Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Ice Fishing

Ice Fishing Fishing Hardwater

Old 10-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
FishermanTim

55+ days and counting...

Just getting my last few kayak trips under the belt before I put it away until spring.
I have given up on any hope of catching a keeper this year, and I've given it quite a few shots this fall alone.

I am looking forward to first (safe) ice and the potential for a fresh caught fish-fry this winter!

Bring on the ice!!!!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
SolOmoN

Send a message via Yahoo to SolOmoN
lol..... I will start trapping bait next week.... lol will be looking for them gators...chomp chomp

sol...

SolOmoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
FishermanTim

I always love the initial reaction I get from hibernators (indoor folks) when I mention I am looking forward to the cold weather.

Then I explain how I used to be a winter recluse when I was younger, and then I "discovered" skiing and snowboarding, which I did for many moons. When my knees told me I had had enough I smitched to ice fishing and that's where it stands right now.

What I find ironically humorous is how they will say "I hate the cold" as if it were a side dish on a take-out menu.

I look forward to the winter with a child-like anticipation and an elders respect for what it could bring.

Thanks for the reminder to get set for bait retention.
I primarily use dillies when jigging for panfish, and I like to keep a constant supply on hand for those times when I can't get to the bait shops.

LET'S BRING ON THE COLD!!!!!

Old 10-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
SolOmoN

Send a message via Yahoo to SolOmoN
Ill tell you what.... you jig up the small perch and i will clip a wing and catch a gator. While fishing in Maine last year we cooked a 12# pike up it was very good. Clean air.... sunshine.... tilts working running for flags.... cooking and a beverage of your choice, last but not least a cigar. Yep its coming.

SolOmoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
FishermanTim

I have, on occaision, jigged up small perch and made it a point to offer them to the pike fishermen that were nearby.
(This was at Heards Pond)

Half the fun is being able to jig up fish when others are getting skunked, not to brag about but to show them that they should have a "plan B" when the shiners are doing it!