Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
bssb
river rat

republican hypocrisy

A lot has been said about Obama's "ties" to terrorist.

So what about this?:

In regards to Khalidi, however, the guilt-by-association game burns John McCain as well.

During the 1990s, while he served as chairman of the International Republican Institute (IRI), McCain distributed several grants to the Palestinian research center co-founded by Khalidi, including one worth half a million dollars.

A 1998 tax filing for the McCain-led group shows a $448,873 grant to Khalidi's Center for Palestine Research and Studies for work in the West Bank. (See grant number 5180, "West Bank: CPRS" on page 14 of this PDF.)

The relationship extends back as far as 1993, when John McCain joined IRI as chairman in January. Foreign Affairs noted in September of that year that IRI had helped fund several extensive studies in Palestine run by Khalidi's group, including over 30 public opinion polls and a study of "sociopolitical attitudes."

What makes McCain's disgusting "guilt by association" attacks on Obama even more awful is that McCain has an association with a radical of his own: G. Gordon Liddy.

How close is McCain to Liddy? In 1998 McCain held a fundraiser in Liddy's home. Liddy has made contributions of at least $5,000 to McCain over the years. And when McCain went on Liddy's radio show last November, Liddy called him an "old friend." McCain said "It's always a pleasure for me to come on your program, Gordon, and congratulations on your continued success and adherence to the principles and philosophies that keep our nation great."

G. Gordon Liddy spent four years in jail in the 1970s for his role in planning the Watergate break-in. But really the part he played in Watergate is nothing compared to some of the disturbing things he has said over the years.

Murder plans:

Probably most disturbing is that in his 1980 autiobiography Liddy said he made plans (which he didn't follow through with) to kill journalist Jack Anderson.

Liddy's advice to the Branch Dividians:

"They've got a big target on there, ATF. Don't shoot at that, because they've got a vest on underneath that. Head shots, head shots.... Kill the sons of bitches."

"If the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms insists upon a firefight, give them a firefight. Just remember, they're wearing flak jackets and you're better off shooting for the head."

John McCain was accused of improperly aiding his political patron, Charles Keating, chairman of the Lincoln Savings and Loan Association. The bipartisan Senate Ethics Committee launched investigations and formally reprimanded Senator McCain for his role in the scandal -- the first such Senator to receive a major party nomination for president.
At the heart of the scandal was Keating's Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, which took advantage of deregulation in the 1980s to make risky investments with its depositors' money. McCain intervened on behalf of Charles Keating with federal regulators tasked with preventing banking fraud, and championed legislation to delay regulation of the savings and loan industry -- actions that allowed Keating to continue his fraud at an incredible cost to taxpayers.
When the savings and loan industry collapsed, Keating's failed company put taxpayers on the hook for $3.4 billion and more than 20,000 Americans lost their savings. John McCain was reprimanded by the bipartisan Senate Ethics Committee, but the ultimate cost of the crisis to American taxpayers reached more than $120 billion.
The Keating scandal is eerily similar to today's credit crisis, where a lack of regulation and cozy relationships between the financial industry and Congress has allowed banks to make risky loans and profit by bending the rules. And in both cases, John McCain's judgment and values have placed him on the wrong side of history.

"John McCain sat on the board of...the U.S. Council for World Freedom," said Begala, "The Anti-Defamation League, in 1981 when McCain was on the board, said this about this organization. It was affiliated with the World Anti-Communist League - the parent organization - which ADL said 'has increasingly become a gathering place, a forum, a point of contact for extremists, racists and anti-Semites.'"

But McCain's involvement in the U.S. Council for World Freedom, which extended from 1981 through, possibly, 1986 is significant -- not merely because it ties him to unsavory characters but because it firmly associates him with a foreign policy that was, at the time and still, controversial.

“I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security.”

Jim Garrison
Old 11-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

whats to say? He always said he was a Maverick and crossed party lines. So he worked with Commies, is there really any difference than working with Democrats?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Gosh darn it, and I already voted - had I seen this I would have voted for the other guy

(just kidding )

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
spence

To be honest, I'm sure both sides are aligned with terrorism if you make the standards loose enough. It's just that the Left doesn't even think of investigating it, instead looking towards corporate corruption etc... other issues.

-spence
Old 11-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
bssb
river rat

hell, I support terrorism everytime I ... cough cough

“I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security.”

Jim Garrison
Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Thats a good way to not further a liberal stereotype...
talk about how stoned you are.....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 11-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
bssb
river rat

I believe weed is a bipartisan issue.

Jim Garrison
Old 11-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Raven

Thumbs down the McCaine Campaign

was gonna cut the fat in Washington.....

yet they just spent $150,000 dollars on Sarah Palin's
wardrobe ....and man was she pissed off when she heard
what they had just spent....on her

one of the reasons she went rouge

that's hypocrisy
Old 11-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
was gonna cut the fat in Washington.....

yet they just spent $150,000 dollars on Sarah Palin's
wardrobe ....and man was she pissed off when she heard
what they had just spent....on her

one of the reasons she went rouge

that's hypocrisy
I hear it was the other way around---McCain and his contributors went ballistic when they saw the bill she ran up.

How'd they know the stuff would fit her unless she tried the clothes on?

She went rogue because she saw the same poll numbers everyone else did, and suffers from the same delusion that Dan Quayle had--she thinks she's a viable candidate in 4 years

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.