Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 10-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #31
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
You think he should judge his perspective on the status of the fishery based on a 7 mile stretch of water on a select number of days? I think we went down a similar road 30 years ago.
Closer to 40, now.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #32
SAUERKRAUT
surfwalker

Quote:
You think he should judge his perspective on the status of the fishery based on a 7 mile stretch of water on a select number of days? I think we went down a similar road 30 years ago.
I will add my "miles stretch of water and a select number of days", to the consensus that this fishery is stressed and over harvested, at a minimum.

Furthermore, I bet a thousand other hard and experienced fishermen could add their water, and their "select number of days" to the consensus.

May I offer that the MV Derby is probably an unwilling contributer to the consensus also:
1. Largest beach bass for the Derby to 10/10/17: 29 lbs. Are you
kidding?
2. Largest daily beach bass for yesterday, 10/10/17: 13 lbs. Are you
kidding?

This fishery needs to be managed as a sport fishery...NOT as a commercial fishery. When is the MV Derby going to eliminate the "kill" Daily Prize for striped bass?

Last edited by SAUERKRAUT; 10-11-2017 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
SAUERKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:54 PM   #33
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUERKRAUT View Post
I will add my "miles stretch of water and a select number of days", to the consensus that this fishery is stressed and over harvested, at a minimum.

Furthermore, I bet a thousand other hard and experienced fishermen could add their water, and their "select number of days" to the consensus.

May I offer that the MV Derby is probably an unwilling contributer to the consensus also:
1. Largest beach bass for the Derby to 10/10/17: 29 lbs. Are you
kidding?
2. Largest daily beach bass for yesterday, 10/10/17: 13 lbs. Are
kidding?

This fishery needs to be managed as a sport fishery...NOT as a commercial fishery. When is the MV Derby going to eliminate the "kill" Daily Prize for striped bass?
The answer is they won't. There's too much money involved with the fishermen visiting the Island during the Derby. C&R would reduce those numbers to a fraction of what they are.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #34
puppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
The answer is they won't. There's too much money involved with the fishermen visiting the Island during the Derby. C&R would reduce those numbers to a fraction of what they are.
Why? Are the fisherman in the tournament focused on meat or the competition and prizes?

I have never entered the tournament, but it seems to me the motivation is the competition itself. The prize money...etc. I guess it can be argued that it is harder to run a catch and release that is not partially based on the honor system, but even the kill tourneys suffer from cheating.
puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #35
l.i.fish.in.vt

Too bad BO ,but one less guy fishing isn't a bad thing.my fishing expierence isn't dictated by how many or how big,but did i enjoy myself,not many days that i can say that i fished and didn't have a good day.for myself the number of fish i catch hasn't changed much over the last 20 years,the size has .get use to small fish we have a few more years left before we can eat them
l.i.fish.in.vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #36
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.i.fish.in.vt View Post
get use to small fish we have a few more years left before we can eat them
And after that? Six of last eight Chesapeake yoy were below average and five of them way below. Better hope some 2011 and 2015 fish get to be big breeders or it isn't gonna be good.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #37
l.i.fish.in.vt

after that i will be more than likely 6 feet under
Old 10-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #38
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Hi John
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #39
greenmeanie

I am guessing we should base it off of a couple of you guys not catching fish?

Quote:
greenmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #40
RickBomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Trailer, trailer, trailer
Chase anything that swims (smaller than your boat ) :-)
The catch is a bonus for a day on the water in a new or old spot IMO
Yup, Ray and I would go fishing in a puddle if we had the tackle. Being out there is what is really the fun part.

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #41
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
I am guessing we should base it off of a couple of you guys not catching fish?
I think you are confused about who initiated that line of thinking.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #42
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.i.fish.in.vt View Post
after that i will be more than likely 6 feet under
I am thinking ahead for my kids, too.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #43
l.i.fish.in.vt

unfortunetly mother natures plans are differant then ours
Old 10-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #44
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke41 View Post
I fish primarily around Newport, Brenton Reef around Jamestown and off of Ocean Drive, Seal Rock etc. In the early 2000's I could always find fish doing a little spot hopping. The bay was full of acres and acres of blitzing bluefish. Over the years it has been more difficult to find stripers and most of the blues I see are smaller. Have not seen those types of huge blitz's in 10 years at least. Fishing in the fall we have had some excellent days fishing albies. A couple of times I found mixed schools of allies, bonito and stripers. Those days will go down as the best fishing I have ever had. The bay does seem to be full of bunker and anchovies I figure that has got to bode well for the future. Whales and dolphins off of Narragansett Beach, must be a good sign. Holding on for the future. I will tell you this. I started treating stripers like the valuable game fish they are and releasing 100%. I feel better doing my small part. No judgement though. They do last good for sure.
Only small bait (small sand eels, bay anchovies) in the Lower Bay throughout the year now. No reason for big fish to hang around, except maybe that jumbo loner feeding on small tog. Come Fall, when the pogies do finally drop out of the Bays /estuaries, the biomass of big bass has already passed by.

Those fish that go ballistic for 3 weeks in the canal...that IS the fall run for MA and most of RI. Once those fish blast through it's a crap shoot where they'll make landfall again, if they even do. Only one push now and then you're targeting small pods of stragglers until the end. It was nice 10 years ago when you could count on at least 2-3 major pushes of fish

It does make for great albie fishing, though, but I want bass from the rocks...
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #45
Fish On

Send a message via Yahoo to Fish On
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
for many years ,,,,,,,,,I felt that there was only one fish in the sea ...the Striped Bass.
I was so wrong ..I,ve been having a ball catching a varity of fish ,if you adjust your gear . then you have a whole new ballgame of trying to figure out the habits & patterns of other fishes ....For me it have been a great learning & humbling experience ......IMO ............. don't let the whole fishing adventure be consumed by the STRIPER ><><

Great advice! Just curious, in your case does that include bluefish? ;-)
Fish On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #46
Clammer

The fish gods have granted my fish wish ,,,,,,I can honestly say that I have not caught a 1/2 bLOOOOOOOfish this season ><><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:48 AM   #47
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
And after that? Six of last eight Chesapeake yoy were below average and five of them way below. Better hope some 2011 and 2015 fish get to be big breeders or it isn't gonna be good.
Interesting statistic from the Maryland DEM. This years YOY is the highest it has been in 64 years. It was 13.2

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:59 AM   #48
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Interesting statistic from the Maryland DEM. This years YOY is the highest it has been in 64 years. It was 13.2
No, I am guessing you read that wrong.64 year average is 11.7. 2017 came in at 13.2, which is slightly above the 64 year average. Good news for sure, but not the highest in 64 years. That was 1996 with around a 59.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #49
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
No, I am guessing you read that wrong.64 year average is 11.7. 2017 came in at 13.2, which is slightly above the 64 year average. Good news for sure, but not the highest in 64 years. That was 1996 with around a 59.
The great spawning years of the 1990s raised the YOY average from 8.0 to 12.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #50
bogey

Don't know about boats but the surf has been going down for at least 10 years, I've talked to fisherman from four states, NY, CT, RI, & MD and all agree. It's not one or two places gone bad but a steady decline everywhere.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote