Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 07-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
Diggin Jiggin

suggestions for Front porch decking

I'm looking for suggestions for front porch decking. I'd prefer to go with natural wood as I hate the plastic/decking stuff but also looking to not do much maintenance on it (staining every couple years would be ok but I dont want to sand/paint it every other year).

Any suggestions ?
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Rmarsh

Ipe ...trade name is Ironwood...very hard, rot resistant.
Dartmouth Building Supply is where I get it.
I used some in full 1" thickness to build a swim step.

I have also used 3/4" thick with hidden fasteners for porches and decks and it holds up really well..

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:06 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
trevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Ipe ...trade name is Ironwood...very hard, rot resistant.
Dartmouth Building Supply is where I get it.
I used some in full 1" thickness to build a swim step.

I have also used 3/4" thick with hidden fasteners for porches and decks and it holds up really well..
unless you have the patience of a nun, stay away from that stuff. It is unbearable to work with. A classic look would be sqr edge fir decking, or go with mahogany decking.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
Raven

built a wrap around porch on the back of this guys
house to dress it up.... using fir for the decking
stained with clear sealer after sanding with 300.

the owner said it was so beautiful that it was the
reason the house sold so fast and at a great price.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
Guppy
User

Ipe is bullet proof, 100 years from now the house will be gone and the porch will still be there ! 😀

But for that authentic old school look (IMO) I'd say 1x4 virtual grn fir with a good clear uv blocker,,, it will gray up in time, not the same look as paint but a lot less upkeep.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevier View Post
unless you have the patience of a nun, stay away from that stuff. It is unbearable to work with. A classic look would be sqr edge fir decking, or go with mahogany decking.
I've never had any problems working with it.....just use sharp tools..... and don't ever try to drive a nail through it. I agree the fir looks nice but wont last anywhere near as long.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
spence

We did our deck in 5/4 mahogany (cambera?) with a Sikkens Cetol SRD finish and 10 years in it's still looking good. First few seasons it really soaks up the finish but it's at the most every other year since. Very unstable wood though, keep it out of the sun until finished and be sure to seal the end grain with wax.

Ipe seems to be a good choice as well but is harder to work with from what I've heard.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

say porch, so is under a roof? You say stain, so are you talking a solid color stain?
My preference would be mahogany. Either 1x4, or 5/4x6, square edged. I have been replacing my fir decking at my house with mahogany as it needs replacing. Use a solid gray stain on it here. Tighter grain with mahogany and you don't have to pick through the boards as much as fir, which, depending on the cut, is destined to open or lift when water gets in the grain.
Now ipe..... is a beotch to install. If through drilling for screwing, buy your drill bits by the case. As mentioned, sharp tools are a must. I have never seen a board of this species fail or rot. Only wood I know of that does not float.... Density is off the chart.
Pricing.... Mahogany and fir are close in price. Ipe is more expensive. Be sure to compare 1x against 5/4 after adjusting for linear footage needed. And don't forget to figure in fasteners, as their cost is not insignificant.
Got a pic?
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #9
trevier

ipe has a class a fire rating fyi. I have it on my front steps an hate it. I'm changing it to granite next year.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #10
Diggin Jiggin

Thanks guys, I ended up going with 1x4 mahogany. I don't mind putting a coat of finish on it however often I need to, I just don't want to get into the sand/paint cycle. This time around I'm trying to do things that will just be easier to do maintenance wise.

I dont think I will be in the house long enough to ever see the benefit of using IPE.

when I originally worked on the porch when we moved in 20-25 years ago it was rotten so i had rebuilt it with pressure treated which I could never get to hold paint, that was just a nightmare I finally gave up on, and its been an eye sore for the past 5 as I figured Id just replace it eventually (which is now I guess).
Old 07-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #11
Diggin Jiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
We did our deck in 5/4 mahogany (cambera?) with a Sikkens Cetol SRD finish and 10 years in it's still looking good. First few seasons it really soaks up the finish but it's at the most every other year since. Very unstable wood though, keep it out of the sun until finished and be sure to seal the end grain with wax.

Ipe seems to be a good choice as well but is harder to work with from what I've heard.
Spence when you said to seal the end grain with wax, is there a product you used would recommend for doing that ?
Old 07-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggin Jiggin View Post
Spence when you said to seal the end grain with wax, is there a product you used would recommend for doing that ?
I'm pretty sure I used Anchorseal but that's just because the local building supply place recommended it. I'd also consider a coat of whatever stain you plan to use before installation.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #13
trevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I'm pretty sure I used Anchorseal but that's just because the local building supply place recommended it. I'd also consider a coat of whatever stain you plan to use before installation.
yup, anchorseal it is,