Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 03-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
JohnnyD

Anchors...

What are people using and what do you think the benefit is of the type you use? What type of yak do you use and where do you fish?

Where you fish, are you concerned about drifting and the anchor dragging into deeper water, thus causing a potential safety issue?

Just like anything fishing, I've heard polar opposite reviews about each type of anchor and wondering what the folks in here use.

Personally, I've been looking into something like this:
Bass Pro Shops Grapnel Anchor Kit

Last edited by JohnnyD; 03-30-2010 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: 4th grade spelling
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

JohnnyD, just remember the places you fish are mostly sandy bottom. That requires a different anchor type than those fishing rockier bottoms. Don't have the answer (since I don't use an anchor), but keep that in mind.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Absolutely. A fluke style anchor is probably the best choice for holding on the sandy bottom in current. For safety's sake, I can't imagine I'd be anchoring up when yakking off the Race - I need to buy a drift sock for out there.

Places I'd probably anchor would be in the spots we schoolie fish. I also plan on making an attempt at a little bit of meat fishing.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:48 AM   #4
Rmarsh

Johnny: I have been using a simple lead weight to anchor my sit in kayak for a while now but just purchased a 3# folding anchor similar to the one you show in your post.

I will be using a trolley system to deploy it near the cockpit and move it to bow or stern. A short length of bungee will be used to allow for some stretch, and a carbiner will allow me to disconect from it. With a small float I can return and reconnect.
I will have a rescue type knife on my PFD, in case of trouble. Adding a short lenght of chain to the top of the anchor will help it dig in to sandy bottoms.

I fish some rocks offshore and usually anchor up on the lee side.
I'll also be using it on slow moving streams and ponds.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:14 AM   #5
wheresmy50

Definitely use a trolley. The first point of attachment needs to be at the front or back, not the side.

I use a 10lb (or 15 can't remember) plastic coated mushroom from Walmart. I didn't like the folding kayak anchors at all. They pull up an ocean of weeds on weedy bottoms and don't hold in the wind and waves on sandy bottoms, but I didn't use rhode (sp?) either. The mushroom works perfectly and costs less. also, you don't have to fold it and unfold it, and the rope gets wrapped around the tines - PIA.
wheresmy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy50 View Post
Definitely use a trolley. The first point of attachment needs to be at the front or back, not the side.

I use a 10lb (or 15 can't remember) plastic coated mushroom from Walmart. I didn't like the folding kayak anchors at all. They pull up an ocean of weeds on weedy bottoms and don't hold in the wind and waves on sandy bottoms, but I didn't use rhode (sp?) either. The mushroom works perfectly and costs less. also, you don't have to fold it and unfold it, and the rope gets wrapped around the tines - PIA.
I'd definitely use a trolley. Pretty cheap and easy to install.

Interesting about the 10 -15lb mushroom anchor. Sounds like a brute force method. I don't know if I want to deal with that much extra weight. I'd rather bring a 4lb anchor that weeds us, as opposed to a 10-15lb one that doesn't.