Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 11-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

The Allman Brothers

Man, I borrowed a bunch of CD's from a friend and among them was The Allman's 'Hittin' the Note' - I thought it was a new release but it was put out in 2003 - it's all I've been listening to since I got it last week -

It's some of the best I've heard from them - rivals 'Eat a Peach' IMO -

Daaayuuummm...makes me wanna twist one and grab a case like the old days....

BTW, any of you musicologists know what 'Eat a Peach' refers to?

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
vagine
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Duane Allman hit a Peach truck on his motorcycle and was killed. It was the last album he played on.

Thanks for the tip Chuck....gonna check that one out!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Don't you guys ever hit the internet for an answer

http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/eatpeach.asp

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Yup, do yerself a favor

Actually I'm listening to it right now -

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Some people don't need to google! Beat ya Kevin!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
jim sylvester
<><><><><><><>

chuck

can you burn it for me?

i'll send you a live allmans disc in return
jim sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Reelecstasy got it first -

I had heard the story on Duane's death but it is about yodeling in the tunnel of love...

Ooops....I'm gonna get reported for that one

Old 11-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I think you are mistaken Chuck!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim sylvester View Post
chuck

can you burn it for me?

i'll send you a live allmans disc in return
You got it, Jim

I'll let ya know when it's done -

Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Hmmmm...maybe the po-lice ain't found this place yet....

Old 11-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free

On another Allman Bros note..
I saw them open for Dave Matthews Band down in Hotlanta recently, still amazing to see them play...
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Yeah, if I win the lottery, they're definitely gonna be the headliners at the party....

Old 11-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #14
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Duane Allman hit a Peach truck on his motorcycle and was killed. It was the last album he played on.

Thanks for the tip Chuck....gonna check that one out!
I thought it was a Macon city bus--or was that Berry Oakley?

There's a remixed "Live at the Fillmore East" album out, a double CD with all of the live cuts from "Eat a Peach" on it, supposedly all in the order they were actually played. Segues right into Mountain Jam at the end of Whipping Post on disc 2. Some throwaway studio piece is included at the end.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Angler View Post
Reelecstasy got it first -

I had heard the story on Duane's death but it is about yodeling in the tunnel of love...

Ooops....I'm gonna get reported for that one
Quote:

Your both Mistaken...did you read the post I put up.

It ain't about "talking to the little man in the boat" or Duane hitting a Peach Truck.

"Alas, the real answer is not quite so literary. The title is an allusion to a statement Duane Allman once made during a magazine interview:

The myth was that the band used the title because Duane had crashed into a peach truck when he died; in truth, it came from one of Duane's throwaway lines in an interview. "How are you helping the revolution?" Ellen Mandel of Good Times Magazine had asked him. "I'm hitting a lick for peace," Duane responded. "And every time I'm in Georgia, I eat a peach for peace."

This explanation is supported by the album's back cover, which features a drawing of a railroad flatcar carrying an enormous watermelon, with the words "EAT A PEACH FOR PEACE" appearing along the top curve of the melon."

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 11-25-2008 at 11:16 AM..

Old 11-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Berry Oakley hit the bus...Duane hit the hook/chain on a Flatbed truck w/ a crane

Old 11-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #17
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Berry Oakley hit the bus...Duane hit the hook/chain on a Flatbed truck w/ a crane
Thanks for posting the link, TDF. Interesting read. I couldn't believe that Oakley was actually up and walking around declining treatment after hitting the bus. If it happened today, he may have been saved.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #18
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

If you are a fan of the A. Bros. Band don't overlook these guys. They had many former members. A top notch band headed by Chuck Leavell. I saw them front row back in the day at the Paradise and I still remember the show, awesome. All their albums are fantastic and are as good as any A. B. B. album. Unfortunately most of my stuff is on vinyl but I have located a lot on Limewire.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #19
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Another guy I have to give a heads up to if you like the A. B. sound is Les Dudek. He played on a few Allman B. albums with his guitar work. He plays a great slide with a sound similar to Duane. He also did a lot of work with Boz Skaggs. Look him up and enjoy some really great sound. Both albums below are fantastic. BTW he was born in Quonset Point,R.I.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 11-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
There's a remixed "Live at the Fillmore East" album out, a double CD with all of the live cuts from "Eat a Peach" on it, supposedly all in the order they were actually played. Segues right into Mountain Jam at the end of Whipping Post on disc 2. Some throwaway studio piece is included at the end.
I don't know...
I'll send Tautog01 in...
his post count is sure to go up if he ever sees this forum...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #21
beaver

Saw them this summer. Greg Allman, Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, and others are still pretty impressive. Derek Trucks can really shred. Saw him play with Clapton a few years back and apparently they didn't let him out of his shell then. He ripped it with the Allmans. Great show. Wish it was a little longer, but then again most of the guys were in their 60s.
beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:31 AM   #22
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
If you are a fan of the A. Bros. Band don't overlook these guys. They had many former members. A top notch band headed by Chuck Leavell. I saw them front row back in the day at the Paradise and I still remember the show, awesome. All their albums are fantastic and are as good as any A. B. B. album. Unfortunately most of my stuff is on vinyl but I have located a lot on Limewire.
Chuck Leavell and Sea Level - good stuff

Yup, got some of that on vinyl too...

Thanks, gotta check out Les Dudek - can't believe anyone famous was actually born in Quonset Point ...not that there's anything wrong with that, just never met anyone who said they were from there -

Old 11-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #23
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

If you need some I can burn some for you. He is quite the player. Played on the Bros. and Sisters album. Chuck Leavell did also. Les D. played the lead on Rambling Man believe it or not and he also played acoustic on Jessica. Probably didn't think #^&#^&#^&#^&ey was up to it maybe after the death of the other guitarists, so they bought in a ringer for this album I guess.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #24
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
If you need some I can burn some for you. He is quite the player. Played on the Bros. and Sisters album. Chuck Leavell did also. Les D. played the lead on Rambling Man believe it or not and he also played acoustic on Jessica. Probably didn't think #^&#^&#^&#^&ey was up to it maybe after the death of the other guitarists, so they bought in a ringer for this album I guess.
That would be great - don't know what you'd like to swap for it, let me know

I've been thinking of picking up a turntable for converting some vinyl to digital files - any suggestions, Paul?

Old 11-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #25
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I just saw a set up at BJ's last week. You get the turntable and all the stuff to hook it to your Computer for like 75 bucks. I am sure it isn't the best you can buy but it might be good enough. I almost bought it. I've got several hundred albums but have duplicated most of them buying CD's and using several illegal downloading sites over the years. I have a fellow member supposedly going to do just that. I gave him some albums a while ago but have not heard from him in quite a while. He doesn't post here much anymore. Canalman, did I say that. Maybe he will read this post and let me know how it is coming or just say Hi. Guilt may work. Sorry Dave.