Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-19-2020, 01:17 AM   #1
scottw

Oh boy....

just when you think it couldn't get any crazier....
Old 09-19-2020, 05:59 AM   #2
Jim in CT

exactly. we are now in a whole new plane of crazy.

i liked ginsburg personally, really liked that she and scalia were very good friends who even vacationed together. we could use a lot more of that ability to disagree respectfully. especially now!

unless the senate republicans make it clear they won’t confirm anyone until next year, unless that's the case, there’s no way this potus doesn’t nominate a staunch conservative, and there’s no chance it will be a white man, so he’ll get the democrats to show, right before the election, just how much they care about women and minorities with the smear campaign about to happen. amy barrett looking very compelling, staunch catholic with 7 children who schumer will smear without mercy.

elections have consequences. that’s what obama used to like to say. funny how the willingness to accept that idea changes so regularly for people with zero principles.

this is trumps chance to actually re shape the next 20 years. you could
argue it’s more important than him getting elected.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Jim in CT; 09-19-2020 at 06:08 AM..
Old 09-19-2020, 06:04 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
just when you think it couldn't get any crazier....
if trump gets a conservative confirmed, and the democrats win the presidency and senate ( decent chance) look for them
to increase the number of scotus justices. thats their only card. there could be 50 judges on that court before we’re dead.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:10 AM   #4
Nebe

Her death is going to seal the gop’s fate.

Watch how they behave over this.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:15 AM   #5
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

That started hours after her death, Moscow Mitch didn’t even wait a day before announcing his intentions, which is beyond disrespectful.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:

the american people freely chose to give senate control to the gop. i’m pretty sure those people want them to replace RBG with a staunch conservative. but we’ll see.

if trump nominates a non white man, and the senate democrats do to her what they did to kavanaugh, and a few percent of swing voters are turned off that, that seals Biden’s fate. lots of if’s.

obama nominated garland, then gave his nomination to the senate. the 2016 election shows that the american people were ok with what senate republicans did. why the heck wouldn’t trump do the same?

elections have consequences.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 09-19-2020 at 06:57 AM..
Old 09-19-2020, 06:52 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
That started hours after her death, Moscow Mitch didn’t even wait a day before announcing his intentions, which is beyond disrespectful.
how long did the democrats wait after scalia death to plot the political strategy? i bet you don’t know, because you didn’t care.

it’s an unfortunate political reality. they can’t wait. not should
they.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 09-19-2020 at 06:58 AM..
Old 09-19-2020, 07:04 AM   #8
spence

Trump might not nominate anyone.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:14 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
and Kate Upton might put on a bikini and deliver a 42’ Wesmac to my driveway today.

you are cute sometimes.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:20 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
and Kate Upton might put on a bikini and deliver a 42’ Wesmac to my driveway today.

you are cute sometimes.
I’m thinking he might use it to try and drive out more of the base, vote him in or you’ll lose your pick. Trump doesn’t care about a conservative court one whip, it’s all about winning. Remember he’s desperate.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #11
Nebe

Quote:
I’m thinking he might use it to try and drive out more of the base, vote him in or you’ll lose your pick. Trump doesn’t care about a conservative court one whip, it’s all about winning. Remember he’s desperate.
Or he will nominate a woman.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:28 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
there is no way that hes going to roll the dice on him winning and in the gop maintaining the senate. i doubt 5 presidents in history have had the chance to shape the next 30 years that he now has. you don’t pass that up. this is possibly more
important than his re election.

and having the nation watching senate democrats smear and attack a female/minority nominee, will give him lots of political capital in the election.

he’s not desperate, he’s to cocky to think he has a chance of losing. you still don’t get him.

if i had to choose between replacing her with a conservative or trump getting re elected, id choose tilting the court to the right.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:32 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Or he will nominate a woman.
he’s nominating a woman, to make the democrats show the country they don’t actually like women as much as they claim to. right before the election. it’s a no win situation for the democrats, a complete disaster. it was very risky for her not to step down during the obama presidency.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #14
spence

Quote:
there is no way that hes going to roll the dice on him winning and in the gop maintaining the senate. i doubt 5 presidents in history have had the chance to shape the next 30 years that he now has. you don’t pass that up. this is possibly more
important than his re election.
It’s important to you, not to Trump. There’s no guarantee he’d even have the votes and a loss right before the election would seriously deflate a lot of enthusiasm in the base. Won’t be able to blame that on a rigged election either.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:47 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
It’s important to you, not to Trump. There’s no guarantee he’d even have the votes and a loss right before the election would seriously deflate a lot of enthusiasm in the base. Won’t be able to blame that on a rigged election either.

this is the most pro life president in history. he doesn’t want to replace ginsburg with a conservative?

you’re right, he might not have the votes, which is why i said very clearly that not having the votes is the only way he doesn’t nominate someone. i completely agree a thumbs down vote on. a nominee would be a disaster before the election. obviously.

if he has the votes, this is a disaster for the democrats. in addition to having the court shift, they are in a no win situation. if they give his female nominee the kavanaugh treatment just before the election, undecided voters may get turned off. if they don’t give her the kavanaugh treatment, they run the risk of angering the progressive wing of their base, who aren’t thrilled with biden already.

a disaster. their only hope is trump not having the votes. which could
happen, especially with susan colins up for re election. that's the democrats only hope.

