Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #121
Fly Rod

Lets keep this piticular site to TUNA FISHING.........
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #122
fish4striper

Haha, good one Chris
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #123
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

I gotta admit, the Tyler from the Pinwheel always looks kinda stoned, but I think it's more because he just doesn't stop fishing and never sleeps.. just hard to believe he can be that focused on fishing and be stoned...
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #124
zacs
D'oh

i think the show goes out of their way to portray those kids as stoners.

i liked the ca-kaw... that cracked me up. I assumed it was a habit from fishing from a crowd. we usually go out of our way not to point or scream when fishing crowds/blitzes to try to keep people away...

I would bet that more than half the country (only counting those over the age of 16) are occasional pot smokers.

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #125
niko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Niko was screaming that every time he hooked a cod; friggin' dopehead!
STFU propboy

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #126
buckmanjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Nice.
One of them now has his own boat. ( was told his new boat is the 37 Duffy with modified keel and twin motors "Zoro" out of Scituate and winters in the parking lot @ Baypoint Marina in Quincy Ma.
Not bad for a pill popping dead beat dad collecting a gov disability !
He's running Preti's bruno this year.

HOTREELS
buckmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #127
Fly Rod

Tyler's father owns "Mayflower International," its a huge moving company.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #128
Subsurface508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Tyler's father owns "Mayflower International," its a huge moving company.
That kid sure knows how to catch that's for sure. His old man taught him well.
Subsurface508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #129
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsurface508 View Post
That kid sure knows how to catch that's for sure. His old man taught him well.

I've been told he learned for some of the best, including Paul Stern on Tunatangler2

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #130
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanjr View Post
He's running Preti's bruno this year.

Was told the boat "Zora" (not Zoro) was being prepped for the sale to a local tv star on a tuna show.
That part I heard 2nd hand so who knows......
The rest I was told by multiple guys who don't make up #^&#^&#^&#^& and are very close friends with others on the show.
Was told lots of boats he worked on, the owners got a visit looking to see how he got paid.
Not hard to figure out anyway.
Hands down the best fisherman on the show and a mate his whole life instead on owning the boat..........

For my $ Sando is or will be the best of them all.
Smart kid, does his job (very well) and most important, keeps his mouth shut.
He'll have his own boat before long.
I sat with him & Dave at a meeting, he's the same way in person.

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 05-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #131
Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
I sat with him & Dave at a meeting, he's the same way in person.
At one of the SBCHBA meetings, the two of them were all business.

I've seen pictures on Facebook of Kevin's new 37 Duffy.

With Preti and Paul H on facebook together the last few days I bet thats where he's going.

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #132
MakoMike

From the Gloucester Times

The finale of the hit reality television show “Wicked Tuna” starts Sunday night, May 5, on the National Geographic Channel with a two-part conclusion featuring an epic battle that will ultimately reveal the next champion bluefin tuna fisherman out of Gloucester waters on May 12.

Season two began with the introduction of a newcomer, Tyler McLaughlin, described as a cocky young captain, aboard the fishing vessel Pin Wheel. McLaughlin’s goal is to beat out last year’s champion, Gloucester’s Dave Carraro of the FV-Tuna.com, who fishes with Gloucester native Sandro Maniaci.

Carraro, Gloucester’s reigning bluefin champion, starts the last week of the fishing season with a $20,000 lead over the catch of the Pin Wheel.

“We’re basically in the last quarter of the Super Bowl and it’s a near tie score and we are both bringing out our A game. As of the last episode, we are up to 12 fish and ahead by about $17,000. The more he fishes, the more fish I will catch. It keeps you on your toes. If he’s not catching, then I will take a day or two off,” said Carraro.

Meanwhile, in a notable late-season effort, Paul Hebert, who was fired from the crew of FV-Tuna.com with five weeks left in the season, is a captain aboard the Lisa & Jake, and proves to be a formidable competitor. Hebert continues to approach his goal of catching $50,000 worth of bluefin.

In a telephone interview this week, Hebert said the highlight of his first day as captain of the Lisa & Jake was the quick results.

“I put one line in the water and hooked up — it didn’t even hit the bottom and I landed a 400-pounder,” he said. “Then I went out the next day and caught another 400-pound. It was crazy.”

As season two comes to a close, Capt. Dave Marciano continues to face mechanical calamities and short fish aboard the Hard Merchandise, yet he continues to bring in lucrative catches that keep him in the game. His goal is to earn money to support his family, with one of his three children in college.

Closer to shore are Capt. Bill Monte of the Bounty Hunter and Capt. Ralph Wilkins of the Odysea who vie for strong catches before the season closes.

The rivalry among the captains concludes in a “shocking and heart-pounding” finale, according to a show spokesman. The May 5 episode at 9 p.m. is titled “Time Bomb” and the May 12 concluding episode is titled “Endgame,” which will reveal the top-earning boat of the season. National Geographic Channel recently announced that it will film a season three of the hit show based in Gloucester.

For more information, visit Wicked Tuna | National Geographic Channel and follow on Twitter at https://twitter.com/NGC_PR and https://twitter.com/WickedTuna.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #133
Fly Rod

Good luck to them all regardless of feelings....they R riding high and some day the ride will end and it has already for one or two.....
Old 05-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #134
Typhoon

There are funny shots of Tyler with 3 fish on deck and he's bringing in 1 or 2 according to the show. They weren't heading in after one 80" fish.

The fish counts are so foolish.

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #135
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I find it interesting that there has been no film of them bleeding, gutting, or dressing the fish.... Also see the weighing done with both head on and no head.....
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #136
Raider Ronnie

Bounty Hunter caught a nice "Great White Blue shark"

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 05-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #137
Sashamy

That was a porbeagle
Sashamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 AM   #138
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashamy View Post
That was a porbeagle
I don't know Doug.
1st the wife is yapping "we got a great white shark.
Then I think I heard one of them call it a bluedog.
And the in the end the owner/captain just said "I don't know what it is but it sure is big"
Think maybe Scott the mate may have said Porbeagle at one point.

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 05-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #139
Rockport24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I find it interesting that there has been no film of them bleeding, gutting, or dressing the fish.... Also see the weighing done with both head on and no head.....
Yes! This is very odd, the other thing that is odd is that sometimes they do the tail cut on the boat, but then you see the buyer do it as well..
Old 05-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #140
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
Yes! This is very odd, the other thing that is odd is that sometimes they do the tail cut on the boat, but then you see the buyer do it as well..
And are all the guys on the truck buyers? Half of them look like kids, I assume they have no authority to actually judge the value of a fish.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #141
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

I don't watch the show but most likely The truck drivers are just that, but most guys who have been around these fish know a good one when they see it.
Reasons why some are headed, gutted, Iced, Wraped & well cared for and some are brought in whole.
If its catfood anyways, why bother.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #142
Rockport24

Anybody catch the last episode of the season last night? Tyler cleaned up, good for him, the dude can fish!

Really though, he grossed like $110K, probably will clear, what? $40? AND he's the high hook of the fleet! And what's up with the Bounty Hunter? those poor bastages just can't catch a break, only grossed like $5K all season, how the heck can that guy afford to keep that nice boat of his?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #143
Fly Rod

Paul was very impressive for the short time he was on his own without tuna.com....he would have been a contender if started out on own at beginning of season.....
Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #144
jasonsnova

heard paul has his own boat this year and 2 of the boats are dropping out...ralph and another (id guess the bounty hunter??)
jasonsnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #145
Jim in CT

Quote:
Anybody catch the last episode of the season last night? Tyler cleaned up, good for him, the dude can fish!

Really though, he grossed like $110K, probably will clear, what? $40? AND he's the high hook of the fleet! And what's up with the Bounty Hunter? those poor bastages just can't catch a break, only grossed like $5K all season, how the heck can that guy afford to keep that nice boat of his?
"AND he's the high hook of the fleet!"

I heard that Tyler's Dad owns Mayflower Moving, a massive moving comoany. And I don't htink he's the king of the fleet, just of the guys on this show. A tackle shop/charter captain in CT said there are guys up there who catch a whole lot more fish than these guys, who were chosen for their ability to get ratings. No idea if that's true, just what I heard.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #146
Fly Rod

Yes there R others that U do not hear about that do better sometimes...a boat by the name of Mystic Lady does very well and would put some others to shame....in tuna fishing one year U R king another year U R a pauper.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #147
buckmanjr

Quote:

they all caught a lot more fish than the show gets on film. even the bounty hunter caught more than they show. That whole leader board is for ratings.

HOTREELS
buckmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #148
MakoMike

I heard that they are looking for two new boats/crews to join the show for next season. The guys on the show are far from the high hooks of the fleet.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #149
Raider Ronnie

High hooks (100% commercial guys) wouldn't want anything to do with it unless they are sell outs or looking for the publicity to sell charters and t shirts.

QUOTE=MakoMike;998847]I heard that they are looking for two new boats/crews to join the show for next season. The guys on the show are far from the high hooks of the fleet.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Raider Ronnie; 05-15-2013 at 11:28 AM..

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 05-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #150
fishonnelsons

Ralph from the Odysea came into the tackle shop a few weeks ago and dropped off a bunch of brochures for his Charter business. (I wasn't here, my nephew was at the shop). He asked if he could leave them here for people who come in looking for charters.

Now, we do charters, over 150 of them last year, and granted 95% of them bass/blues, but we do tuna charters as well. He's got a "Wicked Tuna" trip for $1800, then a full-day for $1500, half day stripers/blues etc for $800 and a two hour sunset cruise for $300.

My feel is Ralph should do what he can to ride this wave, and maybe his tuna trips are big time and really don't compete with me, but the half day and sunset thing are a direct competition.

Our compromise will be we'll hold the brochures behind the counter, if people bring up the show, and seem wanting to drop those dollars, we'll hook them up with Ralph. If they want bass and blues and maybe some "smaller" tuna, they are ours!!
fishonnelsons is offline   Reply With Quote