Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #31
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
it clearly combines right wing and tea party. Clearly!
Then they (the most prominent Tea-partiers) need to endorse non-"right wing" candidates. otherwise, the link is self-evident.

Just picking someone who isn't the status quo isn't a political platform IMHO....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #32
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
So in order to be a republican you need to tirade about liberals? Really?
Sorry, should have used an emoticon to indicate sarcasm. It's a good book, a quick read but very accessible...I gave my copy to some guy on an airplane.

Quote:
Most people are fairly moderate yet the 20% on the extreme ends are what define the parties. How convenient. So if that's the brush we paint with anyone that votes democratic is a Code Pink, ELF, PETA, Union Thug?
I think the conservative punditry has done an excellent job of giving people that impression. Less so when you reverse the picture.

What's interesting is that some studies show less than 20% of Americans would actually self classify themselves as "liberal" while over 50% or would self classify themselves as "conservative". At the same time, voters probably tend to average out in the middle.

This non-linear distribution on the spectrum is often exploited to present a picture which doesn't map to reality.

-spence
Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #33
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Then they (the most prominent Tea-partiers) need to endorse non-"right wing" candidates. otherwise, the link is self-evident.

Just picking someone who isn't the status quo isn't a political platform IMHO....
ever think that maybe your definition of "right wing" and "non-right wing" might be different than that of most tea party goers? seems to me they've been consistent supporting the candidates that most closely match up to those principles listed earlier particularly versus the alternatives...just picking someone with a dubious record who you know will be status quo that you think will surely win and get you committee chairmanships shouldn't be a political platform either ...maybe they should occasionally support a "left-wing" candidate just to be fair and placate the media and others
Old 09-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #34
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

I think the conservative punditry has done an excellent job of giving people that impression. Less so when you reverse the picture.

-spence
I would say "more so" when you reverse the picture. Its exactly how you explain that most view themselves as conservaitves vs how the vote plays out. I believe a very large percentage of the population would agree with what the tea party stands for. But they will dismiss it without question due to the media spoon feeding them.
If O'Donnell is an example of a right wing endorsement by the tp, how many candidiates were supported by the wacky left and won? you'll never know because the media acts as if the wacky left doesnt exist. they define one end (far right) but NEVER the left!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #35
scottw

Quote:
because the media acts as if the wacky left doesnt exist.
this is because they are in most cases
Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #36
spence

Quote:
I would say "more so" when you reverse the picture. Its exactly how you explain that most view themselves as conservaitves vs how the vote plays out. I believe a very large percentage of the population would agree with what the tea party stands for. But they will dismiss it without question due to the media spoon feeding them.
It illustrates more that liberal and conservative doesn't map 1:1 to democrat and republican.

A large percentage of Americans would stand for what most parties believe in. A clean environment, good schools, strong defense, a balanced budget...who wouldn't want that?

But being a "grass roots" movement you have to take the good with the bad, it's really about the people and not the platform. From what I've heard about both notable Tea Party winners this week, I can't say "personal responsibility" come to mind.

Quote:
If O'Donnell is an example of a right wing endorsement by the tp, how many candidiates were supported by the wacky left and won? you'll never know because the media acts as if the wacky left doesnt exist. they define one end (far right) but NEVER the left!
The difference here is that you don't have progressives upsetting mainstream Dems. You're trying to compare apples and tangerines.

-spence
Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #37
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The difference here is that you don't have progressives upsetting mainstream Dems. You're trying to compare apples and tangerines.

-spence
so, when Obama defeated Hillary, it was called out that he was left wing by the MAINSTREAM media? No way! The only ones screaming about his far left voting record was the conservative media and you know......only crazy rednecks listen to them.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #38
spence

Quote:
so, when Obama defeated Hillary, it was called out that he was left wing by the MAINSTREAM media? No way! The only ones screaming about his far left voting record was the conservative media and you know......only crazy rednecks listen to them.
Obama wasn't running as a progressive, and I'm not sure I'd say he's governed as a progressive president. On many fronts, Obama's policy both domestic and foreign hasn't differed that much from Bush.

That's not to imply he's a conservative obviously, but compared to real progressives he's much closer to the middle when you look at the net.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 09-18-2010 at 09:01 AM..