or suggestions as far as timing or tactics? Do I need to head further West into Ninigret for better odds?

Thanks in advance!

-"Lou"
"Lou" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
FishermanTim

When fishing the salt, plan around the tides to maximize your time on the water.
As for everything else, you can fish the same lures as you would from shore, just on a slightly smaller scale.
(if you use a 10" surf rod, you won't be able to cast it properly due to its size. I use a 6' 6"-7' 6" rod from the yak. Just make sure you take all safety precautions and prepare to have fun!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Cappucci

Lou if I were you I would put in at Charlestown Breachway or the free launch site just before the Charlestown town beach parking and fish the breachway or the coves in Charlestown pond. If there is any worm hatch still going on head into the coves. I think the hatch is pretty much over though.
Cappucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

in ctown pond, fish the channel as the breachway goes into the pond,early in the am before the boat traffic starts. use bucktail jigs, storm shads. the fish hang in the deep water and sprint onto the flats to feed and then head back to the channels. Tide does not matter much as long as you realize where the fish will set up on the moving water, fish the points down current.
Years back I fished this area a lot and caught a lot of fish. Most were small but there are monsters in there. I've seen them and I;ve caught decent fish there at night on eels from shore. Bring good sunglasses, sight fishing can be a blast when it gets lights. Have fun. I miss fishing there

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
"Lou"

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

FishermanTim, do you find falling tide is better than rising or vice versa?

Cappucci, the hatch, even if it's probably over, is that more of a late afternoon / evening type thing or does it happen mornings too?

RIJimmy - Thanks for all of the tips, I'm guessing you're referring to the main channel straight back from the b-way and not the smaller channel that heads east toward the bridge? When you say smaller fish, should I throwing stuff under an ounce?

Thanks again for all of the advice. I checked Raven's calendar and it looks like the weekend is prime time. I'll post my results, thanks again!

-"Lou"
Old 06-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lou" View Post
T
RIJimmy - Thanks for all of the tips, I'm guessing you're referring to the main channel straight back from the b-way and not the smaller channel that heads east toward the bridge? When you say smaller fish, should I throwing stuff under an ounce?

-"Lou"
yes, main channel from the bway back into the mouth of the pond. Weight depends on current, but 1/2 oz to 2 oz works - you want to get down to the bottom. look for rips and drop offs. The main channel where the boats go, along the banks is best. Also explore the flats, you can see the fish - sluggos or small top waters will work. Dont underestimate the size of the fish. There are big fish in there

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Cappucci

The worm hatch could be any time of day.
Cappucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
"Lou"

Results

Well it was a fantastic day on Saturday, crisp air, slight breeze & beautiful scenery. I launched around 8:15am and fished until around 3:30pm. That ended up being a LONG time to stay in the seat for, but it was all fun. I managed 2 fish, a small fluke and an almost keeper (I think, I didn't measure) striper, which is my first striper from the kayak.

I threw a plethora of things, pink, blue, & schoolbus jointed bombers, assorted topwater popers, swim shad, yo-zuri crystal minnows, deadly #^&#^&#^&#^& and more. The only ones that seemed to draw interest was the pink bomber which had a few follows but no takes, and the sebile magic swimmer that I caught the bass on.

It was a learning experience to say the least, the current really rips around there and you really have to pay attention to keep your drift right. The most frustrating thing was all of the LARGE bass I saw but couldn't hook. Some must have been WELL over 36" as they looked like they could have eaten mine for lunch. It's a really neat place to fish, the water was so clear I could see to the bottom even in 10 feet or more of water. The water was a long cleaner on the incoming tide, and much more weedy on the outgoing tide I noticed.

One other item to note was the huge number of mating horseshoe crabs I saw everywhere. I've never seen that many horseshoe crabs in one place in my life, there were literally hundreds.

Thanks to all who gave advice, and if anyone else was in c-town on Saturday I was the guy in the red pungo. I probably saw 5-6 other kayak fisherman there during the course of the day.

Tight lines

-"Lou"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6040175.jpg (192.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg P6040179.jpg (195.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P6040185.jpg (225.7 KB, 15 views)