Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Its officially over

free speech, American ideals, American courage....

This solider risks his life for some other country's freedom and yet cannot do things that this country's foundation is built on? Agree with him or not, since when is it a law you have to respect other people's religion? The article further goes on to say that the solider will eb sent to court. Another sad day in American history. Anyone have balls anymore?

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - President George W. Bush has apologized to Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and promised prosecution of a U.S. soldier accused of using a copy of the Koran for target practice, Iraq said on Tuesday.

Bush apologized in a telephone call on Monday with Maliki, who told him the incident had humiliated and angered Iraq's largely Muslim population, the cabinet said in a statement.

"The American president apologized on behalf of the United States ... promising to present the soldier to the courts," it said.

A U.S. embassy spokeswoman said that in the call Bush expressed his deep concern over the "completely unacceptable conduct of an American soldier."

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 05-20-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

That was a pretty stupid thing for the soldier to do. The operating mantra over there is to show that we are the good guys and the AQ/Extremist are the bad guys. Shooting a Quran doesn't go a long way in winning the "Hearts & Minds" of the local population. Our guys are in as much of a perception struggle with those people as they are a military struggle.

Our troops need to show that it is the A$$wipes sending off 10 year old kids and the mentally disabled as suicide bombers (since they are running a little low on people that want to upgrade to 72 Virgins) that are the problems, and not the American Soldier, who has generally performed brilliantly over there.

That wasn't "Free Speech", that was dumb decision that indirectly could get his buddies killed.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-20-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

so we should pander to other people's beliefs? We should not do things because we fear reprisal?
How do you "bring democracy" to a country like that?
How do roadside bombs killing this country's men and women win the "hearts and minds" of Americans?

I submit that all people in the US should stop wearing crucifixes. They are offensive to some, do you know how many jews and muslims were slaughterd in the middle ages at the sign of the cross? How about that Inquisition? Lets not offend anyone, no more crucifixes!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Not destroying what someone elses religous symbols is the American Ideal and a display of American Courage. As a soldier you are responsible to live to a higher standard, that is why there are Rules of Engagement and a Code of Conduct.

Try being a Leader that must maintain Good Order and Discipline with all the $hit going on.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 05-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
free speech, American ideals, American courage....

This solider risks his life for some other country's freedom and yet cannot do things that this country's foundation is built on? Agree with him or not, since when is it a law you have to respect other people's religion? The article further goes on to say that the solider will eb sent to court. Another sad day in American history. Anyone have balls anymore?

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - President George W. Bush has apologized to Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and promised prosecution of a U.S. soldier accused of using a copy of the Koran for target practice, Iraq said on Tuesday.

Bush apologized in a telephone call on Monday with Maliki, who told him the incident had humiliated and angered Iraq's largely Muslim population, the cabinet said in a statement.

"The American president apologized on behalf of the United States ... promising to present the soldier to the courts," it said.

A U.S. embassy spokeswoman said that in the call Bush expressed his deep concern over the "completely unacceptable conduct of an American soldier."

RIJIMMY, even I think this soldier was an idiot. It would be one thing if it was the Taliban Handbook or something, but the Koran is the divine scripture of millions and millions of good people as well. I know you and I alike would have blown a gasket if a bunch of Muslims were using the Bible for target practice.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 05-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

When I saw the title,
I thought you were going to say Hillary finally gave up...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Bronko, no I wouldnt. I'm not religious, but I watch South Park where Jesus is a regular character and religion is frequently ridiculed. Jesus is worshiped by millions, should we ban South Park?
Where do you draw the line with offending people??????????

Old 05-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
EarnedStripes44

With respect to the "hearts and minds" position of John, I believe he hit it right on the head. Free speech is one thing, but in the military, you follow protocoal.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Lets get really wacky today...

Atilla the Hun, burned and massacared every tribe he came across, as a result Asia prospered and peace settled over the region, commerce grew and leaps were made in trade and knowledge sharing.

Rome conquered every country it wanted, forced all their customs and currency on the populace. As a result, peace, trade, technology, arts, literacy all flourished across the lands.

I'm missing history's success stories of militaries winning the "hearts and minds" of people?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

We all should stop fishing, because according to some people, it causes the fish great pain and offends those people that we would be so cruel to other inhabitors of this great world.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
JohnR

Western culture has supposedly advanced a little from the wholesale raping and pillaging of what happened to those other (long gone) civilizations. Turning countries into glass parking lots is also not an acceptable option.

If you look where we have had the successes in Iraq and and where were the issues, the more successful times have come with a balanced application of necessary firepower and "Hearts & Minds". Take, Hold, & Build. Kill 'em all and let God sort them out hasn't worked. That is a reactionary practice that never works anymore - unless you are a dictator in the Third World. Or Sadam.

I don't think there is a need to go into how much was wrong at the start when they simply did not have enough troops to begin with and most of these problems might have been reduced or never really happened, not to mention the clusterbleep of the "CPA". But taking in context of what is happening now, what IS working is based on Heart & Minds, Respect, & Force.

When people that know what they are talking about like Col McMaster (now BG designate) and Gen Petraeus say that the way forward in Iraq (certainly at least the key component from the military side) is to win Hearts & Minds, I'm inclined to think they are on the right path and that taking a sniper shot at a Quran for target practice undermines that mission in a completely unneeded and effing stupid way.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

So is it wrong to burn the flag? its just somebody excersising their Freedom of Speech after all.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 05-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
So is it wrong to burn the flag? its just somebody excersising their Freedom of Speech after all.
agree 100%

Old 05-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
boot man

Hypothetically speaking, do I have the right to follow someone around and throw rocks where they are throwing plugs or eels? I do. It's only freedom of expression. (not to worry, I would not think of doing anything like this)

But it is not the right thing to do, and my wife would probably apologize for my behavior (I know, it's happened before.)

But there is also something else to consider here, it happened in their country where everyone must follow their laws, not ours, right?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #15
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Lets get really wacky today...

Atilla the Hun, burned and massacared every tribe he came across, as a result Asia prospered and peace settled over the region, commerce grew and leaps were made in trade and knowledge sharing.

Rome conquered every country it wanted, forced all their customs and currency on the populace. As a result, peace, trade, technology, arts, literacy all flourished across the lands.

I'm missing history's success stories of militaries winning the "hearts and minds" of people?
Viet Cong & the NVA
Old 05-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
It's different being part of the Military. You give up your personal Freedom of Speech because it becomes your DUTY to carry the message of the American People. One of the greatest misunderstandings of military service is that you give up some personal rights to defend the rights of others.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 05-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I personally don't think it has anything to do with the military or freedom of speech....I think the soldier, as a card carrying member of the human race, was just an A$$ for doing it.

Just like the guy that burns the flag. ( I think anybody that does that is an A$$ too)

doesn't matter what uniform you wear, what religion you follow, or what your favorite color is.......an A-Hole is an A-Hole in any language.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #18
PaulS

Your trying to win the hearts and minds of the people. Why would you do this (even if you think you had a right b/c of "free speach")? The other soliders should kick his butt for pissing off a people who think nothing of blowing themselves up to kill a US solider.

If a US solider's dies b/c a bomber blows himself up b/c of this, the solider shoudl be blamed.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #19
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
Viet Cong & the NVA
And Vietnam is now a prospering country, only proves my point.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #20
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
And Vietnam is now a prospering country, only proves my point.
What does this have to do with the fact that the Viet Congs hearts and minds campaign undermined US military policy efforts in that region during that time. It is a requisite ingredient in any successful insurgency/ guerrilla war.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #21
JohnR

Quote:
It is a requisite ingredient in any successful insurgency/ guerrilla war.
As well as any successful Counter Insurgency

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
What does this have to do with the fact that the Viet Congs hearts and minds campaign undermined US military policy efforts in that region during that time. It is a requisite ingredient in any successful insurgency/ guerrilla war.
I was referencing their brutal tactics which ultimately won. You think they won the hearts and minds of the people? I think they butchered them into submission.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #23
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
I was referencing their brutal tactics which ultimately won. You think they won the hearts and minds of the people? I think they butchered them into submission.
Much butchering did indeed occur, on both sides by all parties. However, the VC were able and did attack the US embassy long before Saigon fell. You think they did that because of a butchered civilian population. No, because they could attack anywhere in the country with impunity through a highly organized subterrenean subversion. Subversion only possible with the cooperation of a large number of South Vietnamese communist sympathizers and nationalist.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #24
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
Not destroying what someone elses religous symbols is the American Ideal and a display of American Courage. As a soldier you are responsible to live to a higher standard, that is why there are Rules of Engagement and a Code of Conduct.

Try being a Leader that must maintain Good Order and Discipline with all the $hit going on.

I agree and we are held to a higher standard. That's what sets us apart. He should be punished. What he did was stupid and I am sure his unit feels the same way. Most of those guys have worked hard and put their lives on the line to build unity with the Muslum world.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #25
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I agree and we are held to a higher standard. That's what sets us apart. He should be punished. What he did was stupid and I am sure his unit feels the same way. Most of those guys have worked hard and put their lives on the line to build unity with the Muslum world.
Considering to get things done over there they need terps and whatnot, yeah, they need to fix that otherwise they'll find themselves unable to get ANYTHING done.

Ski Quicks Hole