Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-19-2022, 01:59 PM   #1
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

now

I have not fished yet this year except for trout at my club FF only C&R, but the reports I have seen from guys I fished with, know and respect say that this is the best since the early 2000s. lots of 40s, lots of 50s ( i know of 9) and 1, 60 I know of. Good, I hope the species has recovered.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I've watched bunker being fed on by whales, bass and blues since they showed up this spring. Watched again this morning as I went down to take a couple casts, unfortunately all the action was two or more casts lengths away. If it weren't so damn hot, I'd launch my kayak off the beach, but in an open yak in this sun, it's just not a happy place to be in 90 plus temperature. Maybe when the temperature breaks.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:53 PM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
I have not fished yet this year except for trout at my club FF only C&R, but the reports I have seen from guys I fished with, know and respect say that this is the best since the early 2000s. lots of 40s, lots of 50s ( i know of 9) and 1, 60 I know of. Good, I hope the species has recovered.
Hopefully it's not a repeat of the late 1970s, when there were incredible numbers of big fish in certain places--back then the Outer Cape--and very little along the rest of the coast.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:17 PM   #4
zimmy

Chesapeake reports I got this spring were awful.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:34 PM   #5
Clammer

Zimmy

many of these fish are hudson river fish ><><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:35 PM   #6
hq2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Hopefully it's not a repeat of the late 1970s, when there were incredible numbers of big fish in certain places--back then the Outer Cape--and very little along the rest of the coast.
I was just gonna say the exact same thing. If you read Frank Daignault’s book about that era, that was just what things were like before the moratorium; lots of big fish, and not much else. I hate to say it, but this does NOT bode well for the future of the SB fishery.
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:37 PM   #7
hq2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I've watched bunker being fed on by whales, bass and blues since they showed up this spring. Watched again this morning as I went down to take a couple casts, unfortunately all the action was two or more casts lengths away. If it weren't so damn hot, I'd launch my kayak off the beach, but in an open yak in this sun, it's just not a happy place to be in 90 plus temperature. Maybe when the temperature breaks.
Spend $20 and get a Versabrella!
Old 07-20-2022, 03:01 PM   #8
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
I was just gonna say the exact same thing. If you read Frank Daignault’s book about that era, that was just what things were like before the moratorium; lots of big fish, and not much else. I hate to say it, but this does NOT bode well for the future of the SB fishery.
There was a photo of a guy in one of those books, who I could have sworn was me, with my white spiral Lami from Murat's, and a green 704. If it was, it would have to be from Nauset because I never fished P-town.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:50 PM   #9
fishgolf

Versabrella! Learn something new every day!!
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 04:59 PM   #10
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
Spend $20 and get a Versabrella!
Last thing a want is an umbrella to get in the way of casting and in this heat and humidity it’s not that much cooler in the little bit of shade that would offer me. Plus I prefer to stand to fish in my PA14 and it would just get in the way.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 05:02 PM   #11
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
Zimmy

many of these fish are hudson river fish ><><
For sure. I was sort of reflecting on Mike's comment about the last time and what is going on up and down the coast.

About 7-9 (?) years ago, we were on a class of fish here in CT that was in the 34-37" range. We called them the clones because we would get one after another and 8 out 10 fish were in that class. There were tons of them. Those that made it are now in the 40-50lb class. Sounds like a good number of them survived and here's hoping that the regulations have protected them well enough that they are pounding out the next generations.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 05:33 PM   #12
hq2

Well, I sit in my yak and have the Versabrella clamped to my rear wood PVC rod holder. I can keep my rod clear of it and cast fine. Works OK for me!
Old 07-21-2022, 12:08 PM   #13
Clammer

ZZZZZZZZ

this year .there is a load of fish 28" to 33" with a push to 35" and another much smaller group 30# to 40#

For block . some days you can fill a trailer truck with floaters <>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote