Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-31-2008, 01:39 PM   #31
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I can understand political differences but I can neverjustfy Obama and Wright.
Dad, could you pull your cub scouts together and say lets see some footage inside of the church our president attended for 20 years? How would you feel doing that? Proud of our president? Can you be proud of Obama based on what saw with Wright?What message does that send to the future of America?
Arguing the Political Differences would be refreshing. Economy, Taxes, The War in Iraq. Stuff people could learn from...I try and look up everything that gets posted here regarding issues...helps me get more informed.

But if people haven't let the Wright thing affect their decision yet it isn't going to going forward...its just beating on a dead horse day in and day out.

And as far as the scouts go I would show them the footage and then have them tell me what they think is wrong or, God Forbid, right about it. Thats how i do it...I want them to think for themselves.

last week I had my son sit down with me and watch a NatGeo special on the KKK...I wanted him to see the ugly side of what goes on in America, The stuff he doesn't see in the cozy little Hamlet of Georgetown...then we talked about. I was happy to here it bothered him and thought it was terrible thing that is going on.

and for the record I think Wright is a POS and have no real use for him.

and its Boy Scouts...not Cub Scouts

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-31-2008, 05:25 PM   #32
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Dad, seriosuly, come on. TWENTY YEARS! Wright Baptised Obamas children!
A church is a CHOICE ! Obama chose that church. People CHOOSE churches based on their beliefs.
I can't reply anymore, I can understand political differences but I can neverjustfy Obama and Wright.
Dad, could you pull your cub scouts together and say lets see some footage inside of the church our president attended for 20 years? How would you feel doing that? Proud of our president? Can you be proud of Obama based on what saw with Wright?What message does that send to the future of America?
Isn't it pretty common for children to be baptised by the minister of their church?

And as for choice, it seems clear that Obama choose that church because it was the focal point of the community he was trying to help. It was about the people, not the man. I haven't heard a single thing, ever, that leads me to believe Obama was attracted to the church because of Wright's more out there views, or that he's been influenced in any way by Wright's more out there views.

From what I've heard from Wright as a Christian spiritual leader, he sounds no more radical than the Pope. He just uses a more acidic style to make his point.

Yes, Wright holds some very wierd opinions but that is his right. To attend a sermon where he might express them, doesn't mean you're influenced by or endorsing them. Cut through the sound bites and I'd bet that the vast majority of Wright's preaching isn't that odd at all.

-spence
Old 10-31-2008, 08:00 PM   #33
Backbeach Jake

I have sat through many sermons that I disagreed with. Some made me stop going.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 10-31-2008, 08:50 PM   #34
Joe

You need to look at it from the perspective of an ambitious, opportunistic politician. Politics is a very dirty business. Politicians use people at certain stages of their careers and then they turn their backs on them.

If you were a young black college graduate looking to the lay the groundwork to launch a fast-track political career, it makes sense to start in a neighborhood where you can rise the fastest and to associate yourself with the most popular black church. In the black community, the church is where the constituency that is going to elect you comes from. You pick the biggest, most powerful church and you align yourself with it, and if you don't you're making a mistake.

You think somebody as smart as Obama did not weigh the positives of jump starting his early political career v.s. the eventuality of Wright proving to be a liability? He did. Obama knew the Wright train would crash, but he figured he could ditch him and talk his way out of it and he was right. Noboby cares about Rev. Wright. The political reality was that Rev. Wright filled a need, but he was always expendable.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #35
bssb
river rat

Why do the Republicans give Wyoming by far the most federal anti-terrorism money per capita?
They're trying to protect it from those gay cowboys.
Why do Republican tax cuts always expire in ten years or less?
They want to make them thirty but keep running out of fingers.
Why did the Republicans kill Jesus?
He tried to cross the border.
Why do Republicans avoid living on the West Coast?
They're scared to live that close to the edge of the Earth.
Why did the Republican throw a clock out the window?
He saw a homosexual and was out of grenades.
Why did Republican senator Larry Craig throw a clock out the window?
He'd run out of more covert signals in trying to score some gay sex.
Why do Republican politicians shoot Republican lawyers in the face?
The lawyers are always talking about tough sentences for minority kids and the politicians think they're teaching them to read.
Why didn't Republicans save any of the black New Orleans residents from the flooding of Hurricane Katrina?
They were busy trying to get two of each animal for their ark first and couldn't catch that damned roadrunner.
Why is Republican state representative Bob Allen's wallet suspiciously empty these days?
He has to spend money searching for the "real" gay prostitution solicitors.
Why do Republicans love doing laundry?
They're naturals at separating the whites from the colors.
Why do Republicans call their insurance company when a movie starts?
Because all the trailers are gone.
Why do Republicans get defined as the right?
Because nobody else has a single right with them in charge.
Why does Ted Stevens take so many bribes from housing developers?
He needed maintenance to unclog his Internet tubes.
Why do Republicans always try to get rid of Hollywood sex scenes?
They just don't find them very realistic. It's missing all the yawning and the part where the woman goes to cry in the bathroom.
Why do Republicans never turn their most prestigious literature into a movie?
They wanted Waldo to play himself, but they just can't find him.
Why does Republican state representative Richard Curtis like paying for gay sex in adult bookstores?
Because the other choice of what to do there involved reading.
Why did Ronald Reagan typify the ideal candidate in the 2008 Republican presidential primary?
Because he's dead.
Why do Republicans never worry about using up all the world's fossil fuels?
They're only a few years from becoming more of it themselves.
Why is it taking the Republicans so long to build their Great Wall of America?
Every time there's a new opening, Larry Craig rushes over to try to spot guys with their pants down.
Why do safety regulations forbid lips on the exterior of a jet airliner?
They create incessant flapping from the right wing.
Why does Republican senator Larry Craig think that BIll Clinton was a "naughty boy" and a "nasty boy" and wanted to punish him with more than a slap on the wrist?
Craig was hoping he'd get to give some spankings.
Why do Republicans always love when a baseball pitcher throws a perfect game?
Better chance they get an excuse to write KKK all over their programs.
Why are the Republicans so afraid of having immigration laws that let Hispanics enter the country?
They're afraid that Speedy Gonzales fellow will beat their bedroom record.
Why do Republicans claim that they're tough on terrorism when all the successful attacks happen on their watch?
Because they can still do punishment right. All those suicide bombers... now dead...
Why do Republicans always win limbo contests?
They know how to get as low as possible, from their experience teaching the dollar.
Why does Republican senator Larry Craig like to identify himself with social conservatism?
We all know how fond he is of stall tactics.
Why did the Republican spank the five year old boy?
He asked to be paid minimum wage.
Why don't Republicans think that Gitmo tactics like light and sound deprivation, forced nudity, and turning dogs against suspects are torture?
Because the Republicans are the ones who have to watch FOX News.
Why does Republican state representative Richard Curtis confuse paying for gay sex with charity?
It's the closest thing to "missionary" work that he'll ever do.
Why does Ted Stevens add so much spending in bills for contractors that are bribing him?
He thought his pork was helping the American agricultural sector.
Why do Republicans claim they're tougher on terrorism even though attacks are only successful on their watch?
Because they're so hard at work recruiting Christians for al Qaeda that they have more to stop.
Why do Republicans never play chess?
But they do. There are eight of them in every game lined up in front of the white bishops and knights.
Why do Republicans at community service events show up much higher by their numbers?
Their counts include the people there to picket the event, too.

“I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security.”

Jim Garrison