Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Tail weighted metal lips

So who else tail weights some of their metal lips?

Came up in discussion with two different builders.

I know Bobby at beachmaster tail weighted his atom 40 and atom jr, which both cast and swim great.

I do my jrs the same way.

I have added a 5 gram tail weight to some pichney eely clones to help casting distance with no visible difference in action.

Also tail weighted a creek chub hybrid and a couple peanuts.

Anyone??

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

When I used to make plugs, I tailweighted atom 40's like the originals

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
JLH

I haven't made any metal lips with tail weights yet but I make an effort to keep my belly weight as far back as possible which seems to really helps out with casting.
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
blondterror

I have made some Atom Juniors with tailweights to help the casting as well. Used the Jr lip from M&Ds

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
stripermaineiac

I've found that it's a great way to control depth and casting. I've got just about every old type swimmer you can imagine in my old stuff. The swim an casting difference is all over the place. Soak, wood and hardware all add to the equation. Most of the older surface stuff has no tail weight. Tie off adjustment up an down make a huge flexability option that is nice on about all swimmers. I use a tail weight as it helps castability. The size makes a depth of swim change. Just my 2 cents
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
Diggin Jiggin

I do it, it takes a surprisingly small amount of tail weight to remove most of the tumble on the cast. Doesnt really seem to affect the action too much. Ive experimented with slimming down the back half a little to compensate for the additional weight but doesnt really seem to make too much of a difference.
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I find it kills the tail wag. Can't think of any production metal lip swimming plugs that have tail weight? My .02 cents. Never had the need and no issue with casting on any of mine to make it a worry?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #8
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I tail weight plenty of them, particularly plugs like conrads, to maintain balance when using a flag rather than a tail hook.

The original wood A40 by Bob Pond did not use a tail weight. He did, however, make a trolling version that was heavily tail weighted.

Creek chub also made special versions of both large surfsters and medium pikies that had huge amounts of tail weight. I copied the weighted surfster but did not like the action and eventually converted it back to a regular surfster by pulling the two weights, inserting a dowel, and re drilling.
I've also test swum the original weighted pikie I own. Comes in DEEP and like a stick (not necessarily bad). I suspect it was meant for subtle action in fast deep water. It floats straight up and down, but during the retrieve the lip pulls the face of the plug down.

Bottle plugs are almost always tail weighted and swim fine. They get away with it because the back half of the body is thick and adds buoyancy.

The BM atom jr uses a small tail weight but this is primarily to balance the plug (which has a lot of forward heavy hardware).

I think (but am not sure) that the effect of a tail weight on a plug's action depends somewhat on where the plug swims. Surface swimmers definitely wag more if the tail is light and lifts as the lip pulls the head down (not that a big wag is always what fish want). Once the plug is underwater, however, my sense is that to a degree a small amount of tail weight adds momentum to the tail to overcome the water resistance and increase wag a bit.

Likewise, moving the belly weight back tends to slow the action of the plug down.

I think big bass like long, slow wagging swimmers although on days when they follow but refuse the plug I often will try a faster wagging plug like a shorter danny, surfster, or Gary2 swimmer (which is the best of the bunch in my experience.....thanks Paul) sometimes with good results (although you can use a spook to do the same thing).
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
pbadad

I have a few tail weighted like the BMjr, my version of the 54B ATOM and my super slim pike. On that plug a 7 gram doesn't effect the waggle and it dives nicely w/lefty 2 mid and 2 belly weight, 7 grams each.

Last edited by pbadad; 11-26-2016 at 07:50 PM..

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
I have a few tail weighted like the BMjr, my version of the 540 ATOM and my super slim pike. On that plug a 7 gram doesn't effect the waggle and it dives nicely w/lefty 2 mid and 2 belly weight, 7 grams each.
I do almost the same on my metal lip Danny copies. The only difference is (2) 5gram in the middle and (1) 7 in the tail.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote