Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 07-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Poncho

Battery preferences

Hi guys after a few questionable starts I am going to take your advice from my other post about my raymarine a/60 and wire in two battery's. just curious what you guys think are good batteries to buy. I am going to be running a fish finder and live well I'm my Parker 1801. And also if you guys have any tips for wiring that would be helpfull as this will be my first time doing it. any info would be helpfull. Thanks guys

Roman Morone never forgets a fargon face
Poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Sears marine/optima deep cycle 3yr 100% warranty
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
ivanputski
Pete K.

I have a perko 2- battery isolator switch, but it is wired totally wrong and one battery powers nothing. I am too inept to figure it out . I need to have a competent individual help me. I take my young children on the boat and want a spare battery. I do carry a jumper pack on board.
Good luck

Last edited by ivanputski; 07-05-2014 at 12:13 AM..
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
seadogg

Since you're running two batteries you have a few options. You can use one starting and one deep cycle, two dual purpose batteries, or two deep cycle batteries. Starting batteries should only be used for starting and never discharged, so if you go with option one be sure to wire in a selector that allows you to switch to the deep cycle when engines are off. Dual purpose batteries are cool because you can use them for both starting and powering accessories when engines are off. Like deep cycles they can be discharged and effectively recharged. Option three is fine also, since it's acceptable to use a deep cycle for starting applications, as long as the cranking amps meet your needs. Naturally they can be worn down and recharged repeatedly. Whichever way you go, it's always wise to switch to one battery when engines are off and you're running power to accessories. In the event that the battery dies you'll have the other to start the engines and get you going.
seadogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
beamie

Seadoggs post pretty much sums it up. As far as brand I go to Sears like Buzz but got that regular deep cycles and not the Optima.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Seadoggs post pretty much sums it up. As far as brand I go to Sears like Buzz but got that regular deep cycles and not the Optima.
Optima makes the Sears batteries

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
clambo

batteries

Bought Cabela's AGM, failed around 24 months. I finally went with Lifelines made in USA. Bottom line you get what you pay for! They are not inexpensive. Time will tell.
clambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
jasonsnova

I run all optima dual-purpose blue tops....2 on house batteries and 1 on the cranking.....I've had very good luck with them. The 2 house batteries are hooked together and I can drift all day running radios chart plotter, fishfinder, and live well and it never falls below 12 volts
jasonsnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
beamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
....... and it never falls below 12 volts
One thing to remember, reading the voltage isn't a good indication of battery condition. Its the amp hrs (balls) the battery has. A battery that is nearing dead and won't crank your engine will read 12v with a meter but has no boost.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Also check the water often and add distilled when necessary especially if you have a shore power trickle charger
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
basenjib123

Brand names ...

Don't worry too much about brand names because there are only a few companies making these batteries. Deka and Johnson Control build the majority of them as far as I know. If you can afford it AGM batteries are the way to go. No water levels to worry about and usually last longer than a flood battery. I use Cabela AGM and get them on sale for 160-180 bucks each and they last about 5 years. A fully charged battery should read about 12.8 volts OFF the charger for 24 hours.
basenjib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I just bought two group 24 Deka deep cycle. $129 apiece.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #13
Mr. Sandman

Lifeline AGM is all I buy. I have seen them stand up for years of abuse on other boats and is why I bought them for my boats. Completely sealed, can take vibration and can take a beating. Excellent amp/hours. downside: cost , weight.
Moving 8D's in a bilge is like next to impossible. I had to build a scoffing like structure to get them in place. The have both deep discharge and starting types for your needs. IMO it is probably one of the top boat batteries. The deep discharge 8D's are popular with the solar panel crowd living off grid.

Check out http://bdbatteries.com/ . I got free shipping from Co to the boatyard and no tax. I will use them again in my next boat. You should get an honest 7+ years of hard use if you keep them charged. Repeated discharges to super low levels will reduce the life expectancy . If you keep them above 50% they will last a loooong time..

Also, make sure you set your charger to charge for an AGM battery. They prefer a slightly different charging profile than the lead acid battery you get at napa. That said they can take a hell of an initial charge...pretty much all your charger can dish out so it charges pretty quick, then steps down to a trickle. You can leave the charger on all the time if set up for agm types.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 07-18-2014 at 06:27 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
SurfMan

Batteries

Ran an Optima blue top in my 20' Sea Hunt 202 for 5 trouble free years..not cheap..but there aren't any Autozone Stores South of Beavertail. I only had a single-battery system..and needed to rely on the one battery I had..this one never let me down..

Don't buy on price alone..it could/will bite you..go with quality..and ask the pros who do this for a living what they use.

Cheap and reliable usually don't mix..especially on the water.
SurfMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
joebe

Batteries

I run Walmart Everstart Marine batteries think they were about $70 a piece. 3 years in they are going to need to be changed next year.
joebe is offline   Reply With Quote