Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Beer & Beverage

Beer & Beverage Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Your First Legal Beer?

Where did you have it?? I was in Virginia Beach and I was 19 years old....legal to drink in Virginia but not Mass at the time! I had it in a small bar that was on the pier there! Not sure if that pier still exsts??

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
BigBo

I don't remember my first LEGAL beer. I was being served at the Cape Cod Cafe in Brockton at 16. The legal drinking age was 18 then.
I would always volunteer to go pick up the family pizza's and have one or two while waiting. Come to think of it, that may be where I had my first legal beer because I kind of remember asking the bartender for a free beer for my 18th birthday. He was pissed but had a good laugh. I enlisted in the Army the following week.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
iamskippy

Montreal at a " gentleman's club " was called Molson XXX
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure my first legal beer was also at the same place as my first illegal beer, the Cask'n'Flagon on Hunntington Ave at Northeastern University. I was 17, didn't turn 18 until Dec. and my college ID got me in back then. My last legal beer before they raised the drinking age to 20 1 month after I was legal and it was not grandfathered, was in Abington at the bowling alley on Rt 18 by the High School. It's been so long I forget, was it named squires loft or something, the bowling alley was timber lanes I think.
man I'm old
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Yeah Bruce its still there! I was grandfathered when it went to 21....I was 20 and made the cut!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Saltheart

I was 19 when they dropped the drinking age from 21 to 18 so suddenly , I was legal. We went down to the Hillside Cafe in Cumberland and drank pitchers of Bud. These were the nice big pitchers too , not the 6 inch tall ones you see today. That was a big night as growing up occasions go.

I think a pitcher of Bud was about $2 or $3.

The local drinking near my home was not a big factor as my parents were not cool about drinking too much. However the 18 year drinking age resulted in a huge increase in the frequency of drinking in college. Everyone in college , including the girls were suddenly able to drink. The school pub went from 100 square feet to about 3000 square feet and it was an almost every night affair. 25 cent bottles of Miller lasted for about a year (many times drafts were Slimey Dimeys--10cents for 12 OZ ) . A room full of hundreds of girls your age and 25 cent bottled beers for everyone. Man those were the days!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Bad Canstadtter Volksfest, Stuttgart, Germany, September 1983, I was 15, snuck out and went to the fest against father's permission - got grounded. First of many groundings after drinking legally.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

I went out and bought a case of Genesse the day I turned 21, why.. because I could.

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Rockfish9

...P.B.R.. Fort Rucker Alabama...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Coors (imported from Wyoming as it was only available in the Rocky Mountain states) @ISU. My roommate would bring back 10 cases from his deer hunting forays to WY.

Note that the legal drinking age was 18, I was 20 or 21 as back then I HATED beer! I remedied that situation quickly and now BOTTOMS UP!

Last edited by PRBuzz; 02-22-2011 at 12:38 PM..

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
spence

Pretty sure mine would have been at 12:05AM on Welch Avenue in Ames and it was probably a Long Island Ice Tea

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Pretty sure mine would have been at 12:05AM on Welch Avenue in Ames and it was probably a Long Island Ice Tea

-spence
Since the thread is 1st beer: did you down a beer before or after the LIIT?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Since the thread is 1st beer: did you down a beer before or after the LIIT?
It's more than likely there was beer drank before, although I can't say if it would have been between midnight and going out for the evening. After? Hmmm, quite possibly.

All I can say is thank god all we had were basic American lagers back then.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
blondterror

Bottle of Bud at a small village bar in Pound Ridge, NY where drinking age was 18 ..I was living in CT and the legal age was 21

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

More than Likely....though I really can't remember, it was a San Miguel.

I turned 21 in Cadiz Spain and that was the beer of choice there back then.

I remember drinking a lot of Rum that night too....me and a buddy had a room that overlooked a Topless beach....$16 a night. we sat on the balcony during the day relaxing, enjoying the sights, and drinking rum and cokes....then hit the bars when it got dark.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I'm pretty sure my first legal beer was also at the same place as my first illegal beer, the Cask'n'Flagon on Hunntington Ave at Northeastern University. I was 17, didn't turn 18 until Dec. and my college ID got me in back then. My last legal beer before they raised the drinking age to 20 1 month after I was legal and it was not grandfathered, was in Abington at the bowling alley on Rt 18 by the High School. It's been so long I forget, was it named squires loft or something, the bowling alley was timber lanes I think.
man I'm old
You're right about the Squires Loft at Timber Lanes. I'm pretty sure it's still there. Me and my buddies used to go there with fake ID's when we were 19 or 20 and bowl and drink on Sunday nights during the summer.

I used to get served at The Lincoln in Brockton when I was 20 without an ID. That place was pretty scary, but we were too stupid to realize it at the time.

I'm pretty sure my first legal beer was at the Piccadilly Filly in Salem or the Porthole in Lynn. I know I was at both places the night of my 21st b-day, but can't remember in what order. I remember Rufus the bouncer at the Filly being pissed at me because I had been going in there for over a year and drinking before I turned 21.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I'm pretty sure my first legal beer was at the Piccadilly Filly in Salem or the Porthole in Lynn.
Spent Many a night at the Pisshole......I used to frequent all the dive bars in Lynn.

Crystal Grill in Lynn would serve you as long as you had a pulse.

Lynn was an Underage Drinkers Paradise.....I remember spending New Years Eve when I was 16 at the Charlie Horse on the Lynnway.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Mine would have been at a bar in Killington that I can't remember the name of, long gone now. I think it is now the inn of six mountains? I had been drinking there since the beginning of the ski season anyways.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote