Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 09-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
fish4striper

RI vacation fishing

Finally got around to writing up a report from vacation in RI 8-13 to 8/27. Didn’t have internet down at the cottage so it was tough to go online and after back never got my lazy azz to post a report.

Had some good days and other days motoring for miles without seeing anything. Not a lot to hold the bait and/or fish so it seems pretty hit or miss. Need to fish the temp breaks in hopes of success. Days we couldn’t get offshore, we fished inshore and did well with fluke. Bonito eluded us except for one stray.

8/13 Had a good day when we checked in. Couldn’t check in till later in the afternoon and with a 5-10 wind forecast, had to get offshore. Highlight of the day was 2 real nice mahi, one was 14 lbs. Got a ton of smalls ones also.

Ended up getting two tiny BFT also.

Here’s a pic of one.

My son wanted to take his friend shark fishing so 8/17 we took off to coxes to shark. We did some pot hopping and got a few mahi then setup a slick. It was pretty calm so it took awhile to get some sharks coming. My son fought the first one on a 50. Nice fight and he boated it in 15-20 mins. Next one, we tried a spinning rod and put his friend on it. After he awhile, he was like “I can’t do it”. I said Justin, You’re a football player, you can do it! He says,”Ok, ok,ok I can do it”. LOL we all started laughing. He ended doing pretty good once we coached him. Here’s’ some pics:

Justin fighting his 1st shark

On 8/20 winds subsided enough to run out. We decided to try and hit the claw. Got over there for sunup and trolled around for awhile. Finally got a light bite on the long pink witch bally. Fish seem to hit it twice. Dropped it back and nothing came back. Pulled it in and half the bally was gone. Not sure what it was. Tried the area for awhile and got no more hits so headed off to Cox and mudhole. Tried some pots but only found small mahi. Trolled over on coxes for awhile and finally got bit on a short transom plug.
Fought it for 10 mins, thought it was a small tuna. Finally got it up close and it’s a small mako. This plug gets hit a lot. I said, get him in the boat, I want my plug back!

Not sure what kind of plug this is, but it gets hit a lot. I bought it on Block Island at Twin Maples. It weighs 4-5 ozs. Anyone know?

My buddy Bill took his son and a friend sharking on a day I went back to work. They did well but I never got pics. We tried offshore the Friday before the hurricane but we trolled for miles with no actions. Overall we had a lot of fun. We had raised a white in a trip before this but never saw one on these trips.
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Looks like some great fishing, not all stories since you have photos as proof. Can't beat fresh mahi! I got to get out there some day.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
niko

nice to know who my friends are - not 1 call . nice pix. pretty good vaca

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
BigBo

Nice report Jeff.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Nice work work. Glad to see the kid enjoying the fishing.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
MikeD

Great Pics!
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote