Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-03-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Thoughts?

GOP scores huge in House, Dems definitely did better in the Senate than I hoped.

Here in the People's Republic of Connecticut, we went with Democrats across the board (pretty much). I wonder if New Hampshire is looking for any actuaries.

My next prediction...Marco Rubio, the newly elected Republican senator from FL, will very likely be the Vice Presidential pick for the GOP in 2012. This kid is extremely impressive. He helps the GOP in FL, he is Catholic (huge voting bloc), and he is hispanic (he is Cuban American). In other words, he pulls a lot of levers for the GOP. The sky is the limit for this kid (he might be under 40?). And if he is able to swing the Hispanic vote to the GOP, watch how fast the Democrats change their tune on immigration, in the very next nanosecond.

Overall, I grade the night a solid B+ for the GOP. Very disappointed that Harry Reid held on. I guess CO and WA are still too close to call.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:41 AM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

too depressed to comment

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
too depressed to comment
it's tough to eject entrenched pols Jimmy ..particularly senators...but some really bad people lost their seats last night so that's a good thing..of course RI is replacing Patrick K with the most corrupt midget on the planet(not sure if it's an upgrade or not) and now has a governor that is nothing more than a union shill with a big trust fund who will roll over and lay on his back for the crooks at the state house(definitely a giant leap in the wrong direction) so we're screwed....and Mass appears to be a confused colony of people with battered woman syndrome...
just gazing at the election maps for gov, sen and the house is pretty revealing....Mass and RI are pretty sure that the rest of the country is completely out of step with them..

Last edited by scottw; 11-03-2010 at 05:01 AM..
Old 11-03-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
too depressed to comment
RIJIMMY, in the big picture, this was a colossal success for the GOP, and a disaster for the Democrats. Huge wins in the House, 6 wins in the Senate is nothing to sneeze at (and we might pick up CO or WA), and we did well with the governerships. Pelosi is out as speaker.

We have ALL of the momentum, my friend. All of it.

I did horribly locally, hope you did better. On the national scene, bear in mind we won BIG.

Lessons to be learned though...the tea party has to consider electability in general elections, not just the primaries. That cost us DE and NV.

Remember, it doesn't much matter if we have 47 senate seats or 51, that doesn't change much. Better to take the house. And governorships are big as well.

Keep the faith.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
Bronko

Overall fantastic. Obliterated the house and cruised in most gov. races. Pelosi loses the chair, Grayson and Feingold are gone. Only thing that gets me (and I should know better) is that Mass keeps electing these fools. But, great day for conservatives. Let's hope they GET the message and work their asses off to right this ship.

Last edited by Bronko; 11-03-2010 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: typo

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 11-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
too depressed to comment
Extra anti-depressants for me this morning.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Disappointed with Chafee winning. Fortuantely "Hope" is RI's theme so I "Hope" he doesn't crush us with further taxes, fees, etc.

I didn't expect Langevin to get overthrown. Even though he is pretty liberal (and I have voted for him in he past) he is no David Cilliline

I can't believe enough people voted for him. He is a financial DISASTER hack. Though Likwid probably would have voted for him if he had the chance .

Disappointed about Deval & Frank too..

Nationally, Republicans better get their bleep together or the free surface effect of the general voting middle with swing the other way in 12.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Fortuantely "Hope" is RI's theme so I "Hope" he doesn't crush us with further taxes, fees, etc.

in a state that ranks at the bottom of every measurable category financially, economically and at the top of every category for government dependence after nearly 100 years of democrat control....all that is really left is HOPE....oh...and...TRUST CHAFFEE
Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I wanted Frank out. Can't believe the dems swept MA. At least booze will be cheaper, it helps when you're being screwed. Bummed about prop 19 too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Can't believe the dems swept MA....... Bummed about prop 19 too.
Yeah, prop 19 sure explains your 'disbelief'.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
Raven

Quote:
At least booze will be cheaper, it helps when you're being screwed. Bummed about prop 19 too.

my prediction is ...and this is just a gut feeling....

that this defeated proposition Idea

will back fire right into their face....
Old 11-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
my prediction is ...and this is just a gut feeling....

that this defeated proposition Idea

will back fire right into their face....
I'm sure the Mexican Cartels are rejoicing.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

OK. In the House the ball is in the other court. Let's see what actually changes, otherwise it will swing back. The new speaker has his hands full bringing his party together w/in the House. we'll find out what kind of a leader he is.

Is the GOP kicking itself for O'Donnell in Delaware now? they could have been that much closer to the Senate; Castle probably would have defeated Coons.... and a better candidate in Nevada might have defeated Ried...

Lets see if some constructive work can get done to move us forward. it will take compromise on both sides, otherwise we'll have two more years of gridlock, and if the far right wins out over the more moderate republicans, it will benefit OBama and others running in '12.

I'm hopeful, but think the gridlock situation is more likely

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
OK. In the House the ball is in the other court. Let's see what actually changes, otherwise it will swing back. not so sure about thatThe new speaker has his hands full bringing his party together w/in the House. we'll find out what kind of a leader he is. it's a good idea to measure a leader by what he/she has done rather than what you HOPE they will do or CHANGE

Is the GOP kicking itself for O'Donnell in Delaware now?I don't think the GOP supported O'Donnell in the primary, maybe kicking themselves for not supporting the winner of the primary and in some cases jumping in on the bashing after the win over the establishment candidate they could have been that much closer to the Senatenot much; Castle probably would have defeated Coonsyou don't know that.... and a better candidate in Nevada might have defeated Riedyou don't know that...

Lets see if some constructive work can get done to move us forward.like killing OBAMACARE it will take compromise on both sidesdon't count on it, otherwise we'll have two more years of gridlockhopefully, and if the far rightplease define wins out over the more moderate republicanslike Chaffee, Murkowski and Castle?, it will benefit OBama and others running in '12.maybe
I'm hopefulhope and change baby, but think the gridlock situation is more likely
I'm hopeful
Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
buckman

What a bunch of Maholes. On the National level I am pleased.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I liked what Boehner said last night....hope he can make it work. gonna be a tough order to fill.....Democrats will be there usual argumentative selves and I think he is still going to have some issues w/in his own party as well.

Lets hope they can all grow up and do what's best for the country....and not what they think is best for their party

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #17
scottw

all of the predictable..."I hope they can play nice now" platitudes are really nauseating....look....these two parties are as idealogically opposed as they may ever have been ....we have a President and a democrat party that, just looking at their stated agenda, would like to put as much of America and American life under the direct or indirect through regulation/taxation control of a large centralized government as possible...it's what they believe idealogically....and "the far hard radical extremists" on the other side oppose that to their core, kinda like what the founders established....you think there is room for compromise???....compromise is defined by the left and media as them getting at least some of what they want till they can get more further down the road at the expense of the other side , we've been playing this game for a century and we have the most government dependent American citizenry in our history not to mention the non-citizen dependents and we are further in debt at every level and they're still spending lavishly!!!!!....let's see if the dems shove the rest of their stated agenda through during the lame duck session to ...you know....extend an olive branch of bi-partisnship
Old 11-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #18
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

Lets hope they can all grow up and do what's best for the country....and not what they think is best for their party

Amen, TDF.

My only disapointment was Frank and Reid didn't go down
like a fat kid on a seesaw.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #19
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I really, really, enjoyed what Rand Paul said. Its not what most people want to hear, but the govt doesnt provide jobs, it provides opportunity.
It was also refreshing to hear most of the Repubs speeches. Proud of their country, proud of the people, proud of work. Thats why as an independent I generally go with teh Repubs. The Dems speeches are always like High School glee clubs with a "we're gonna ram all kinds of stuff in, yeah!" with some middle class gibberish thrown in. Rubio will be a star, he is charasmatic. Got the immigrant success story we all (at least those who are here legally) can relate to. I also like the Dem in W. Virgina that shot the cap and trade bill, got give him credit. He would have gotten my vote.
I wonder if Obama will get it? Somehow I dont think so, I believe he thinks this is all about jobs and that Americans havent given his plans time to work. I dont think he really understands the "anger".

My disappointment is starting to wear off. Man I hate barney frank.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
My next prediction...Marco Rubio, the newly elected Republican senator from FL, will very likely be the Vice Presidential pick for the GOP in 2012. This kid is extremely impressive. He helps the GOP in FL, he is Catholic (huge voting bloc), and he is hispanic (he is Cuban American). In other words, he pulls a lot of levers for the GOP. The sky is the limit for this kid (he might be under 40?). And if he is able to swing the Hispanic vote to the GOP, watch how fast the Democrats change their tune on immigration, in the very next nanosecond.
I agree, Rubio has a bright future.

Quote:
Overall, I grade the night a solid B+ for the GOP. Very disappointed that Harry Reid held on. I guess CO and WA are still too close to call.
The GOP did quite well on paper, but they need to fix the issues within the party to really make this a success.

This election cycle was just as much a rejection of the establishment than a rebuke of Obama. Now that the GOP is part of the establishment once again, the people will just as likely elect more Dems in 2012 if they feel their needs aren't being represented.

Does the establishment GOP really want to give up their power? That remains to be seen.

-spence
Old 11-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #21
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

The GOP did quite well on paper, but they need to fix the issues within the party to really make this a success.

-spence
they did well in reality , right down to the state house level...you are about the 4th person to suggest that the GOP needs to fix the "issues" within the party(this always seems to be suggested or warned by people outside the party which is humorous)....care to elaborate on the"issues" that you are speaking of?
Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #22
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
they did well in reality , right down to the state house level...you are about the 4th person to suggest that the GOP needs to fix the "issues" within the party(this always seems to be suggested or warned by people outside the party which is humorous)....care to elaborate on the"issues" that you are speaking of?
I think Spence would like to see the same thing the Tea Party wants.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:

This election cycle was just as much a rejection of the establishment than a rebuke of Obama. -spence
Please. I keep hearing liberals say that, to soften the blow. If what you said was true (it was anti-incumbency, not anti-liberalism, that took place) then the % of incumbent Dems that lost would be the same as the % of incumbent Republicans that lost. That's NOT what happened.

Let's talk with some intellectual honesty. The public essentially gave Obama an "F" for his first 2 years. Given the 8 years before that, they have good reasons to doubt that the GOP is any better, but that doesn't mean they didn't reject liberalism.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #24
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Please. I keep hearing liberals say that, to soften the blow. If what you said was true (it was anti-incumbency, not anti-liberalism, that took place) then the % of incumbent Dems that lost would be the same as the % of incumbent Republicans that lost. That's NOT what happened.
No, not when the Dems are the party holding the Whitehouse, the House of Representatives and US Senate. The 2006 mid-term election had some of the same substance. Ideology put aside, the people didn't feel the government in charge was responding to the will of the electorate.

You can't say 2006 and 2008 was a mandate for Liberalism, and 2010 was a mandate against it. That makes no sense. Face it, we're at the end of an economic cycle with massive deleveraging that has sucked a lot of life from the economy. The party in power will always get hit...

Quote:
Let's talk with some intellectual honesty. The public essentially gave Obama an "F" for his first 2 years. Given the 8 years before that, they have good reasons to doubt that the GOP is any better, but that doesn't mean they didn't reject liberalism.
In both cases the people were rejecting a government that couldn't defend it's actions.

I know some really hardcore liberals who feel it's an imperative to keep their checkbook balanced. Out of control spending isn't a liberal trait, many liberals would just want to raise taxes to keep things square.

On spending, Bush was just about as bad as Obama...it's the appearance of reckless behavior that ticked the electorate off, in both 2006 and 2010.

-spence
Old 11-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #25
scottw

Quote:

I know some really hardcore liberals who feel it's an imperative to keep their checkbook balanced. -spence
this would be correct, liberals prefer to spend freely, wrecklessly and charitably with other people's money
Old 11-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #26
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Absolutely this has been anti-Obama / practices just as 2008 was Anti-Bush-Hitler from the left. Not entirely , but a good percentage of it.

Quote:
On spending, Bush was just about as bad as Obama...it's the appearance of reckless behavior that ticked the electorate off, in both 2006 and 2010.

-spence
Umm, no. Bush was really bad with spending. Obama is far worse.

Bottom line - both presidents were awful on it yet we continue to HEMORRHAGE money.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #27
Jim in CT

Spence -

"On spending, Bush was just about as bad as Obama"

That's as stupid as saying that 5 and 8 are equal. It's just not true. Bush ran up the deficit. Obama is running it up MORE.

You're entitled to you own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts. If yyou want to debate, you have to show some intellectual honesty. Obama has increased our deficit more than any president in the history of our country. I'm sorry if that fact doesn't serve your lefty agenda, but it's a fact nonetheless.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #28
scottw

Quote:

, the people will just as likely elect more Dems in 2012 if they feel their needs aren't being represented..

-spence
yeah, well there are a lot of dems up for reelection in 2012 and not many republicans, several of those dems are in red states and some are first termers that beat repubs and a couple will be up for reelection after just 2 years winning by close margins....just sayin'

Dem Senators(ind caucus) Up in 2012

Dianne Feinstein of California

Tom Carper of Delaware

Bill Nelson of Florida

Daniel Akaka of Hawaii

Ben Cardin of Maryland

Debbie Stabenow of Michigan

Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota

Claire McCaskill of Missouri

Jon Tester of Montana

Ben Nelson of Nebraska

Bob Menendez of New Jersey

Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico

Kirsten Gillibrand of New York

Kent Conrad of North Dakota

Sherrod Brown of Ohio

Bob Casey, Jr. of Pennsylvania

Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island

Jim Webb of Virginia

Maria Cantwell of Washington

Joe Manchin of West Virginia

Herb Kohl of Wisconsin

Joe Lieberman of Connecticut

Bernie Sanders of Vermont

Last edited by scottw; 11-04-2010 at 08:10 PM..
Old 11-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #29
spence

Practice what you preach.
Great point Spence

Also, they're going to have to reconcile what the winning platform is really going to look like. The GOP has built much of its base on social issues since Reagan. You let too many of those libertarians in on the party who are attracted to the Tea Party economic issues and you're going to have some problems.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 11-03-2010 at 09:47 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #30
scottw

Quote:
Practice what you preach.
Great point Spence that's original

Also, they're going to have to reconcile what the winning platform is really going to look like. The GOP has built much of its base on social issues since Reagan. You let too many of those libertarians in on the party who are attracted to the Tea Party economic issues and you're going to have some problems.

-spence
and what is the democratic base built on?...oh that's right, we saw them at the Displaced Commie rally in Washington and at the Comedian Pot rally the week after that....pleeeese....seems to me you ought to be focused on the problems that your President and his party will have going forward and careening off to the left...or not... rather than any internal struggles that the Republicans may have(which I think are quite healthy)....give then circumstances and all, I'm not crazy about a party marching in lock step...that's how you get that healthcare travesty forced through...

the "issues" that the GOP are claimed to have are these pesky little unsophisticated Tea Party types who want a Constitutional minded goverment that adheres to the basic principles that were laid down by the founders....personally, I'm thrilled to see the elitist Republocrats thrown overboard...they've "compromised" for far too long and done their best to placate and mimic there colleagues on the left to our great detrement and made it impossible to tackle many of the largest issues facing us because they preferred to grow government....the people that you consider an "issue" I consider an improvement.... RI is a great example of a democrat dominated state that has had democrat friendly go-along-to get-along republicans throughout our history...don't want the rest of the country to end up like RI

Last edited by scottw; 11-04-2010 at 06:37 AM..