Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

encased foil lures....how do I ...

I think I am going to attempt to make some offshore casting lures like the ones made by Ocean Lures and others. I have not destroyed one to see how it is made but there probably are a few tricks to making them.

There is a thick hard clear coat that covers what looks like a weighted wooden plug covered with some kind foil. The entire thing looks like it has the bar top coating on it. Ever see something like this or made something similar? Would love the recipe.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I screwed around with the foil once...make your plug like you would normally, then take a little of the spray craft glue and put on some kind of texture on the lure body (i.e. Thule, Netting) for the scales. Take the metallic tape they use for duct work and apply it to the body over the texture and work it in with your fingers by pressing firmly. Take a round piece of metal, a drill bit works good, and burnish the foil around the edges so its smoothed in to the wood. Now hit it with a coat of epoxy. after the epoxy dries you can paint over it with the transparent paints so the foil shows through. once you finish with the paint, apply another coat of epoxy and finish lure like normal.

here's a link to the one I screwed around with, not the greatest paint job but I did it more to screw around with the foiling than anything else.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ng-around.html

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Rowhunter

Hey Mr. Sandman, I've done quite a few foil covered plugs and they turn out nicely. The formula is just what you have stated, a wooden weighted plug with a foil covering,( I use self adhesive furnace foil) followed by a couple coats of E-tex. A couple different ways to get effects, one would be to cover the plug in a netting then foil to emboss the pattern. I foil first then lay a netting over and emboss the scale pattern. Another good tip is to sparingly use transparent paints to change the color of the foil. It is a good idea to use at least two coats of E-tex for a topcoat. Remember that the foil and extra coats of epoxy will add a little weight to your finished plug, so plan accordingly. Here are a few I have done a mac, a bunker and a pinfish. Good luck, Douglas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	52520   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_643.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	52521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	52522  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Good God those are beauties Douglas
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Places like micaels crafts and the like sell think foil backed plastic sheets used to wrap candy. These can be used to foil lures as well. Just spray a tax coat of adhesive then apply the foil and burnish as necessary. Another option is to cut half your shape in foil tape, along with some relief cuts in the pattern to allow for the curves of the lure you would then adhere the tape. Coat with epoxy. Sand down any edges where the tape sections meet on the belly and back. The. Spray a darker color over the back and a bright white over the belly etc. Transparent paints being careful not to cover over too much of your foiled or taped sections.

Good topic! I'm actually working on a stick bait that's geared for palegics. Master is out if maple then I'm moldin the rest out of smooth on plastics.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Mr. Sandman

Wow! both of those plugs are really beautiful.

I am going to give it a go. Etex is the hard clear coat I want to use right?
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Try adding a coat of Shieldz Clear, it's used to prep foil wallpaper for paint. It will help the epoxy stick to the foil--but it won't make it stick forever. But, as with any paint/coating, you're only as good as your weakest link... adding coats of epoxy will not make any difference once a deep enough scratch is made in the epoxy because it just won't stick to the slick surface of the foil.

-Dave

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I dug this document up...I got the info from a freshwater site...but this is some great info on how to do it...enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: doc How to Foil a Lure.doc (590.5 KB, 345 views)

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote