Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 07-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

Almost ready

I have installed the transducer and lights, and got a auto/manual pfd, whistle, flare gun with flares, paddle (for reverse),anchor (I still need to rig a trolley system though), livewell is almost finished (converting a cooler), paddle, tethers, carts.
I was considering adding the Hummingbird gps antenna Hummingbird offers for the Matrix 17 (capable of linking with other devices like the smart cast or gps, maybe more) but I think I'll either get a chart plotter and link the 2 units or maybe a handheld that I can link to the fish finder or wait and get a all in one.

I still need to get a gps or at least a compass, vhf ( I have my older handheld but the battery only last about 2 hours), livewell pump, hardware for anchor trolley.
Transducer well.jpgAll wood treated with Minwax wood hardner to waterproof, I also empty the water out after use.

100_2077.jpg
light mount.jpg Front light mounted after removing the Hobie emblem(I saved the emblem to cover the hole) and the rear light is mounted to the rudder inspection cover.

I think I will rig up a tether for the cart so I can remove it once in the water using a boat hook so I don't have to be in the water to get the cart after launch. I also had one turbo fin almost come completely off so I installed one of the new turbo fins and will carry the other new fin for emergencies.

What have I forgotten?(especially tools to keep onboard)
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
O.D. Mike

Looking good Ed!!!!

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Looks awesome. Careful with those auto-pfds. I've taken some good splashes in my yak that I'd bet could set one off.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
ecduzitgood
time to go

I made sure it could be converted to either manual or automatic, the sales person thought I had three heads when I told him I wanted the choice. Gave me the whole song and dance about liability to the manufacturer, I read the manual and found he was wrong (perhap the A/M in the name was a clue, it's an A/M24). Check before you purchase, mine had the manual cap in a pocket within the vest specifically for the caps. I also purchased the rearming kit so when I'm rock hoping I can change it to automatic and rearm it if used. PFD was on sale bass pro for $99, I liked the external sunglasses pocket and found the neoprene used in the back neck area more comfortable than other vest, I only wish it had a little more reflective fabric (only the white stripes are reflective).
PFD.jpg

PFD2.jpg

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 07-26-2011 at 08:37 PM..
Old 07-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
frogman_ch

Looks good, Ecduzitgood

I do need to comment on one thing. You do not need or should have a green/red bow light on a kayak. The only light you need to be leagal is a white light that is visible for 360* even a hand held flashlight is good enough.
frogman_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman_ch View Post
Looks good, Ecduzitgood

I do need to comment on one thing. You do not need or should have a green/red bow light on a kayak. The only light you need to be leagal is a white light that is visible for 360* even a hand held flashlight is good enough.
Does this mean I should not have the bow light, I thought I was doing the right thing being more visible at night. Should I remove the light?
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
BigBo

I think the concern is that at night, other boaters will think you are a power boat and underway and able to make quick avoidance measures based on your degree of approach. A 360* white light only is typically reserved for boats at anchor and therefore powerboats will avoid you with greater caution.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
Check before you purchase, mine had the manual cap in a pocket within the vest specifically for the caps. I also purchased the rearming kit so when I'm rock hoping I can change it to automatic and rearm it if used. PFD was on sale bass pro for $99, I liked the external sunglasses pocket and found the neoprene used in the back neck area more comfortable than other vest, I only wish it had a little more reflective fabric (only the white stripes are reflective).
Now that's a pretty cool vest for a really nice price. Good call.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
I think the concern is that at night, other boaters will think you are a power boat and underway and able to make quick avoidance measures based on your degree of approach. A 360* white light only is typically reserved for boats at anchor and therefore powerboats will avoid you with greater caution.
this is exactly what I have heard from power boaters, I would take the thing off and just go with the white light on the stern. Looks like a sweet set up you got there, you have pretty much covered everything....
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote