Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

New Guy Questions.....

Ok, so I've been reading every thread and every post trying to see exactly what is involved with building my own plugs, which I really want to try. So, I think I've decided that one of those premade kits, like Salty Buggers is kind of the way to go. But my question is this; as far as finishing the look, what are the steps exactly? Is it sand, seal, paint, epoxy? Or are there various steps in between those? And is it possible to even get a good looking plug without the initial investment in all the airbrushing equipment? Kind of lost here. Any info would be great, and remember that I'm beyond new at this, so acronyms and plug builder lingo and equipment tend to get lost on me. Thanks again, you guys are always great with the help!!

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Hookedagain

Sand, Seal, Prime, Paint, Epoxy, all with ample drying time for each. As far as paint goes.....almost all of us started with rattle cans. Some never switch to an airbrush, and their plugs are fantastic. Go to plugfest in March and you will be blown away. Bring your camera and take a lot of pics and ask a lot of questions.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Hookedagain

Oh I almost forgot.... after sanding add weight,fill holes, sand again and then seal.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Kits are a great starting point. After setting weights, if any, in with a wood filler, seal the plug. You could brush or dip in a spar varnish. Your choice if you want to cut it 50/50 with mineral spirits. (not necessary IMO for doing your first kit plug) Hang to dry a couple days. Spray or dip in a primer. Hang to a day or more. Break out the rattle cans and experiment with colors, overlays, etc. Let dry. I like to rig and put in eyes at this point. Then it is fun with two part epoxy time.... Acid brush, gloves, heat, and a way to hold the plug and flip it every ten minutes over the next hour anyway. Devcon 30 minute epoxy is good enough and economical for this.

If you like the whole process, start breaking out your wallet. I am a carpenter with plenty of woodworking tools, and I still ended up spending a grand adding to my plug making tools. Lathe and duplicator bought used and on the cheap. And the drills. And the weights, wire, swivels, duplicator, carbide cutters, lathe tools, epoxy, brushes, rattle cans, primer, spar varnish, mineral spirits, split rings, hooks. Numerous hours hunting down parts to build spinners, etc. And it is totally enjoyable! Start slow and see if it is for you, and your budget. Took me four years to finish something I could build start to finish in the same season. And six years before I would show any of my plugs or be willing to trade them....

You have my invite in the PM I sent last week, so set up a time and come over to see what I have set up. It aint perfect, nor mass production, but it is a great winter hobby for me.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

thanks hooked.....umm, what's a rattle can?

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

spray paint
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

ahhh.....now I feel stupid

Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
stripermaineiac

Don't. We all go through it every time we hear a new idea. Type in your topic an hit search. Some of the info these guys have posted is best read a couple times.There are some really talented guys on here that will help you get started.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.ShoreFisher View Post
ahhh.....now I feel stupid

Sorry.... That spots already taken,,,, How about just having fun,,,,

Also ,,,,, never look at a plug that doesnt come out very good as a failure,,, look at the mistakes and learn from them,,,,

GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

will do!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
GooGoo Man
Addicted to plugs

I offered to give him lessons in plugbuilding, I hope he knows what he is in for!
GooGoo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
stripermaineiac

I've caught loads of fish on my goof ups. It's worse than bein addicted to snack cakes in some ways LOL
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooGoo Man View Post
I offered to give him lessons in plugbuilding, I hope he knows what he is in for!

I will be up for that. Lol. I promise to hang a monster on one of your plugs this year.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Caught my pb on a plug I made myself. One of the best feelings, have fun and can't wait to see what you come up with.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #15
Hookset

All I can say is you came to the right place to learn. What I have learned from these guys over the past 3 years is amazing and I could write a book (but I won't!) good luck and I will look forward to seeing your 1st creation. By the way, start setting aside $ now, this hobby is totally addicting!
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #16
GooGoo Man
Addicted to plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
I will be up for that. Lol. I promise to hang a monster on one of your plugs this year.
Tom,

you are always welcome !
GooGoo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
Jimbo

If you go to Salty's site , he has links to the steps you can follow in finishing a plug.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
WoodyCT

Salty kits are a great way to get started.

Great plugs that catch fish.

Once you get the hang of all the finishing steps you can look into getting a lathe and doing the whole kit and caboodle yourself.
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
Rockfish9

you dont live far from me.. your welcome to spend some time in my shop with me...I think I can help you with a thing or two....

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Dan came over last night for the nickel tour. I was able to show him all the steps, tools, materials and was hopefully able to explain it well enough to him. Had him take a turn on the Vega as well. He seemed to be soaking it all in and I sent him off with a Saltys kit to get him going. Told him that Plugfest was a must do event. He had already asked for that day off from work!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
Hookset

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Dan came over last night for the nickel tour. I was able to show him all the steps, tools, materials and was hopefully able to explain it well enough to him. Had him take a turn on the Vega as well. He seemed to be soaking it all in and I sent him off with a Saltys kit to get him going. Told him that Plugfest was a must do event. He had already asked for that day off from work!
that is like going to a crack dealer for a little sample.... get the wallet out
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #22
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

haha, yeah, it was great! I already got the plug primed, and put the base coat of black today. Gonna try the old mesh bag trick for the scales. I figure if you learn from your mistakes, I might as well be over ambitious and really learn alot! lol. Thanks again for the tour Ross, I'm probably gonna be over in the next few days or so to do the epoxy setup on the turner you have if you don't mind. And goo goo, I haven't forgot about your invite, I think maybe next thurs night will be good. I will let you know for sure tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help guys.