what does joe manchin do? he voted for kavanaugh.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #16
Jim in CT

interesting video of trump being told on a live camera about Ginsburg’s death by a reporter. he managed to not blow it for once.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:21 AM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
if trump gets a conservative confirmed, and the democrats win the presidency and senate ( decent chance) look for them
to increase the number of scotus justices. thats their only card. there could be 50 judges on that court before we’re dead.
That's exactly what I think will happen if Republicans can replace her. Also if that happens there's going back to any civility ever
Old 09-19-2020, 11:23 AM   #18
PaulS

Quote:
Interesting strategy to try driving up Republican participation / votes
Old 09-19-2020, 11:30 AM   #19
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
That's exactly what I think will happen if Republicans can replace her. Also if that happens there's going back to any civility ever
If civility is your goal, or most important goal, some form of dictatorship or authoritarian rule is your best bet.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
why wouldn’t he nominate someone and send it to the senate? that’s exactly what obama
did. after scalias death. why is it ok when obama did it, but the end of civility if trump does it?

there’s been little civility since 2008. there’s a 95% chance they replace her before the election.

packing the scotus is foolish, eventually the other side will
do the same thing. hell the gop can do it now.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
Interesting strategy to try driving up Republican participation / votes
and about as smart as saying “i won powerball today, but i’m
not going to cash in the ticket because that way the prize will
increase next week, and hopefully i’ll win again.”

to think he’s not going to nominate someone before the election ( if they have the votes in the senate) is to know nothing about him.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #22
Jim in CT

the democrats took scotus confirmations to a new level of political bs with bork, to the point that there is a new word to be unfairly vilified, to be “borked”. it continued with thomas and god knows with kavanaugh.

meanwhile, obama’s two nominees got plenty of republican votes.

for good or ill, this is where we are. the democrats under Biden and Reid brought us here, and not wanting to be wearing boxing gloves when the other guy is wearing brass knuckles, we elected trump.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
to think he’s not going to nominate someone before the election ( if they have the votes in the senate) is to know nothing about him.
Oh he’ll nominate someone, I just don’t think they’ll put it up to a vote before the election. Worst case for Trump is he gets crushed and rams it through lame duck. Then Biden takes the oath and the prosecutions begin.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Oh he’ll nominate someone, I just don’t think they’ll put it up to a vote before the election. Worst case for Trump is he gets crushed and rams it through lame duck. Then Biden takes the oath and the prosecutions begin.
he won’t nominate someone unless he has the votes.if they have the votes, why in god’s name would
they wait?
Old 09-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #25
wdmso

Republicans can't even hide there dishonesty .. even a legitimate selection process takes longer than 50 days

And Jom election have consequences BS you pull out to defend them when they would not put garland foward and stonewalled for a year but this is ok .. Republicans have zero moral ground. On any topic its really sad to watch
Old 09-19-2020, 01:29 PM   #26
wdmso

Quote:
he won’t nominate someone unless he has the votes.if they have the votes, why in god’s name would
they wait?
because its the Right thing to do.. its not cryptic
Old 09-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Republicans can't even hide there dishonesty .. even a legitimate selection process takes longer than 50 days

And Jom election have consequences BS you pull out to defend them when they would not put garland foward and stonewalled for a year but this is ok .. Republicans have zero moral ground. On any topic its really sad to watch
why 50 days? trump has been maintaining a list for 4 years.

obama nominated garland, and sent that nomination to the senate. the senate chose not to confirm. i’m not sure it’s reasonable to assume the american people have senate control to republicans because they wanted scalia replaced with garland.

this is the same thing. trump will
probably nominate someone, and send the nomination to the senate. i’m sorry, but that’s how it works, and i’m sorry that elections have consequences.

the senators can do what they choose, and shortly after, he people will decide what we think of that in an election.

the american people
elected trump, and gave senate control to the democrats. that had consequences.

if you want to go back to the days when senators on both sides confirmed all nominees, if also welcome that. bill clinton’s no
i need were confirmed, almost unanimously in ginsburgs case, a lot of republicans voted for her. then the democrats changed the rules. if they changed the rules thinking they’d hold the senate forever and never be on the receiving end, that’s their fault, blame harry reid for that.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Scalia died on 2/13/16

Garland was nominated on 3/16/16

have someone do that math for you. that’s about 31 days, and 31<50. so either kindly show us your posts back then where you said obama went too fast and therefore it was an “illegitimate selection”, or kindly admit you’re a naked hypocrite who can’t subtract.

you don’t even know what you’re saying, it’s just left wing incoherent gibberish.

and i did not like what senate republicans did back then, i said that garland should have had a vote, where they voted no. i probably said that here, it’s how i always felt.

friggin hypocrite.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
because its the Right thing to do.. its not cryptic
on what basis is waiting the right thing? obama didn’t wait, he nominated garland and sent the nomination to the senate. note that the senate republicans didn’t fabricate rape charges against him, or attack him for drinking beer in high school.

i’m not a huge fan of McConnell, but this is where he shines. he’s a shrewd legislative mechanic. he can most likely get 50 votes, in which case get ready for a very different SCOTUS. one that makes decisions based on what the constitution actually says, not based on what they wish it said. that’s a good thing.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #30
Nebe

Did you masturbate after posting that?