Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #61
striperking70

[QUOTE=Mike P;554056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post

His stats are as good as Aikman's. And he had a bigger impact on the game. The merger was agreed upon, but the structuring of the league wasn't settled. If the AFL hadn't shown it could compete with the big boys, the 9 AFL teams would have been scattered around the NFL divisions. The Pats wouldn't be playing in the AFC east--they'd be playing in the eastern division of the NFL, along with the Jets and Bills, joining the Giants, Eagles, Redskins, and whatever other original eastern division NFL team that would be left in that division. He allowed the AFL to retain its basic identity as the new AFC.

Just as an FYI--he threw for roughly the same number of yards, and slightly fewer TDs, as Stabler in a shorter career. Without a Warren Wells, or a Fred Bilitnikoff, or a Dave Casper to throw to. Don Maynard was a good receiver, but his other targets were guys like George Sauer Jr and Richard Caster. He never had a speed merchant WR to throw to. And he missed more than half of 4 seasons due to injuries. Imagine what he could have done with only one good knee, let alone two.

Aikman threw for over 5,000 more yards than Joe on a run oriented team. Aikman was also very accurate completing over 61% of his passes while Joe was around 50%. And I think Namath threw alot more INT's than TD's. Aikman is one of those guys who made the HOF on the fact that he has 3 rings.
striperking70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #62
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
SK70....now its a case where a guy has "too many" rings to be in the HOF???? Man o' man.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #63
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

So Aikman is in only because he has 3 rings but his stats suck?!??!

Rice would be in if he had won a championship?!?!? Which in turn to you means he has the numbers but no "WIN"?!?!?

I asked are you from NY?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #64
wrikerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperking70 View Post
If Rice was on a World Series championship team in his career he probably would be in the HOF.
Agreed, unfortunately it really does matter with voters.
wrikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #65
wrikerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
That is a most ridiculous statement.....again you do think winning a championship is what merits inclusion in the HOF! I am pretty much done with this conversation.....SK70 and Wrikerjr....you guys are New Yawkers ain't cha?
I am a yankees fan and not afraid to admit it. I do believe that rice deserves to be in the hall, without question. Problem is that you (or others not really sure) compare him to mantle william banks are just crazy or don't really have a clue.

winning championships really does matter in certain instances, it is one of many factors.

If your a power hitter (in the pre-steroid era) and you do not have 500 home runs than you are not automatically in on your numbers, other things weigh in on people's votes. Not saying its correct or fair, just the way it is. Sometimes its championships, sometimes is bieng a clutch player, sometimes if your an ass the voters can be an ass.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #66
wrikerjr

[QUOTE=Raider Ronnie;554025]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post

So that made him a hall of famer???
Yes
Old 01-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #67
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrikerjr View Post
I am a yankees fan and not afraid to admit it. I do believe that rice deserves to be in the hall, without question. Problem is that you (or others not really sure) compare him to mantle william banks are just crazy or don't really have a clue.

winning championships really does matter in certain instances, it is one of many factors.

If your a power hitter (in the pre-steroid era) and you do not have 500 home runs than you are not automatically in on your numbers, other things weigh in on people's votes. Not saying its correct or fair, just the way it is. Sometimes its championships, sometimes is bieng a clutch player, sometimes if your an ass the voters can be an ass.
Re-read my posts..."I" did not compare Rice to Williams, Banks or especially Mantle.....as I do not think they are comparable stats wise at all! Its apples and watermelons but I do think they all belong in the same fruit stand!

My comments on Williams, Banks was strictly in regards to SK70's comments about if they don't win, they don't belong in the HOF!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #68
wrikerjr

Quote:
Re-read my posts..."I" did not compare Rice to Williams, Banks or especially Mantle.....as I do not think they are comparable stats wise at all! Its apples and watermelons but I do think they all belong in the same fruit stand!

My comments on Williams, Banks was strictly in regards to SK70's comments about if they don't win, they don't belong in the HOF!
My bad. I agree they all belong in the hall!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #69
striperking70

Quote:

Don't go putting words in my mouth. I said some people are in because they won. That's just the way it is. I stated Rice doesn't belong in whether he won or not. But if he did win he would probably be in. What don't you understand?
Old 01-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #70
striperking70

Quote:
SK70....now its a case where a guy has "too many" rings to be in the HOF???? Man o' man.

Obviously you don't understand. You must be from Bahstan.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #71
ThomCat

[QUOTE=wrikerjr;554184]I am a yankees fan and not afraid to admit it. I do believe that rice deserves to be in the hall, without question. Problem is that you (or others not really sure) compare him to mantle william banks are just crazy or don't really have a clue.

You're a YANKEE FAN, get the farque outta here!!! Being a Sox fan myself, I undestand dissapointment. Not making it year after year will cause a bitterness and resentment that has to manifest itself somewhere. It doesn't make one a bad person!!! Okay, Last time, I, for one, never compared Rice to Mantle. Mantle was a much better all around ball player without question. I simply stated that a number of the offensive numbers were similar. As for the top of the all-time list of ballplayers there are only four: Ted Williams (lost 4 prime years to defending his country) Lou Gerig (career cut tragically short), Babe Ruth and Henry Aaron. All the rest are looking up and from a looooong way down. Period, end of story. Peace & Love ............ P.S. I love this %$%$%$%$e!!!

Catch'em up,
ThomCat
ThomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #72
wrikerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomCat View Post

You're a YANKEE FAN, get the farque outta here!!!
OK i will leave then.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #73
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
[QUOTE=Mike P;554056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post

His stats are as good as Aikman's. And he had a bigger impact on the game. The merger was agreed upon, but the structuring of the league wasn't settled. If the AFL hadn't shown it could compete with the big boys, the 9 AFL teams would have been scattered around the NFL divisions. The Pats wouldn't be playing in the AFC east--they'd be playing in the eastern division of the NFL, along with the Jets and Bills, joining the Giants, Eagles, Redskins, and whatever other original eastern division NFL team that would be left in that division. He allowed the AFL to retain its basic identity as the new AFC.

Just as an FYI--he threw for roughly the same number of yards, and slightly fewer TDs, as Stabler in a shorter career. Without a Warren Wells, or a Fred Bilitnikoff, or a Dave Casper to throw to. Don Maynard was a good receiver, but his other targets were guys like George Sauer Jr and Richard Caster. He never had a speed merchant WR to throw to. And he missed more than half of 4 seasons due to injuries. Imagine what he could have done with only one good knee, let alone two.

I don't think Aikman should have gone in also!
He's another one like Bob Griese who is in because of the teams success and a GREAT running game.
Both did more to not loose games and neither had to carry the team on their back!
My opinion,
The hall of fame should be for the greatest players, not pretty good players!

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #74
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

It's not the hall of pretty good as someone has said

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #75
wrikerjr

we will see how you guys feel when some of your pretty good pats are in the hall of fame, because they were on a dynasty.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #76
ThomCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrikerjr View Post
OK i will leave then.
You don't have to leave, man, I was just floored by the stealth with which you diguised your NY bitterness and Sox hatred. It's all good

Catch'em up,
ThomCat
ThomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #77
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomCat View Post
You don't have to leave, man, I was just floored by the stealth with which you diguised your NY bitterness and Sox hatred. It's all good
Funny thing--I'll bet you that Rice gets more support for Cooperstown from the NY media than from Boston's.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote