Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Ľ Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building Ľ Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2022, 02:08 PM   #31
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Looks like a level.sink. 8" long?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Slight tail down, and have a shimmy in the water. Think superstrike 1 3/4oz and a Habs 2oz combined.
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #32
derekH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_man7 View Post
Carlezon needlefish duplicates.
Tommy, birch dowels? grain looks different then the ones i bought. i have been starting to use more belly weights in needles and getting a better swim/glide out of them.
derekH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:35 PM   #33
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekH View Post
Tommy, birch dowels? grain looks different then the ones i bought. i have been starting to use more belly weights in needles and getting a better swim/glide out of them.
Birch and one sugar maple, the grain is obvious on the maple one.

These are kiln dried birch dowels from kelloggs hardwood years ago.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:43 AM   #34
pbadad
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
pbadad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: North Branford,Ct.
Posts: 7,291
Tommy is that a screw eye hook hole? Looks like a recession to fill w/ epoxy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 12:39 PM   #35
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Tommy is that a screw eye hook hole? Looks like a recession to fill w/ epoxy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Yes, wanted to keep it traditional. I figured through drilling with a 5/32 bit would remove too much wood buoyancy and impede upon the action.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:43 PM   #36
derekH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 20
Tommy, back in 2008 Flaptail posted the "sd special needlefish" its for an eelskin. it is also built with screw eyes. It is worth building a couple. It works, i changed it a little to thru wire this last year. but the original caught worked good for me
derekH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:47 PM   #37
pbadad
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
pbadad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: North Branford,Ct.
Posts: 7,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_man7 View Post
Yes, wanted to keep it traditional. I figured through drilling with a 5/32 bit would remove too much wood buoyancy and impede upon the action.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
True. Maybe thru one and drop the equivalent weight of wire. Im sure u can create the same effect.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:42 AM   #38
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekH View Post
Tommy, back in 2008 Flaptail posted the "sd special needlefish" its for an eelskin. it is also built with screw eyes. It is worth building a couple. It works, i changed it a little to thru wire this last year. but the original caught worked good for me
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ial+needlefish

Neat plug, Iíll have to give it a shot. Thanks for sharing!
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:41 PM   #39
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
Derek whatís the diameter on the SD SPECIAL?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:32 PM   #40
derekH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 20
Tommy, first ones i made i used 3/4 . birch dowel. the thru wire i am playing around with this year i am using ayc and more lead mid plug.
derekH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:18 PM   #41
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekH View Post
Tommy, first ones i made i used 3/4 . birch dowel. the thru wire i am playing around with this year i am using ayc and more lead mid plug.
Upload some pics, I would like to try my hand at a few; and learn from your mistakes as well!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:04 AM   #42
derekH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_man7 View Post
Upload some pics, I would like to try my hand at a few; and learn from your mistakes as well!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
tommy, tried to put pictures on computer years ago, never figured it out. could not figure out how to save them or where they were, dont have a cell phone other then old flip phone in truck for emergency. It would be nice to be able to sell stuff, but i made it this long so the hell with it
derekH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:31 AM   #43
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekH View Post
tommy, tried to put pictures on computer years ago, never figured it out. could not figure out how to save them or where they were, dont have a cell phone other then old flip phone in truck for emergency. It would be nice to be able to sell stuff, but i made it this long so the hell with it
If you can email me them, I can post them up.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:30 PM   #44
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 9,918
Blog Entries: 2
Some not so recent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	588.3 KB
ID:	69072  

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:15 PM   #45
derekH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_man7 View Post
If you can email me them, I can post them up.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I cant email them to me! i couldnt figure how to get them on the computer. computer i have now has no place to put the card thing. i was told i have to buy something that plugs into the computer.. I was happy with film
derekH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:44 PM   #46
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekH View Post
I cant email them to me! i couldnt figure how to get them on the computer. computer i have now has no place to put the card thing. i was told i have to buy something that plugs into the computer.. I was happy with film
Hmm, if I ever see you bring it along. Problem solved haha
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:22 PM   #47
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 9,918
Blog Entries: 2
OK!!! I have had it with this heat. I am giving up on working on one of my decks and going to the plug room in the basement to TURN!!!!!

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:42 PM   #48
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
OK!!! I have had it with this heat. I am giving up on working on one of my decks and going to the plug room in the basement to TURN!!!!!
SMART MAN! My dog will sit in the shop with me for hours while I test my designs in the pool. Best plug partner Iíve had. He will watch them swim, if theyíre good he keeps his eyes locked in on it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:57 AM   #49
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 9,918
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_man7 View Post
SMART MAN! My dog will sit in the shop with me for hours while I test my designs in the pool. Best plug partner Iíve had. He will watch them swim, if theyíre good he keeps his eyes locked in on it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Love it Tommy. We should figure out how to fish at least once during the fall run.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:24 AM   #50
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Love it Tommy. We should figure out how to fish at least once during the fall run.
Totally, letís do it
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:36 PM   #51
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
MS Slammer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C1D25ECE-A27E-4160-A05D-FD93531DC5CE.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	69094  
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:59 AM   #52
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 9,918
Blog Entries: 2
WOW!!

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:34 AM   #53
pbadad
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
pbadad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: North Branford,Ct.
Posts: 7,291
Tommy u joining the "mouse " club!LOL
Bet it swims great on top with that lip.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:23 PM   #54
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Tommy u joining the "mouse " club!LOL
Bet it swims great on top with that lip.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Ha, this one I cut the tail fin slot too wide and stuck a sluggo in. The rest get a soft plastic tail.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:14 PM   #55
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
Anyone turning?
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:03 AM   #56
derekH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_man7 View Post
Anyone turning?
Experimental sand eel swimmers and Darter hell. and soon to enjoy system 3 and cold temperatures. I need to build a enclosed box that i can control temp
derekH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:54 PM   #57
Linesider82
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Linesider82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Derek you may have sealer bleed. 4hrs is way too long to soak. The excess sealer internally may not of fully cured even though its been awhile. I say this because I tried hot soak birch a couple years ago. Yes it absorbed the sealer quick but too much. I was increasing the needle weight by 6-9 grams. The wood weighed unsealed 28 grams. Thats approx 25%. Within a couple weeks of finishing the process of prime- epoxy., I noticed clear coat lifting on half of the needles. The clear cost lifted everything from the bare wood.
Mind you Ive been doing this same needle for 10yrs or so and the only difference done was this excessive soak. Immediately I went back to my proven.method of 30minute cold soak in 60/40 spar varnish and mineral spirits.
BTW I ended up scraping off all the needles to bare wood and let them dry for a month. I weighed them first then after. Found a drop of half the added weight from the sealer. Fellow builders have done experiments in sealing soak times and found no benefit from soaks longer than 10 minutes.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I heat some of my plugs, specifically maple darters to be epoxy sealed. Because epoxy chemically cures there is no off-gassing issue later. The result is a super strong plug, especially considering the bottom lip takes abuse and maple is not sealed well splits, I find the extra time to epoxy seal darters is worth it for me. Ayc darter lips, even if sealed this way still break.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 12:20 PM   #58
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 9,918
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_man7 View Post
Anyone turning?
Tommy, I have been making some needles for DZ and Bob Huddy. We are fishing The Block the last week of the month on the New Moon. I'll post some pics when I get 5 seconds to breath. My better half has me transplanting stuff after I worked at the GC this morning.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:48 PM   #59
t_man7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekH View Post
Experimental sand eel swimmers and Darter hell. and soon to enjoy system 3 and cold temperatures. I need to build a enclosed box that i can control temp
Epoxy and cold temps do not mix. Best of luck!

What style sandeel swimmers? I found the slopehead gives them a little better swim, and cupping the lip.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
t_man7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:00 AM   #60
derekH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_man7 View Post
Epoxy and cold temps do not mix. Best of luck!

What style sandeel swimmers? I found the slopehead gives them a little better swim, and cupping the lip.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The sand eel swimmer that Rockfish9 posted a how to on,Tried a couple different lips. rwc, pine, ayc. and some board thats been in the shop for 40 years +. I thought it was pine but sucks up sealer more then any wood i tried.
Lost 2 Agitators to huge bluefish last couple days. so they are on the list to do now
derekH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com