Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
If you had a brain you wouldn't have questioned the article.

So either show us statements from the "dozens of families" or admit you're dishonest (either way you're petty for even commenting on the plural).
The article couldn't even get the title right. There weren't multiple families that spoke against arming teachers.

If you were told there was a shooter at your kids' elementary school, a shooter whose goal was to kill as many kids as possible before dying, and you choices were

(1) wait for the police to show up, or
(2) have armed teachers in the school,

in that situation, I can't believe any meaningful number of people would pick #1. Now, thank goodness these shootings are rare, and on 99.99% of school days, you can make a compelling case that kids are safer with no guns in school. But once there's a shooter hellbent on random mass murder? I don't think any meaningful number of parents would pick #1.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #32
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
The article couldn't even get the title right. There weren't multiple families that spoke against arming teachers.

The author probably figured that anyone with a brain would have know that mutiple people would have thought that way and they didn't have to quote more than one.

There were multiple people as I provided quotes from 2.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
When you say you know them, do you know them? I don't know a few dozen, but I do personally know people who lost a child, a former colleague who lost a child, and have a good friend who had kids in Sandy Hook School that day and I have NEVER heard them say they wish the teachers were armed. Pretty sure you are making that up and it is a pretty egregious thing to state that if you don't actually know it. I understand the sentiment you are referring to, but many of those parents have dedicated their lives to preventing it happening to other people and I don't know one of them who is promoting armed teachers. I do know some of them are appalled by the idea.
I came to know two families, whom I met afterwards when I brought my pet therapy dog to the scene and then to their homes. I would never ask them anything about the incident, so I didn't take a poll.

"it is a pretty egregious thing to state that if you don't actually know it

I apologize, didn't mean it that way, but I hear you.

"I don't know one of them who is promoting armed teachers"

I don't either. I was speculating. I'm very comfortable with the speculation.

How about if I phrase it this way, instead of making a specific reference...I'm comfortable that 99% of parents out there, when informed there is a mass shooter at school determined to kill as many children as possible before being stopped by police, would rather have armed teachers than wait for the police. I'm sure I am correct.

If you or Paul disagree, can you tell me on what basis you'd rather wait for the cops to show up? Because of the chance that if the teacher tried to intervene, he'd shoot innocent kids? That's obviously a possibility, which is why I'd rather see soldiers in the schools than armed teachers. But it's incredibly unlikely that someone trying to intervene, could accidentally cause nearly the carnage of someone trying to cause as much carnage as possible.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 03-16-2018 at 12:32 PM..
Old 03-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
The author probably figured that anyone with a brain would have know that mutiple people would have thought that way and they didn't have to quote more than one.

There were multiple people as I provided quotes from 2.
Or he could have lied and used the word families intentionally, in order to attempt prove the liberal point he was trying to make.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #35
PaulS

Quote:
Or he could have lied and used the word families intentionally, in order to attempt prove the liberal point he was trying to make.
Why lie when more than 1 family stated the same thing? Maybe only providing 1 quote was a way to get the Conserv. anger going?
Old 03-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why lie when more than 1 family stated the same thing? Maybe only providing 1 quote was a way to get the Conserv. anger going?
"Why lie when more than 1 family stated the same thing? "

We've long past beaten this to death. In your NPR article, I saw 1 family (just the husband actually) speak against the idea. If there was more than one family speaking against arming teachers, I was 100% wrong.

"a way to get the Conserv. anger going'

I'm not even a little bit angry. How come when you challenge me, you don't admit to being foaming-at-the-mouth angry? It's only a symptom of anger, when I challenge you?

Paul if you heard there was a shooter at a school that your little kids were in, and you had every reason to believe that it was one of these shooters whose only goal was to kill as many children as possible before being stopped...you'd rather wait for the police to show up, than have an armed teacher intervene? I'm not asking whether or not you want guns the other 99.999% of the time, I mean in that godawful scenario? You really think the expected body count is lower, by waiting for the cavalry to show up? I can't fathom how you could think that.

I'm opposed to arming teachers, because I think the harm (accidental shootings) outweighs the benefit I think would be gained during the unthinkable (and rare) mass shootings. But if I knew a mass shooting was taking place? I see no benefit in waiting and praying, then you are at the mercy of someone who has no mercy.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #37
PaulS

Quote:
"Why lie when more than 1 family stated the same thing? "

We've long past beaten this to death. In your NPR article, I saw 1 family (just the husband actually) speak against the idea. If there was more than one family speaking against arming teachers, I was 100% wrong.

"a way to get the Conserv. anger going'

I'm not even a little bit angry. How come when you challenge me, you don't admit to being foaming-at-the-mouth angry? It's only a symptom of anger, when I challenge you?

y.
And it was a petty to mention that there was only one quote in the article and to say liberals are horrible at math or whatever the heck you said. And then in the same thread when you talk about honesty you lied and said there was dozens of families from Newtown who want teachers armed yet you can't provide one quote. I'm not foaming at the mouth angry. I don't constantly come back to comment on every post that I see that I disagree with at all hours of the day night and weekends like you do. Look at your interactions with everyone you disagree with here and tell me that doesn't show anger.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #38
spence

Quote:
Now, having guns in school may cost more lives than it saves (accidental shootings, someone getting their hands on the guns, etc). But there is a potential benefit to having someone on scene with a gun. Are you really going to say that makes no sense?
I don't think anyone is saying it makes no sense. They're saying it makes little sense. The negatives are pretty significant.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I don't think anyone is saying it makes no sense. They're saying it makes little sense. The negatives are pretty significant.
I think many people are saying it makes no sense (if Trump supports it, it must therefore make no sense). I agree with you on the negatives 100%.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #40
Pete F.
Canceled

I understand emotionally how one can say if there were only more people with guns the problem would be cured. However i think if you do a "cost benefit" analysis of the situation wherein 10 of the 50 million school age children are killed by guns in schools and we are going to solve it by putting armed guards in all 125,000 schools in the USA.
Let's see if we have more than 10 die from Negligent discharge or other associated causes.
Now if you want to talk about the children killed or injured by guns outside of school, I could only hope that you are not convinced that having more guns would solve that also.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-17-2018, 01:14 AM   #41
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

I understand emotionally how one can say if there were only more people with guns the problem would be cured.
I'm pretty sure no one has ever said this....
Old 03-17-2018, 07:11 AM   #42
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I'm pretty sure no one has ever said this....
Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
I never said “give teachers guns” like was stated on Fake News @CNN & @NBC. What I said was to look at the possibility of giving “concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experience - only the best. 20% of teachers, a lot, would now be able to

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #43
scottw

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
I never said “give teachers guns” like was stated on Fake News @CNN & @NBC. What I said was to look at the possibility of giving “concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experience - only the best. 20% of teachers, a lot, would now be able to
which has no resemblance to what you stated
Old 03-17-2018, 08:09 AM   #44
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
which has no resemblance to what you stated
I guess 20% is equal or less than are currently in schools or is it just an alternative fact

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #45
spence

Quote:
I think many people are saying it makes no sense (if Trump supports it, it must therefore make no sense). I agree with you on the negatives 100%.
Well, to be fair I don't think most of what Trump says makes any sense. No thought behind any of it, he just repeats the last thing he saw on FoxNews.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #46
scottw

Quote:
I guess 20% is equal or less than are currently in schools or is it just an alternative fact
wtf are you talking about?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:29 PM   #47
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
wtf are you talking about?
You can’t figure this out
I’ll explain it in simple terms
The president Donald Trump suggested that 20% of teachers (qualified)would carry firearms
I assume you think that is less than are currently in schools

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-18-2018, 05:04 AM   #48
scottw

Quote:
You can’t figure this out
I’ll explain it in simple terms
The president Donald Trump suggested that 20% of teachers (qualified)would carry firearms
I assume you think that is less than are currently in schools
you wrote...and I quoted...

"I understand emotionally how one can say if there were only more people with guns the problem would be cured."

no one has said more more people with guns would "cure the problem"....

it's easy to make a false statement like that, argue against it and then claim that anyone that disagrees with you must be crazy....it's done here on a regular basis

Trump wrote..and I quote from you..."What I said was to look at the possibility of giving “concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experience - only the best. 20% of teachers"

that is an entirely reasonable statement...especially for Trump...and bears no resemblance to what you wrote and claim some have said or "one can say"

what has been said and is obvious is that if someone is shooting at you and those around you in one of these situations...your BEST chance for survival is if someone has the ability to shoot back....you may not realize it but there are a lot of people who carry concealed weapons...could be standing behind you in the grocery store...you would never know...I worked with a guy for years who was always carrying....he never shot out a ceiling tile or anything else....no one suggested forcing a bunch of teachers to carry guns and strap ammo belts across their chests like is being portrayed....I'm sure if it was ever put forward snowflake teachers and unions would freak and organize walkouts anyway....but schools would obviously be safer if it had employees, teachers or others who had the ability and training to shoot back if there were a situation.....there's that and in the Florida case...if they actually held that kid accountable rather than what did happen where a bunch of liberals were busy stroking each other and handing out awards to each other for keeping bad kids out of the criminal justice system so they could stay in the schools and terrorize their teachers and classmates...I'm not sure what "the cure" is for that kind of stupidity

Last edited by scottw; 03-18-2018 at 08:35 AM..
Old 03-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #49
scottw

interesting...

Jan 18, 2018 - A student was stabbed at New Rochelle High School, police say, the second one to be injured in a fight after a 16-year-old girl died in another stabbing last week.

Monday, December 18, 2017 Bronx school where student was stabbed to death to be shut down

Dec 19, 2017 - BROWNSVILLE, Brooklyn — A student was stabbed near a Brownsville high school and then ran inside the school for help Tuesday afternoon, officials said.

November 7th 2017 , Ga -- A 14-year-old student is being detained, while a 15-year-old is being treated for stab wounds after a stabbing this morning at Ballard-Hudson Middle School.

Jan 23, 2018 - Two Lincoln High School students stabbed each other during an altercation between the two on Tuesday, the San Diego Unified School District (SDUSD) confirmed.

Feb 22, 2018 - A Lawrenceville teen accused of stabbing his father and brother before fleeing police Wednesday afternoon had been sent home from school hours earlier for bringing a knife to campus.

Feb 25, 2018 - A first-year student in the University of New England's College of Osteopathic Medicine was stabbed to death Saturday morning inside a public library in Massachusetts.

Jan 11, 2018 - Two students have been hospitalized after police say a third student attacked them with a knife at a Prince George's County high school Thursday morning.

Mar 5, 2018 - Castroville boy, 12, in stable condition after stabbed at school. ... A student was viciously stabbed in the chest by another student at North Monterey County Middle School in Castroville Monday morning, according to deputies.

Jan 18, 2018 - A 16-year-old boy was stabbed by another student inside New Rochelle High School on Thursday morning, the third violent incident in the past eight days involving students from the school.

Jan 27, 2018 - An 18-year-old Valley Community School student reportedly stabbed another student Friday in Los Banos and was arrested for attempted murder.

Feb 19, 2018 - A student at Permian High School was stabbed three times following a fight after school on Monday.

Jan 30, 2018 - “He said, 'Well, Mom, I hope I don't get stabbed today,' ” Martinez, 47, recalled. Gianni told The Post that after the third violent incident, “Everybody was panicking. “Like, who's next? What's going to happen?” he said.

Feb 6, 2018 - Police say a 16-year-old male student from Parkdale High student was stabbed multiple times during an incident near the school grounds in Prince George's County.

Feb 19, 2018 - ODESSA, TX — A 15-year-old student has been arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a second-degree felony. The charges against him came following a stabbing at Permian High School today.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #50
wdmso

Quote:
interesting...

Jan 18, 2018 - A student was stabbed at New Rochelle High School, police say, the second one to be injured in a fight after a 16-year-old girl died in another stabbing last week.

Monday, December 18, 2017 Bronx school where student was stabbed to death to be shut down

Dec 19, 2017 - BROWNSVILLE, Brooklyn — A student was stabbed near a Brownsville high school and then ran inside the school for help Tuesday afternoon, officials said.

November 7th 2017 , Ga -- A 14-year-old student is being detained, while a 15-year-old is being treated for stab wounds after a stabbing this morning at Ballard-Hudson Middle School.

Jan 23, 2018 - Two Lincoln High School students stabbed each other during an altercation between the two on Tuesday, the San Diego Unified School District (SDUSD) confirmed.

Feb 22, 2018 - A Lawrenceville teen accused of stabbing his father and brother before fleeing police Wednesday afternoon had been sent home from school hours earlier for bringing a knife to campus.

Feb 25, 2018 - A first-year student in the University of New England's College of Osteopathic Medicine was stabbed to death Saturday morning inside a public library in Massachusetts.

Jan 11, 2018 - Two students have been hospitalized after police say a third student attacked them with a knife at a Prince George's County high school Thursday morning.

