Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-20-2003, 12:43 PM   #1
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Question Chirac's Ties To Saddam Hussein

New Information Ties Chirac to Hussein
By Gregg Bish
GOPUSA News
February 20, 2003

HOUSTON, TX (GOPUSA News) -- According to the online subscription-only news service Stratfor.com, French resistance to a war with Iraq may go deeper than simple French distaste for war. There may be an element of personal loyalty between French President Jacques Chirac and Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

Stratfor.com released information claiming that Chirac said he was "truly fascinated" by Hussein during a 1987 interview with the Manchester Guardian. Other information indicates that Chirac facilitated agreements between Baghdad and Paris resulting in the purchase of a seventy megawatt nuclear reactor and fuel in 1975, and the purchase of a one megawatt research reactor.

Reportedly, France also agreed to train six hundred Iraqi nuclear technicians to service the budding Iraqi nuclear industry in exchange for a lucrative Iraqi oil contract.

Additionally, the French magazine Le Canard en Chain reported correspondence between Chirac and Hussein. The correspondence praises "the cooperation launched more than twelve years ago for the sovereignty, independence and security of your country," according to Le Canard en Chain.

If true, the connection between the Iraqi nuclear industry and French President Jacques Chirac could seriously cloud the French President's moral claim to have the interest of the Iraqi people at heart in seeking to avoid war.

While the information reported by Stratfor.com, and brought to public attention by syndicated talk show host Rush Limbaugh on Wednesday, could not be verified through routine means, the article quoted extensively from material published by Le Canard, the Manchester Guardian, and the New York Times. The coverage, published as early as 1974, again in 1981 and 1986, continued through 1988. Reportedly, former French President Valerie Giscard D'Estaing halted the arrangements with Iraq in 1994, saying that Chirac's actions were entirely apart from the French government.

Chirac has been the wheelhorse of the anti-war movement in the United Nations and the EU, seeking any means possible to stymie and delay efforts to force Saddam to disarm. Most recently, when efforts to prevent NATO protection of Turkey in the event of war came unraveled, and following a harsh EU statement demanding Iraqi disarmament in the face of stern consequences, Chirac scolded his fellow EU members and threatened prospective EU countries.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Sad - I had seen this aluded to elsewhere recently. It was also mentioned that France will eventually do what's best for the French commercial interests - so don't be suprised to see some of their forces mobilizing too. They could not sit idly by while the US & GBrittons take over the second largest known petroleum reserves...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:38 PM   #3
striperswiper

FRENCH &GERMANY

I am joining many in a personal boycott of anything from these countries.....period.

Mike
21' Gradywhite/"SeaTurtle"
Cranston R.I.
Narragansett Bay
striperswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 02:15 PM   #4
fishsmith
DDG-51

I order German-fries with my burger at McDonalds now.
There's a memory problem with the leaders in France.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 02:32 PM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally posted by fishsmith
I order German-fries with my burger at McDonalds now.
There's a memory problem with the leaders in France.
Not sure I follow you? Unless I'm not thinking simple enough (French Fries, French Dressing, French Bread... all for Monique - what's that from ?? )

The only thing I know about "German Fries" is that they're cooked in Peanut Oil which will never happen here because of a lawsuit when someone allergic to peanuts forgets that he's allergic to peanuts - otherwise they were ligther & less fattening thatn the crap they have here ...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 03:04 PM   #6
fishsmith
DDG-51

You were right following the "Better of Dead" theme.

I should of stuck with the "Freedom Fries" like this place did:
http://www.austin360.com/aas/news/ap...dom-Fries.html
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote