Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
You're right, we shouldnt have stood in the way of the establishment of the Ariyan nation either, Let them solve their own problems
You're obviously having some difficulty thinking critically.

-spence
Old 06-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #32
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

You're having some difficulty thinking.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 06-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #33
spence

No, that comes quite easily.

What's hard is to fully fathom the complexity of some of our challenges. This isn't as simple as good vs evil.

-spence
Old 06-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #34
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
\ This isn't as simple as good vs evil.

-spence
sure it is.. bush said so. they are the "evil doers" and we are "the good guys"

At least hitler was a good public speaker. What we have now is a lunatic who cant pronounce 'nuclear'
Old 06-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #35
WoodyCT

Can't we all just get along?

NO! Our human created god and the associated religions will never allow it.

NO! We, the USA, have taken it upon ourselves to play global cop so that we can help ourselves to the world's resources.

NO! We, the USA, are lead by a political system that disregards the wishes of the common man in favor of big business and its money.

NO! Political instability drives up profits, all be it at the expense of the people who can least afford it.

HATE IS PROFITABLE
Old 06-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #36
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

you guys are so misguided its painful. I can't even respond.

I guess the difference is that my paycheck comes from a "big business", you'd rather have one from the governement.
Maybe a little education will help.
Big business provides you with your electricity, your phones, computer, fuel, shipping and discrtibution of your food and supplies, your medical needs, books and entertainment. Big Business is owned in most cases by....shareowners. Shareowners are individuals who own stocks, mutual funds, 401ks, pensions plans (all pension assets have significant assets in stocks). So ultimately big business is owned is some fashion by.... the common man! Now these big profits that are so evil, are funnelled into other investments, of course the big evil profit machine wants more money. So what are these other investments? They are investments in other countries. US investors (or through their pension plans) fund investments in the electricity in Brazil, medicine in Thailand, dam construcion in Indonesia, etc. Where do you think the money comes from? Do these big business invest to make a profit? Yes, but does it have MASSIVE benefit to the world economy, YES.
Now, what else does evil big business do? It pays the majority of the US workforces salary and benefits, either directly or through vendors that rely on the other firms.
So to conclude,
The evil profits of big business fund our retirement plans, fund investment in emerging countries, fund personal investments, fund pensions plans, and ultimatley pay our salaries. Our salaries in turn fund our Fed tax, our local tah, schools etc? Make sense?
So the Dem philosopy of tax, tax, tax, is more efficient. It cuts out the "middle man" and takes the profits and gives them to the governement. In this case, it cuts out any investment in all the things I noted before! It lowers economic growth domestically and internatinally and puts more people in need of government. You dont realize how much the "evil" profits benefit you directly or indirecty.
rant over

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 06-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #37
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
you guys are so misguided its painful. I can't even respond.

I guess the difference is that my paycheck comes from a "big business", you'd rather have one from the governement.
Maybe a little education will help.
Thanks, I had no idea my 401K was tied to the free market

Who are you directing to this anyway?

-spence
Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #38
Nebe

I dont think anyone said that 'bug business' profits were a bad thing Jim.

The issue is that there is a disconnect from profits, versus pay out.

how much did the CEO of exxon mobile make last year? dont you think that half of that should have gone to dividend payouts?

were all getting screwed by the 1%
Old 06-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #39
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I dont think anyone said that 'bug business' profits were a bad thing Jim.

The issue is that there is a disconnect from profits, versus pay out.

how much did the CEO of exxon mobile make last year? dont you think that half of that should have gone to dividend payouts?
Yea, but that's just a drop in the bucket.

The oil companies are not evil, and while certainly very profitable their margins are not that far above average.

A windfall profit tax is perhaps one of the Dem's more stupid ideas as it's only going to drive gas prices even higher.

-spence
Old 06-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #40
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

A windfall profit tax is perhaps one of the Dem's more stupid ideas as it's only going to drive gas prices even higher.

-spence
I agree. If the govt. takes a windfall tax the oil companies will raise prices to make up for it.

The oil companies make approx. 4%/gal and the govt gets 15%/gal, as is.

Let's face it, the higher the price/gal the more $$ the govt. takes in.
The govt. would rather take in 60 cents/gal. at $4.00/gal, than 30 ct. at $2.00/gal.

They got a win /win situation going on us here.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #41
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Let's face it, the higher the price/gal the more $$ the govt. takes in.
Additionally the more profit the oil companies make the more revenue is generated in the form of corporate taxes.

I believe Exxon pays something like a 46% tax rate.

-spence
Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #42
Joe

You read, 4% profit and you think, "Well in comparison to other industries, that's really not a profitable business." But the math on that is tricky. You have to take into account the scale of the goods purchased and the amount people spend per year on the product, and the fact that people buy continually as prices rise.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #43
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
sure it is.. bush said so. they are the "evil doers" and we are "the good guys"

At least hitler was a good public speaker. What we have now is a lunatic who cant pronounce 'nuclear'
This is the sort of BS that makes any argument you make, suspect and proofs what most people think. Anything you say is based on your hatred of Bush.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #44
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike_King View Post
Lots of unaccounted for billions over there:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7444083.stm
No mention that Halliburton is the only company that can handle most of the work that they are bidding on. We had our own "American Union" unaccounted for billions over here too. It was called the Big Dig.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:04 AM   #45
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
No mention that Halliburton is the only company that can handle most of the work that they are bidding on.
I guess we wouldn't know as nobody else was invited to bid?

More Administration talking points

You are right though, Halliburton did possess those special skills, you know...delivering tainted water, assembling tents, running a cafeteria, etc...

It's not easy to deliver these services and loose a few billion dollars in the process.

No, they are the only company capable of this. It all makes sense now

Of course the real irony is that #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney outsources said services under Bush 41, goes on to lead the company he was outsourcing the services to, then becomes VP and outsources even more services.

But there's no conflict of interest here. Nope, move on, nothing to see...

-spence
Old 06-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #46
Skitterpop

I went to stop and get some bread, eggs, and milk at Stop & Shop today.

There were Chinese soldiers guarding the entrances and I saw my step son Travis and his family who happened to be shopping that day as well. Nine soldiers rushed to his car as he was getting out.

He was immediately pushed and shoved and they were seaching him for something. He said something I could`nt hear and he was attacked being head butted by two of the Chinese soldiers and knocked to the ground. There was blood streaming from his face and ear as he hit the pavement hard and two more soldiers kicked him multiple times as he was down with a rifle muzzle to his head. Tess, his wife, ran at the soldiers screaming and she to was knocked to the ground hitting the pavement hard and knocked unconscious. My four grandsons, ages 6 months to 5 years old, were crying which was more like screaming as all this was going on.

My heart ached and my mind & body boiled with anger and hatred for these occupying forces.

Last edited by Skitterpop; 06-15-2008 at 09:35 PM..

Good health and family
Old 06-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #47
buckman

Henry Waxman! Now that is a reliable source. I'm not saying the Big Dig is the same as missing billions in the Middle East , which I don't doubt either. Any time you have the goverment involved in handing out billions, you will have corrupt people. It has happened over and over again. This is not something invented by #^&#^&#^&#^& and George.