Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #61
Jim in CT

Hilary's comments on the shocking reality that the GOP senators aren't going to confirm Rachael Maddow or Gloria Allred to the Supreme Court...

"You know, that’s in keeping with what we’ve heard all along, isn’t it? Many Republicans talk in coded racial language about takers and losers. They demonize President Obama and encourage the ugliest impulses of the paranoid fringe. This kind of hatred and bigotry has no place in our politics or our country.”

WHY WASN'T IT RACIST WHEN OBAMA FILLIBUSTERED BUSH'S NOMINEE???

I cannot flippin' stand these people.

Bryan, I give you a LOT of credit, you said you didn't think it was about race, and obviously it isn't (several GOP Senators voted for Sotomayor for Christ's sake, so if they are racists, they aren't very good racists).

With these people, it's always always always about dealing the race card from the bottom of the deck. Always. And no one calls them on it.

And what was with that witch barking like a dog? I heard about it, and didn't believe it until I actually saw it. How is that any less presidential, than the things Trump says?

If the GOP doesn't run video of that jerk barking like a dog 24 hours a day, then they are too stupid to win and don't deserve to win.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #62
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I heard that as well, and find it disappointing.
I think breitbart had it wrong. Just saw a quote from Pres. Obama on CNBC "Next month, I'll visit Cuba......"
Old 02-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #63
buckman

He won't be attending the funeral citing " security issues " . I wonder what golf course or fundraiser will be more secure ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #64
PaulS

I think he should attend. But others disagree.

But Ed Whelan, the president of the Ethics and Public Policy Center, who once clerked for Justice Scalia and shares the same faith, said that Mr. Obama made the right decision. Mr. Whelan emphasized that traditional Catholic funerals are deeply religious affairs during which even eulogies are discouraged.

“For Catholics, a funeral Mass is first and foremost a funeral, not an event of state,” Mr. Whelan said.

Michael Moreland, a law professor at Villanova University who is Catholic and was on the White House staff of Mr. Bush, said both sides had valid points.

The event on Friday at the Supreme Court is the more appropriate place for a presidential visit, he said, but Mr. Obama’s attendance at the funeral “could have been a nice occasion for reducing polarization of D.C.’s political culture.”
Old 02-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #65
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

But Ed Whelan, the president of the Ethics and Public Policy Center, who once clerked for Justice Scalia and shares the same faith, said that Mr. Obama made the right decision. Mr. Whelan emphasized that traditional Catholic funerals are deeply religious affairs during which even eulogies are discouraged.

“For Catholics, a funeral Mass is first and foremost a funeral, not an event of state,” Mr. Whelan said.

Michael Moreland, a law professor at Villanova University who is Catholic and was on the White House staff of Mr. Bush, said both sides had valid points.

The event on Friday at the Supreme Court is the more appropriate place for a presidential visit, he said, but Mr. Obama’s attendance at the funeral “could have been a nice occasion for reducing polarization of D.C.’s political culture.”
It doesn't really matter. Obama could pull Jimmy from the well and Buck would claim he just did it for the photo op.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #66
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It doesn't really matter. Obama could pull Jimmy from the well and Buck would claim he just did it for the photo op.
So what's it going to be, golf ?
Old 02-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #67
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Wasn't JFK Catholic? How did they manage to get politicians to his funeral oh the hell with it.

Obama has nothing but disdain for everything Scalia stood for, Scalia was the poster boy for the bitter racist clingers that Obama the uniter liked to talk about, no one in Scalia's family will suffer for Obama's absence...
Old 02-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #68
buckman

Quote:

I bet he would have found his way to the church if Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg passed away .
Stop the nonsense .
Old 02-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #69
PaulS

Quote:
I bet he would have found his way to the church if Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg passed away .
Stop the nonsense .
He is prob. doing it bc he hates the right. Hard to understand since he is treated so well.

Were is Doozer when we need him?
Old 02-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #70
Jim in CT

Quote:
He is prob. doing it bc he hates the right. Hard to understand since he is treated so well.

Were is Doozer when we need him?
some points for authenticity here, he doesn't like white conservative people (those racist bitter clingers), he doesn't like Catholics (made Georgetown cover up religious items when he gave a speech there), neither side will shed any tears if he's not there. He can instead attend some racist Black Lives Matter event at Rev Wright's "church", and let the Catholics do their own thing. Maybe Obama can send a true Catholic emisary, like Joe Biden or Nancy Pelosi.

Obama said he respects Scalia's service, I believe that's true, that's where the admiration ends, we all know that.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-19-2016 at 01:47 PM..
Old 02-19-2016, 04:49 PM   #71
spence

Quote:
So a reporter plants a loaded question and for you it's gospel :sheep:
Old 02-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #72
buckman

Quote:
So a reporter plants a loaded question and for you it's gospel :sheep:
You don't get sarcasm well
Old 02-19-2016, 04:58 PM   #73
spence

Quote:
You don't get sarcasm well
You're leading Jim along.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #74
buckman

Quote:
You're leading Jim along.
Just answer the damn question ! 😁
Old 02-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #75
spence

Quote:
Just answer the damn question ! 😁
Funny thing is I have several times.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #76
Jim in CT

Quote:
Funny thing is I have several times.
If that's true, then what's the big deal about doing it again? Doesn't make a lot of sense why you are dodging this way...
Old 02-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #77
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

My father always told me that wakes and funerals aren't for the people who died......they're for the people who are still here.

Politics be damned....you show the #^&#^&#^&#^& up. It's the right thing to do. Anybody arguing the politics of this are #^&#^&#^&#^&-ing morons....

Disgusted with this decision.....anybody that wants to argue it can kiss my a$$
Old 02-20-2016, 05:31 AM   #78
wdmso

So if you go to the wake and not the funeral your a scum bag

I guess no one here has ever done that??

Another example of... it's just that it's Obama

Conservatives block any nomination dont even Try !!! The Republicans Cheer

Conservatives Your not attending the Funeral ? The Republicans are outraged
Old 02-20-2016, 06:31 AM   #79
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Conservatives block any nomination dont even Try !!! The Republicans Cheer

Conservatives Your not attending the Funeral ? The Republicans are outraged
Just a question but what do you think the chances are thy he nominates a white male ?
Old 02-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #80
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
My father always told me that wakes and funerals aren't for the people who died......they're for the people who are still here.

Politics be damned....you show the #^&#^&#^&#^& up. It's the right thing to do. Anybody arguing the politics of this are #^&#^&#^&#^&-ing morons....

I'll bet you get this pissy when there's nothing but crushed wheat thins at the bottom of the box as well.

What's the difference between paying your respects to his family in the Great Hall versus a funeral in a church? Hell, if Obama went to the funeral people would be beotching the only reason he went was as a publicity stunt because he hates conservative white men.

I can just hear Hannity ranting about the security cost and why is the President wasting taxpayers money.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #81
Jim in CT

Quote:

Your logic is flawed. There is a long history in this country of politics getting in the way of presidential appointees. If you think only the GOP does this, then please show me a picture of Robert Bork sitting on the Supreme Court. Both sides do this. It's common. Is that going too fast for you?

Now, the question of the funeral. CNN has been reporting that never in the history or our nation, not once, has a President failed to attend the funeral of a sitting justice of the Supreme Court. So as usual, TDF (who isn't a crazy conservative) is right.

So try to follow the bouncing ball...it's nothing new for the Senate to block a nominee. What Obama is doing, has never been done, not once in 240 years.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #82
spence

Just saw the funeral is at The National Shrine which has a capacity of 10,000 people. The Secret Service can barely keep wackos out of the White House and you think it's practical for them to secure this site on a few days notice?

Insanity.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #83
detbuch

Quote:
I'll bet you get this pissy when there's nothing but crushed wheat thins at the bottom of the box as well.

Apples and oranges. Different context. It's all relative. Depends on his perspective regarding the relative importance of wheat thins compared to Obama. No doubt, for most sane people, the wheat thins would take priority.

Hell, if Obama went to the funeral people would be beotching the only reason he went was as a publicity stunt because he hates conservative white men.

I can just hear Hannity ranting about the security cost and why is the President wasting taxpayers money.
I realize that's just sarc. Which is OK. As wdmso would say, we all should have the discretion to interpret--even in order to promote an agenda.

Even though your pissy sarc is not true, and you know it (my discretionary interpretation), I don't personally care if he goes to the funeral or not. I don't think his respect is more important than anybody else's. In fact, in my discretionary opinion, it would be hypocritical for him to attend the funeral. He has publically disrespected the Court, why should he pretend to care or honor the passing of one of its members, especially one he probably dislikes more than most others. If I were Scalia, I would not have wanted him at my funeral.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #84
Jim in CT

Quote:
Just saw the funeral is at The National Shrine which has a capacity of 10,000 people. The Secret Service can barely keep wackos out of the White House and you think it's practical for them to secure this site on a few days notice?

Insanity.
It's the first time in the history of the nation, that a president hasn't attended the funeral of a sitting SCOTUS justice. What that means is, Obama's predecessors managed to pull this off.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #85
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

I guess Obama can't afford to give up a day's pay and miss work.

Quote:

I could give a rats ass if its Obama, Bush, Clinton, or even Reagan.

You are the President of United States, a Justice of the Supreme Court has died......you go to his funeral PERIOD......Unless you have a VERY good reason not to.......haven't heard one from him yet.

Heard plenty from everyone making excuses for him though.

Funny, When I spoke out against Bush I was labeled a Crazy Liberal, Now I speak out against Obama and I get labeled hypocritical Conservative.......

I know one thing......I know an A-Hole move when I see it.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #86
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

Insanity.
So the Vice President and his family are expendable?? No need to worry about security for him, huh.

I guess Obama never took in a ball game since he's been president.....those stadiums are sooooo much easier to keep secure than the National Shrine.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #87
spence

Quote:
So the Vice President and his family are expendable?? No need to worry about security for him, huh.

I guess Obama never took in a ball game since he's been president.....those stadiums are sooooo much easier to keep secure than the National Shrine.
Certainly less of a target than the POTUS.

How much security planning do you think goes into a ballgame?
Old 02-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #88
Jim in CT

Quote:

First time ever, Spence.

Remember the mass after 09/11? Leaders from all over the world in one building. Somehow, they pulled that off.

You can't admit that he's not going, because he doesn't want to go?
Old 02-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #89
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Now, the question of the funeral. CNN has been reporting that never in the history or our nation, not once, has a President failed to attend the funeral of a sitting justice of the Supreme Court. So as usual, TDF (who isn't a crazy conservative) is right.
There's not enough information out there to make that statement. The Chicago Tribune reported in 1954 that Truman sent flowers.

Regardless, this is only the third time it's happened in 60 years. They also didn't have the dead justices in repose until the last Justice Rehnquist in 2005. Since 1980 POTUS has only attended 4 of 10 justices funerals.

I'd also like to remind you you're likely voting for this guy...

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...eral-if-it-was
Old 02-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #90
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
So you think they will have reduced security for this just because the VP doesn't give them as many "Points".....that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard

Quote:
So you said that National Shrine holds 10,000 people and the secret service can barely keep a few whackos out of the White House.

Yet they can put the president in the middle of a big grass field in front of 40,000 people to throw out the first pitch of a ballgame without a problem.

A place full of sports whackos that is serving alcohol......

But they can't risk it at a funeral service....

I take it back.....this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.