Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Beer & Beverage

Beer & Beverage Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
rphud
GrandBob

Blind Pig IPA

Was in Philly and was told to go to Monk's Cafe for beers (264 South 16th Street near Rittenhouse Square). If you are in the neighborhood you should stop in. Very good beers and food both. They had Russian River Blind Pig IPA which they touted as possibly the best IPA in the states. Great stuff. Just a very straight forward, unadulterated, "untweaked" IPA which may just be the best in the states. I would have to do some serious head to head tasting to prove it, and am very willing to do so if it can be arranged.

And the brewer's site says this:

Blind Pig IPA: Blind Pig IPA was originally brewed by Vinnie at Blind Pig Brewing Co. in Temecula CA. Inspired by the original Blind Pig IPA, this beer is loaded with hop character but only has 6.0% ABV.

6.0%ABV, 1.060 O.G

Silver Medal, 2007 GABF (American IPA)
Gold Medal, 2006 World Beer Cup (American IPA Category)

Looks like straight A's at Beer Advocate with 958 reviews. Not too shabby!

I would say if you find it on tap somewhere you should most definitely have some, and then some more. Probably the same for bottles. First place I have seen it on tap though, so good luck hunting it down. If somebody knows where it is in these parts please post up. I will buy it!
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Sea Dangles

Did you get the mussels?Greatest Belgian beer selection I've seen is at Monks.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
rphud
GrandBob

Most certainly did and they were great. Without a detailed analysis I would put (at least) the on tap selection at the Armsby Abbey ahead of Monk's, but that is probably picking at nits. I would be quite happy to have either in the neighborhood. Probably more like ecstatic and full of very good beer most of the time, and all the lighter in the wallet. When if Philly I will always make it a point to stop in. Something called Beer Traveler rated them as one of the best places to drink beer in the world. Can't wait to find and try a few of the others.

Stay thirsty.....respect beer
Old 04-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
zimmy

Love blind pig. I am spending my summer right by the Russian River so I will be coming home with extra Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
rphud
GrandBob

I was able to partake of both Elder and Younger at one of the BA Boston events a while back (once the lines went away, was only worse for Duck Rabbit there) and had a very slight preference for The Younger (again picking at nits) but both were superb. Also thought that Founders Double Trouble was right there with both of 'em.

Are you saying you will be "importing"? I would be very interested.