Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 09-29-2002, 03:33 AM   #1
thill

Thumbs up Spiral Wrapped conventional rods

They look unusual, but they sure perform!

VERY happy, wish I'd done it long ago. I have to agree with the buzz about them. Using the lightweight, single-foot guides up at the tip really makes the tip noticably lighter, and more responsive. Because the line is pulling down on the guides, they don't collapse like cheap single-foot guides on regular conventionals.

I've also converted a factory rod to spiral wrapping, and it is surprising how much better it feels! http://www.purespeed.com/personal/tonyhill/twist1.jpg

I go with the Straight-Line method. First guide approx 45 degrees, then 90, 135 and 180. From there, transition down to the #8 single foot guides, and the #8 Alconite tip.

Casting distance is not affected, but the weight reduction in the tip, line control, fighting leverage and stability gains have me thinking I'm going to convert all of my favorite rods to spiral wrapping eventually.

Anyone else a fan of spiral wrapping?

TH

Good fishing to you!
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 04:39 PM   #2
MikeP57

Never saw that before, I've heard of Spiral Wrapes but did'nt know what it was. I'd like to know more about it. Like how do you set the spine up ?
mikeP57
PS Hit the Blues heavy sat. I was using a lite convensional set up,and my buddys where using meat rods.It was not fair to them having to wait while I fought my fish in so i'm building a heavy rod this winter for live bait (Bunker) and big blues.
MikeP57
MikeP57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 06:35 PM   #3
thill

Mike,

I wrote a long, detailed response, but my computer locked up!

Summary:

Because guides are on the bottom, they pull the rod down, no matter where the spine is. So they will never want to twist. Extremely stable.

Due to line pulling down, you only need single foot guides for surprisingly heavy rods. The one in the pic is using #8 fly guides out through the tip, yet is spooled with 40# braid. On a regular rod those guides would be TRASH.

Yet, on this rod, they make it much lighter, and yet more powerful.

Check www.rodbuilding.org They are the experts. Do a search first, and you will find VOLUMES of information and testimonials.

Spiral rods are good stuff. I'm 100% convinced, and will not be going back.

Good luck!

TH

Good fishing to you!
Old 10-02-2002, 01:18 PM   #4
Saltheart

I asked Al Goldberg about the spine on spiral wraps. He said put it on the top or the 0 axis as the guides are described in the lay out. Thill is right that since the guides are on the bottom at the tip , the rod will be stable but it makes sense to always put the spine opposite the applied force while fighting the fish.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 09:35 PM   #5
thill

There is a lot of debate about the subject of where to put the spine. Some want the spine on the bottom, some want it at the top.

And some people hold conventional rods at an angle when fighting fish, so they put the spine at that particular angle, calling it "truly" custom.

Me, I spine mine just like a spinning rod. So that the stiffest side is fighting the fish. "Wrong" by normal conventional standards, but these aren't normal conventional rods.

I think you can't really go TOO wrong, no matter how you choose, thanks to the design. It just depends on what you are trying to achieve.

TH
Old 10-22-2002, 10:09 AM   #6
Fishaddict
Hi..I'm Bob and I have an addiction

Spiral wrap convert

Finished my first rod a couple of weeks ago. Wrapped it in the same straight line spiral wrap method you used... Absolutly love it!!!.. No more reel twist when fighting a fish.. As far as the spine goes, I put mine on the 180 for stability and casting proformance. Got several blanks under the bed just waiting to be wrapped, all will be done in sprial.. "I'm a convert"

Last edited by Fishaddict; 10-22-2002 at 10:12 AM..
Fishaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 06:49 PM   #7
thill

Congrats on the first spiral wrap. Great performers. I'm hooked, too.

TH
Old 10-25-2002, 09:19 AM   #8
jettyjockey18
Ban Sluggos

i didn't know you could spiral wrap a trout rod...
jettyjockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 01:21 PM   #9
thill

JJ, you are one of the FEW guys that would call that stick a trout rod! Ha ha.

Are you going to come south this winter?

TH

Good fishing to you!
Old 10-25-2002, 02:02 PM   #10
jettyjockey18
Ban Sluggos

negative...the wife says i do too much fishing up here...i was hopin to see you back up here this fall...i know your june trip was pretty unrewarding, we had a pretty wild couple of weeks in the beginning of october... (my favorite rip gave up around 20 fish in the mid 30 lb range in one week period)...
jettyjockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 03:03 PM   #11
thill

I only get one trip like that per year. I came up in June instead of the last week of Sep. because everyone said it was "a sure bet."

You guys have been torturing me with the fish tales ever since, but payback is coming...

Is that a cold north east wind I hear outside?!?
Heh heh heh heh...

Better catch while you can!

TH

Good fishing to you!
Old 10-26-2002, 09:29 AM   #12
Fishaddict
Hi..I'm Bob and I have an addiction

Quote:
Originally posted by jettyjockey18
i didn't know you could spiral wrap a trout rod...
Ouch!!!!! You wound me.....
Guess I'll just have to work my way up to "telephone pole" statuss like the rest of the jig crew by next spring

Todd, you going down sunday morning??
Fishaddict is offline   Reply With Quote