Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
cheferson

Canine laryngeal paralysis

Has anyone had a dog come down with this?
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Raven

had a dog eat some rat poison and go into paralysis

heart stopped three times ,,,,,,,,

i revived her three times while still driving to vet

possibly a strychnine from a mouse bait
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

I have, Tyler

I'd recommend Angell Memorial for evaluation, which is where we took our golden at the time - in the end, they're no more expensive than your regular vet and from our perspective, having dealt with them a number of times, there isn't any other choice when the chips are down. THey're the best. Period.

Our golden's laryngeal paralysis was congenital, not a result of ingesting anything and they performed a tie-back (of the larynx) to allow him to breathe better.

Unfortunately, he also had megaesophagus, which meant he was unable to keep his food down because of issues with the musculature in his esopagus. It was a pretty terrible one-two, several bouts with pneumonia and he finally succumbed to an aneurism. That was a pretty tough one - he was one of those one-in-a-million guys.

That was my experience but remember, there were the other complications which made it worse for him and us.

The tie-back will help with the paralysis - but again, get your pup to Angell for an evaluation at the very least.

Good luck with your buddy

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
cheferson

Thanks! WHere is Angell Memorial? He really isn't to bad yet, just an occasional gasp. I'm just worried one day i will come home and he will be blue and have to get a t him to sleep.How was your dogs quality of life after the tie back? Complications? Pneumonia from food? ALso what did they charge you if you dont mind me asking? SHep is 10 and otherwise really healthy. Im broke , but really love my dog. Im going to try feeding him some lions mane mushrooms in the mean time. They are supposed to help with nerve function and growth.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Tyler, check your PM's if you haven't already

Angell is in the Jamaica Plain area of Boston and not hard to find - there's also an easier route to get there than what you'll find on a Mapquest or Yahoo search

Give me a call on my cell if you want - I can give you more details if you need them and it's easier than typing...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
cheferson

Thanks crafty, i will grab your ear when we meet up.