Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
Diggin Jiggin

whats your best on one of your own ?

I seem to be spending all of my time downstairs, spinning wood I hope will tempt a few big fish. Got me to wondering, what's the best you or one of your friends has gotten on your own wood? Have any of you gotten a 40 or 50 on your own stuff?

My personal best last year was only 38" on a fat black danny, my dad got a 42-43" on one of my danny's, and we both lost fish one night that I'm betting would have pushed 40#'s. Both fish hit dannies on the same cast, mine managed to leverage the trebles open while it was still running and my dad's broke him off after a 20 min stalemate.

We were all excited to go back the next night looking for a rematch, and 1/2 way up the beach there's a rope across the trail, closed for the stinkin birds and it's like a 2+ mile walk from there...
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
Backbeach Jake

Talking

ixnayon the ackblay annyday. I caught one 30# on one. let that go, kept a lower end keeper, and a let bunch of near but not quite keepers go.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
RI Popper
Fish "one of God's gifts to us"

Send a message via AIM to RI Popper Send a message via Yahoo to RI Popper
Very good question, My biggest on one of my own was 37 pounds from the surf on a yellow pencil popper. However the biggest tournament fish caught on one of mine was 47 pounder out of the canal by Joe B. black/silver pencil.

Armand

"Fish, just one of God's gifts to us."
RI Popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
Moses

So far, mid teens bass out of Plymouth/Duxbury Bay and 11lb bluefish out of Buzzards Bay. Same plug too!

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

I've taken several in the 20's on my poppers and one around 26# on the 1st needle I ever made... Biggest fish I know of that were taken on lures I made were caught by tlapinski at cutty... he had 3 or 4 fish in the mid 30 pound range on my pencil popper in one weekend. That's almost better than catching them yourself.

-Dave

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
Nebe

several fish in the low 20's on my dannies, & darters. biggiest was 36.5 on one of my needles..

Nothing compares to the feeling you get landing a cow on your own wood.. nothing.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
A night full of 25-30 pounders first time out with my own plugs the season before last...needlefish. Last season 26 pounds on one of my jointed eels. I got bigger fish in mind for this season!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:42 AM   #8
NIB

I did pretty well on a few of my pencils.Maybe 4 or 5 over 30#'s to 36#'s.With quite a few in the high 20's.Lost My best one on a good fish on a crowded jetty when i tried to put the breaks on her.It was a BMW yellow/gold 10 inch 4oz.sealed up fish killer.Took a real beating an held up real well.They could not resist the water throwin action.Then again I live in NJ an this is common place the last few yrs.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:05 AM   #9
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

half a dozen in the low 30's,,a bunch mid twentys.. and one I just couldn't get in .. all on needles ,, blue and white or pink and white or olive and white . Alot of smaller fish on spooks except one maybe low 30's I broke off and watched swim away with the spook .. only three years building and not enough time to dedidcate to each plug .. This year handcarve swimmers will be the flavor .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:21 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

A 21-22 lb'er (roughly, no scale) on one of my Poppers last year and a 10 1/2 lb Blue fish on the same style popper.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I don't keep all that many fish each year so I will guess that my best on one of my own plugs was around 20 pounds on needles. I did have one bass last fall on one of my own topwater plugs in the canal that looked to be mid 20's but I did not weigh it, just released so I could get the plug back out there.
I get larger fish on jigs in the canal usually.
Someday I'll pass 30 pounds on a plug.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:07 PM   #12
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Slip....you caught bigger than 20 at my beach that night in June a couple years ago? You had one of your needles on then didn't you?

Old 02-28-2006, 04:37 PM   #13
eastendlu

Around the 30's range last year on a proto darter ,must have caught 8 of them and then i hooked a freight train could not do anything but hold on and then line goes slack waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish
Slip....you caught bigger than 20 at my beach that night in June a couple years ago? You had one of your needles on then didn't you?
I don't know Larry, it was dark that night, maybe 1 or 2 might have been a pound or 2 over 20 pounds but none of them reached 40" so it's hard to say.I still have that warrior needle You may have got some better.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #15
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Good wood night though!

Old 02-28-2006, 06:12 PM   #16
t.orlando

Last year first with own wood, dont plug much. Did manage a few 10-15#. Friend took 3 over 30# on a needle I gave him. Hoping to plug more this year and get some larger fish
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #17
RI Popper
Fish "one of God's gifts to us"

Send a message via AIM to RI Popper Send a message via Yahoo to RI Popper
One of the best wood nights for me was with my son Marcel 2 years ago up in Narragansette bay. We didn't get many large biggest was only 35 or 36" but we must have caught 40 fish between us all keeper size. They were hitting small poppers with wire leaders. Talk about a blast.

Armand

"Fish, just one of God's gifts to us."
RI Popper is offline   Reply With Quote