Mar 5, 2018 - Castroville boy, 12, in stable condition after stabbed at school. ... A student was viciously stabbed in the chest by another student at North Monterey County Middle School in Castroville Monday morning, according to deputies.

Jan 18, 2018 - A 16-year-old boy was stabbed by another student inside New Rochelle High School on Thursday morning, the third violent incident in the past eight days involving students from the school.

Jan 27, 2018 - An 18-year-old Valley Community School student reportedly stabbed another student Friday in Los Banos and was arrested for attempted murder.

Feb 19, 2018 - A student at Permian High School was stabbed three times following a fight after school on Monday.

Jan 30, 2018 - “He said, 'Well, Mom, I hope I don't get stabbed today,' ” Martinez, 47, recalled. Gianni told The Post that after the third violent incident, “Everybody was panicking. “Like, who's next? What's going to happen?” he said.

Feb 6, 2018 - Police say a 16-year-old male student from Parkdale High student was stabbed multiple times during an incident near the school grounds in Prince George's County.

Feb 19, 2018 - ODESSA, TX — A 15-year-old student has been arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a second-degree felony. The charges against him came following a stabbing at Permian High School today.

Or are you suggesting #5

5 classic responses after mass shooting or mention of gun control

A good guy with a gun would have stopped it

Shooters target gun-free zones

No laws could have prevented the tragedy

Terrorists and criminals aren't deterred by laws

Guns are just a tool, like knives and hammers
Old 03-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #51
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Or are you suggesting #5
nope...just wondering where the walkouts, marches and protests are against "Big Knife", manufacturers and sellers of knives and the NKA...you know...those who are clearly responsible and have blood on their hands

that was just a tiny sample from the past couple of months...I got bored
Old 03-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #52
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
interesting...

I think we should ban schools.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #53
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
haaaaa

I was joking about the NKA...but apparently such a thing exists....

"Without a dedicated grassroots organization to protect our knives, they are an easy target for those who seek restrictions on our freedoms. Knife Rights is that dedicated grassroots organization."
Old 03-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #54
wdmso

Quote:
nope...just wondering where the walkouts, marches and protests are against "Big Knife", manufacturers and sellers of knives and the NKA...you know...those who are clearly responsible and have blood on their hands

that was just a tiny sample from the past couple of months...I got bored
Yea #5
Old 03-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #55
scottw

it's sad that you don't care about the carnage regularly being caused by knives in our nation's schools
Old 03-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #56
wdmso

Quote:
it's sad that you don't care about the carnage regularly being caused by knives in our nation's schools
What's sad you only cared after the protest by the students and the push back against the NRA
Old 03-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #57
wdmso

A 13-year-old girl in Mississippi has died after allegedly being shot by her nine-year-old brother over a video game, police say.

"He's just nine," Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell told the Clarion Ledger.

"I assume he's seen this on video games or TV. I don't know if he knew exactly what this would do. I can't answer that. I do know it's a tragedy."

he knew were the gun was an knew how to use it , but lets blame Tv and Video games ... when access is the issue
Old 03-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #58
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
A 13-year-old girl in Mississippi has died after allegedly being shot by her nine-year-old brother over a video game, police say.

"He's just nine," Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell told the Clarion Ledger.

"I assume he's seen this on video games or TV. I don't know if he knew exactly what this would do. I can't answer that. I do know it's a tragedy."

he knew were the gun was an knew how to use it , but lets blame Tv and Video games ... when access is the issue
so explain to everyone how you would have prevented this tragedy
Old 03-19-2018, 08:37 AM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
so explain to everyone how you would have prevented this tragedy
This is current day liberalism, this is almost all that it is. It's not about solving problems by addressing the root cause, it's about finding a boogeyman to rally against, and creating the illusion that everyone who isn't on the side of the liberals, is in bed with the boogeyman..it's about creating divisiveness, that's all it is.

Want secure borders? You must by a xenophobe.
Opposed to Black Lives Matter? You are a racist.
Think Christian bakers have constitutional rights? You are a homophobe.
Think unborn babies are precious? You are a sexist who hates women.
Think Islamic jihadists are an issue? You are an Islamophobe.
Think schools should not be promoting liberal rallies during school time, but instead should be, I don't know, teaching? You don't care about dead kids. Shame on you Scott. Shame on you.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
And cars, too.