Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump Back on the Campaign Trial

Like doctor jeckel and mr hyde, he follows up a relatively positive speech, by going back to what he does best. Stating the truth according to Trump and continuing his one step forward and two steps backwards governing practice, hope the secrect service detail gets paid.

Definitely a pattern, when he feels threatened and defensive, it's time for a rally and back to the campaign trail where he feels more at home.

Mitch appears to be the next one in his cross hairs, but what I find more disturbing then the rally speach is Clappers comments on Trump. Mirrors my personal opinion of Trump, but it's scary to hear it from a man of his credentials.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
buckman

Clapper scares me more then Trump . And how about those peaceful protesters outside .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Protesters don't have the nuclear codes and Clapper isn't the only one concerned about Trumps fitness.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Clapper scares me more then Trump . And how about those peaceful protesters outside .
Clapper has been seen as a good senior intel officer, and well regarded by some intel types I know.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Clapper has been seen as a good senior intel officer, and well regarded by some intel types I know.
Now he's CNNs favorite guest . If you dislike Trump anything goes . It's the new norm
Old 08-24-2017, 04:05 AM   #6
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Like doctor jeckel and mr hyde, he follows up a relatively positive speech, by going back to what he does best. Stating the truth according to Trump and continuing his one step forward and two steps backwards governing practice, hope the secrect service detail gets paid.

Definitely a pattern, when he feels threatened and defensive, it's time for a rally and back to the campaign trail where he feels more at home.

Mitch appears to be the next one in his cross hairs, but what I find more disturbing then the rally speach is Clappers comments on Trump. Mirrors my personal opinion of Trump, but it's scary to hear it from a man of his credentials.

So lets Review the media is Fake ( they dont love America ) I'll shut down the Government (if I dont get what I want ) the 2 sitting Republicans gotta go ( they dont bow to me as they should ) pardon ex-Sheriff Arpaio ( made in my image ) and change the senate rules
(so i can get what I want )

where have we seen this done Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro Shocking
Old 08-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #7
Nebe

But he's making America great again. Can't you see it? America first!!! Buy Trump steaks!
Old 08-24-2017, 06:18 AM   #8
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The Afgan speech was clearly written by his advisers, because they realized this is what Americans need to hear and Trump was almost falling asleep reading it knowing that's not how he wants to handle that speech.

Put him in a rally and the real Trump comes flying to the forefront as it has every time he isn't given a scripted text to read. It's the real Trump I find so scary and it's also disturbing to guess how our allies and enemies view us. Look how he reacts to media, his own party members voting their conscience or his own cabinet members taking issue with something he says or does; can you imagaine if we have a real dangerous global issue come up that requires a very clear head?

Still campaigning, still bitching about polls, still whining about crowd numbers, still thin skinned, still the bully and still anything but presidential. Just fing grow a pair buddy and as our Bill Belicheck would advise; just do your job.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
detbuch

Constantly being in campaign mode is not peculiar to Trump. His predecessor was criticized doing so. The two Presidents before that weren't averse to it, especially Bill Clinton. So called "strong" Presidents of the past did it. Both Roosevelt's, whom everyone describes as being "great" did it in terms of the more limited media outlets available to them at the time. And they bitched, and whined, threatened, and BULLIED. FDR threatened to add 9 more judges (of his choice, of course) to SCOTUS if the Court kept blocking his unconstitutional initiatives. Many Presidents of the past gave pardons that some considered controversial. Most have had problems and quarrels with Congress, even those Representatives and Senators of their own party.

I get that a lot of folks just don't like Trump, either as a person, or as a politician in general, certainly not as President. But that, as well as the above criticisms, are, as Yogi Berra would say, deja vous all over again. Maybe the hate for him (gee, I thought hate was supposed to be a bad thing by those who hate him) seems more intense than hate for Presidents of the past because there is a greater loss of journalistic objectivity (as has been happening over the last decade or two, but similar to the Press at the time of the founding) and the constant ginning up of its anti-Trumpism which all, intentionally, spills over into public opinion.

But "great" Presidents of the past were hated and vilified. A lot of popular history glosses over that and focusses on the supposed greatness. I can cite Reagan as a recent example, but there are many more.

I don't know what the standard is for being "presidential." Trump is, by his personality, different from other Presidents. But all Presidents were individually different. It's probably the toughest job in the world. But the notion that he is quirky, supposedly immoral (really?, compared to past, even "great," ones), a supposed bully (really? compared to some of the supposedly "great" ones of the past), means that he is not doing his job appears to me as a disconnect. He appears to me to be working very hard at his job. One of the most important aspects of that job is to earnestly advocate (some call it bullying). He is constantly advocating. That one may not like what he is advocating for does not make his advocacy null and void, make it a dereliction and absence of duty. Also he is making many changes in regulatory law which is in his purview to do. He is attending to military matters which are in his purview to do. He is negotiating international trade matters, attending to immigration problems, which are in his purview to do. But the many other things he advocates for but are not in his purview to accomplish, are being blocked or stalled by those who have the actual power to legislate.

I understand and expect that every President will be hated and scorned for various reasons. Some valid, most probably not. But for not being "presidential" seems pointless to me. If being "presidential" means acting like other Presidents of the past, then what is the standard if they all had their unique personalities and personal ways of doing their job. And it is more than pointless if he actually acts like many of the supposed "great" ones.