Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 10-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #31
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

yeah well these doors aren't underneath an overhang and I think this is exactly what he did as he talked about "calking" obviously that wasn't enough!
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #32
sburnsey931

At minimum there should be ice and water shield under sill and out of the house behind the 1x kickboard. During installl 2 thick beads of silicone sealant go under the sill stopping any water from passing under the sill. A sill pan (which is a recommended option) should also be set in a bed of sealant.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
sburnsey931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #33
Liv2Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevier View Post
it's amazing how many doors have been put in without pans and ice an rain an have never leaked. But yet today we need pans an ice an rain underneath the doors. I never do pans just a nice bead of SILICONE underneath the door to seal it from wind or water. Doors are always located underneath a overhang, and those are usually 12 inches or 10 inches wide.
Read the fine print on most manufacturers warranty. No pan, no warranty. We've all done things the same way we were taught by the old timers but building technologies have really come a long way in the last five years with wind load research and synthetic engineering, etc.

It still has to come out to be fixed, even if it is just a better bead of the right material and the installer should own it and while it's out, why not do it right?

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Liv2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #34
Guppy
User

Told the new guy that's the wrong way to do it, he says been doing it that way for 10 yrs. and it's right, I says you been doing it wrong for 10 yrs. and good bye!
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #35
redlite

So any updates? As a carpenter i have been intrigued by this
redlite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #36
trevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
So any updates? As a carpenter i have been intrigued by this
for me, I'll use a door pan from now on. Make the homeowners feel good.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #37
Guppy
User

I always used lead for door pans and copper pans for windows (when the job required)
My son who runs the hammer end of things has gone to "flexWrap"
http://www.dupont.com/products-and-s...-flashing.html
This stuff is bullet proof IMHO, both doors and windows, passing the IECC2012 is not easy and this stuff helps with that also.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #38
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I had a strange install the other day. Had Scott (yj1990) working with me. Client wanted to have new pre hung front entry door replaced without having to remove or disturb existing exterior trim.... So this meant installing from the inside... And the client had provided the door, so it was a question of if he left us enough room to do it when he chose the size. Fortunately when we pulled out the old oak threshold the sill showed absolutely zero signs of having any water contact. and no caulking or pan. It did look like a hand hewn beam, but was only a half inch thick over the joists. Tried to use a new 1/2" on top of it but unit was too tight. Caulking was our chosen option. (ugliest door I ever installed)
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote