Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 10-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #61
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
won't touch Bud ever again now that they have moved overseas.

give me a blue moon with an orange any day( i know, gay)
Just never go with blue moon as a follow up to irish car bombs. trust me.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #62
Clogston29
xxx

we should have chased the bluemoom with bacardi limon

carbombs - now that's how beer is supposed to be

went to a bachelor party last weekend and did jagerbombs - i'll stick with carbombs in the future

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #63
bart
Red Eye Jedi

ahhh carbombs. when i was a bouncer in Boston on St. Paddy's day i finished my shift by putting down 6 bombs in a row and then tried to go around the world with the beers on tap(over 20). ended up in a snow pile on the side of the road with a twelve pack of broken beers all over me after i slipped and smashed the box over head
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #64
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Quote:
ended up in a snow pile on the side of the road with a twelve pack of broken beers all over me after i slipped and smashed the box over head

Rob, that is a great story. Love carbombs. My friend sells homemade hot sauces and convinced us to try teguilla and his sauce. Man did that burn on both ends.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #65
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Josh I never had a jagerbomb until 2 years ago out in Indianapolis. Holy crow that was a long nite. Good thing the bar was downstairs from my room

Have you ever played Thunderstruck? That was a new one on me too. HOOOOOBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29 View Post
we should have chased the bluemoom with bacardi limon

carbombs - now that's how beer is supposed to be

went to a bachelor party last weekend and did jagerbombs - i'll stick with carbombs in the future
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #66
Joe

Quote:
ahhh carbombs. when i was a bouncer in Boston on St. Paddy's day i finished my shift by putting down 6 bombs in a row and then tried to go around the world with the beers on tap(over 20). ended up in a snow pile on the side of the road with a twelve pack of broken beers all over me after i slipped and smashed the box over head
Good thing you're a huge bastid because a lightweight would have died from alcohol poisioning.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #67
fishbones

Went out last night and had a few Blue Moon Pumpkin Ales with cinamon around the rim of the glass. Perfect beer for this time of year. Now that's a beer with "drinkability".

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:39 AM   #68
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Good thing you're a huge bastid because a lightweight would have died from alcohol poisioning.
yeah i was pushing 270 at the time. only made it about half way 'round the world though...
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #69
bassackward

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Haffenreffer was the beer that gave you the best bang for the buck

Your buzz never seemed to go away when you were drinking those...stayed with you for hours.

Bad choice if your planning on sneaking past the parents that night.....Got me nailed in high school
Geez Kev, that brings back memories. "Green Death" as we called it. Remember the puzzles under the cap? I could only get them after having a few. Anybody remember Knickerbocker? Best cheap beers I remember were PBRs and Piels ($6 a case at Pease AFB when I was at UNH in mid 80s). That's $0.25 per beer. WOW

Of course, now I prefer Siera Nevade Pale Ale or similar. A 6-pack is plenty of that stuff vs 12 to 24 of the light american lagers.

bassackward
John from Billerica

A wise old man once told me"It's better to wet your line than wet yourself"
bassackward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #70
Raven

beer

isnt beer unless it's ale heh heh heh

let's see budweiser try and make one

all they make is bubbly water
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #71
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

For anybody that would like to expand their beer knowledge this is a great link to all the different styles explained....if anything it will pass the day for you at work

http://www.beerhunter.com/beerstyles.html

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #72
Clogston29
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
isnt beer unless it's ale heh heh heh

let's see budweiser try and make one
like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BottandGlassBigBudAmAle.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	29956  

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Old 11-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #73
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

The Lager Debate - Lager vs. Ale, which is better?

Most of those who are "born again" into the flavorful world of ale often become bitter (no pun intended) to the ale counterpart, lager. I experienced this first hand when a close friend introduced me to home brewing, and the rich flavors in a variety of ales. I decided that lagers were not worthy of my time. I began to boycott lagers and even badmouth them as lousy, tasteless beer.

As I grew in my appreciation of fine beers, I started to realize that good lagers do exist and I wasn't giving them a fair shot. Considering that before I was introduced to ales I was drinking some pretty run-of-the-mill, light lagers, a little exploration couldn't be a bad thing. There must be better lagers out there than what I was used to.

As an ale lover I must bite my tongue and not be so quick to judge. I can't stereotype a beer without first getting to know it. Good lagers do exist, but there are many light lagers that I won't bother with. First let's take a quick look at how some of those watery lagers are made...

Starches from rice can be broken down into fermentable sugars during the mash process. As a result there are no byproducts to add additional body to the beer, so many pale lager brewers use rice as an adjunct to keep the beer thin, and light colored, while keeping the alcohol content relatively high. Other beers tend to have more body and color because all or most of the alcohol is gained using malted barley, not rice.

Some brewers even blend (a better term than "water down") their final, concetrated beer with water in order to thin it. Repeated filtering is also used to lighten the beer, which can remove much of the quality that some beer lovers appreciate. Many micro brews and beers brewed in the old tradition are minimally filtered, if at all.

If there are no funny tricks being used to manipulate the final product, I think a good lager can certainly stand side by side with a good ale. But what really makes the difference between an ale and lager?

Lagers are made using the same basic ingredients as ale, but there are two major differences: yeast and fermentation temperature.

First let's look at the yeast. Yeasts come in a variety of styles, each developed for a certain style of alcoholic beverage. There are lager yeasts, champaign yeasts; yeasts used for pilsners, and several varieties of yeast for ale, lambic and barley wine styles. Each yeast variety has unique qualities that impact the final flavor and aroma of the beer.

The main difference between yeasts used for lagers and ales is that ale yeast is a top-fermenting yeast which means the yeast floats to the top and hangs around up there during most of the fermentation process. Lager yeast is a bottom-fermenting yeast which means it hangs around the bottom of the fermenter. During both types of fermentation the active yeast does permeate the brew and eventually settles out on the bottom of the fermenter when it is done.

The other main difference in producing a lager or ale is in the temperature during fermentation. Most ales are fermented at a controlled temperature around 70 degrees Fahrenheit, although Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale is said to be fermented at 65 degrees. Lagers, on the other hand, are fermented about 15 degrees lower, around 55 degrees.

The yeast and the fermentation temperatures play an important roll in the flavor of the beer. Ale and lagers share the benefit of a rich variety of flavors and aromas due to the yeast used, but ales tend to be more robust and fuller flavored than lagers because of the warmer fermentation. Colder fermentation tends to rob the beer of flavors that may be imparted during this process because the cold temperature subdues activity. This is also why lagers tend to take longer to completely ferment, typically a week or two longer than common ales.

The goodness of a beer's flavor is relative to the person who enjoys it. Ultimately it is the craft of brewing that matters, the recipes and traditions that fill the world of beer with such a variety of types and styles. There should be no battle over what is better. They are simply different.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #74
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29 View Post
like this
i'll wait 500 years and let ya know
Old 11-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #75
Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Haffenreffer was the beer that gave you the best bang for the buck

Your buzz never seemed to go away when you were drinking those...stayed with you for hours.

Bad choice if your planning on sneaking past the parents that night.....Got me nailed in high school

Hoo boy! I would like to say this brings back some memories but ......the fact of the matter Is I dont remember much from the days when I drank it!!!!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #76
Backbeach Jake

Right now, I'm wrapping myself around a coupla Sam Adams Boston Ales. Damn those guys are good! Their Octoberfest is a work of art. Bud has "Drinkability"? Not any more.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #77
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
Right now, I'm wrapping myself around a coupla Sam Adams Boston Ales. Damn those guys are good! Their Octoberfest is a work of art. Bud has "Drinkability"? Not any more.
NOW YOUR COOKIN !!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #78
Clogston29
xxx

Quote:
Their Octoberfest is a work of art.
just put a case or two of it down in my basement room to get me through the winter.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #79
Pete_G

Quote:
The Boston lager seems to get all the attention the Boston Ale is definitely my favorite from Sam Adams.

As for Budweiser, it's certainly not my first choice, but I've found it's really temperature sensitive. Somehow they're a lot better when they've been on ice for a while versus coming out of a fridge. Those 5 to 7 degrees seem to really make a difference. Or maybe it's just something I've tricked myself into believing...
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #80
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
If I drink beer it must have been on ice...period! Refridgerators just do not cut it! Must be bottled and it must be iced...end of story!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #81
Clogston29
xxx

but you drink that monkey piss they pass off as coffee at DD, so what do you know