Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
spence

The new McCain campaign

Have you noticed how the McCain campaign has gone from disorganized to simply immature?

So the base hates him already, and to court independents he's returning to the same Karl Rove tactics that so revolted independents in the last two election cycles.

Before I saw McCain as the lesser of two evils, but I'm getting closer to abstaining every week.

-spence
Old 08-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
boot man

Sadly, I agree with you. I had hoped for better from him. And he says he's proud of the ads, that's the part that kills me.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

One part entertainment+one part political satire=a race.

His people are only trying to show Obamas level of maturity, which I am sure you both realize.

Gallup poll has them dead even. And after Obama's european coronation tour I'd say that doesn't bode well for Obama. An AOL poll has McCain 64 % to 34 %.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 08-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
saltfly

this is just dribble.laugh at all of it.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Joe

Check out the electoral map - it's more accurate than polls.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Raven

Arrow do ya think

he's become Giddy?

because he feels he's got it all sewn up already....

i don't want a president that's as stern as Fred Thompson acted
on the one hand...

but being a US president is a very serious JOB....
than to be another clown like GEORGY BUSH-man

oh wait..that was very unkind of me
A Bushmen has vastly superior intelligence.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
Scaup

The ad maybe over the top and ridiculous but at another level it I think it accurately reflects Obamas feeling over this whole thing - that he is the answer to the countries problems - that is a bit presumptuous and arrogant. Its a bit of a parrallel to Hillary's feeling that she was the "anointed one" for the democratic nomination and look where it got her...

Both options are a joke and neither is the answer to what faces this country
Old 08-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfly View Post
this is just dribble.laugh at all of it.
90 some odd more days of this nonsense.

" Choose Life "
Old 08-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
Nebe

IMO Obama isnt saying he IS the answer... He is saying He will FIND the answer. There is a difference, but in typical republican fashion, McCain is going negative..

what a joke.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #10
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Personally I think the electoral college is a joke. Sure it was needed back when it was instituted, but not now. My thoughts are "let the people decide". There is nothing written in stone that a delegate has to vote the way their constituents want. Many probably do, but some don't I'd bet. Dump the antiquated system and go to the popular vote.

From what I see Obama is already thinking about what he will do in his second term.............
Old 08-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #11
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Accurate yes, corrupt is more apt description. Electoral votes are being sold for the highest prices ever this election. It may be the last time an election is influence by this outdated/corrupt entity.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 08-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
IMO Obama isnt saying he IS the answer... He is saying He will FIND the answer. There is a difference, but in typical republican fashion, McCain is going negative..

what a joke.
He most certainly is saying he is the answer or he wouldn't be running. And being negative isn't saying that "they don't think I look like anybody else on all those bills".

I never would have sent that donation if he doesn't think he is the answer.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 08-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Accurate yes, corrupt is more apt description. Electoral votes are being sold for the highest prices ever this election. It may be the last time an election is influence by this outdated/corrupt entity.
Al Gore felt the same way. But getting rid of the Electoral College would require a constitutional amendment - that would be tough - I'm not aware of any pending legislation to start the process. If they can't get a flag-burning amendment - I don't think disbanding the EC is on the horizon.
I'm not sure how electoral votes could be sold. With the exception of Maine and Nebraska if a canidate wins a state's popular vote, the electoral votes are winner-take-all. In FL in 2000, the reason they were so concerned with paper ballots and hanging chads was because those votes would determine the designation of the EC votes.
Maybe you meant the super-delegates - in the dem primary process, and yes - that system is corrupt.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

A little off topic, I was in the Orlando airport yesterday walking behind a group of African americans. Not sure how to say it politicallyu correct, but they wee derssed up like rap gangsters. Another group of African Americans walked by and had pro-Voting shirts on. The group I was following starting yelling, "Thats Right!" "Its Obama y'all" Very loudly. A number of white people turned around, mostly older people and the group replied (louldy) " I dint say McCain, I said Obama y'all!" Turn Around!"

Do you know how many people in earshot that may have been on the fence will now lean towards McCain? I posted out here before, that African Americans will be Obama's worst enemy.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I posted out here before, that African Americans will be Obama's worst enemy.
I'm sure there are a few good ones that will help out

-spence
Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #16
fishsmith
DDG-51

RIJ, you'll love Ludacris' new song, "Politics as Usual" .
Old 08-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #17
Joe

I saw this one at a restaurant Saturday...
"Tell Your Mama Vote For Obama" bumper sticker...

Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #18
Raven

bang knuckles together
Old 08-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #19
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Al Gore felt the same way. But getting rid of the Electoral College would require a constitutional amendment - that would be tough - I'm not aware of any pending legislation to start the process. If they can't get a flag-burning amendment - I don't think disbanding the EC is on the horizon.
I'm not sure how electoral votes could be sold. With the exception of Maine and Nebraska if a canidate wins a state's popular vote, the electoral votes are winner-take-all. In FL in 2000, the reason they were so concerned with paper ballots and hanging chads was because those votes would determine the designation of the EC votes.
Maybe you meant the super-delegates - in the dem primary process, and yes - that system is corrupt.
When one person or a small group of people can undo how the majority votethen d that is a breeding ground for corruption. I don't whether we are talking about super (corrupt) delegates or the electoral college. It will change the face of democracy in this country if people running for office have to actually do what the majority of the people want.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 08-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I'm sure there are a few good ones that will help out

-spence
Rev. Wright, Jesse Jackson..........

Old 08-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #21
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
A little off topic, I was in the Orlando airport yesterday walking behind a group of African americans. Not sure how to say it politicallyu correct, but they wee derssed up like rap gangsters. Another group of African Americans walked by and had pro-Voting shirts on. The group I was following starting yelling, "Thats Right!" "Its Obama y'all" Very loudly. A number of white people turned around, mostly older people and the group replied (louldy) " I dint say McCain, I said Obama y'all!" Turn Around!"

Do you know how many people in earshot that may have been on the fence will now lean towards McCain? I posted out here before, that African Americans will be Obama's worst enemy.
I think the pollution from Hannity & Limbaugh and the Rove operatives do far more harm to Obama than black kids in get out the vote shirts. And besides its in Florida, the state election commission ensures you need not worry about any constitutional subversion courtesy of blacks.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
I think the pollution from Hannity & Limbaugh and the Rove operatives do far more harm to Obama than black kids in get out the vote shirts. And besides its in Florida, the state election commission ensures you need not worry about any constitutional subversion courtesy of blacks.
you mis-read my post. It was not the people in the vote shirts. It was other people shouting about Obama and telling "white" people to turn around, beacuse they werent yelling about McCain. Their point was Obama was the BLACK candidate.
there were easily 200-300 people in a crowded airport witnessing this.

That is devisive behavior that will push white people on the fence away from Obama. Tie that in to Wrights comments and people will, unjustly so, fear a black president.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #23
EarnedStripes44

Tie Sean Hannity into the equation too, and he gives people mirky reasons without due regard to fact to be suspicious of Obama the race issue aside. Sadly he has got millions of listeners.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #24
Scaup

People on the fence are one things but others will still avoid pulling the trigger for Obama for many other reasons
Old 08-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #25
Nebe