Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-23-2023, 08:06 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Get your tomatoes

Best I have ever been able to procure and grow in pots on our deck!

Go to QVC, Roberta's beefsteaks. They will send four plants ready to pot. We have always gotten at least 20lbs. per plant. My best gardening recommendation based on first hand experience. 4 for $30 shipped.

Look at their fertilizer too. Roberta's products have all been top notch in our experience.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:00 AM   #2
wdmso

I’ll look into these …. my problem with tomatoes I can’t harvest most of them till late September or October

Question Ross when do you order and plant yours . May?

Last edited by wdmso; 03-23-2023 at 09:13 AM..
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:04 AM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

We start harvesting late July when we have used their fertilizer.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:29 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Plant them as soon as you’re sure you won’t get a frost. Mine usually go in 2nd-3rd week of May, depending on what the forecast says. Unfortunately that’s the tomatoe life, nothing, nothing, nothing, BOOM 80lbs.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:46 PM   #5
Nebe

Cherokee purple is where it’s at
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 01:55 PM   #6
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

All my veggie waste goes into my mulch bin, it’s large 15x15ft and I turn it over several times a year with my mantis tiller, just after frost threat is over I pull it all mostly to one side. Tons of tomato plants grow from seeds from plum and Campari we eat all year from BJ’s and three families couldn’t touch what grows. I don’t bother thinning or stacking up, it’s a totally wild crop. Do like a couple pots of beefsteak, will look into those for the cottage deck.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:13 PM   #7
spence

Years ago I had a big garden with my neighbor at my last house. I bought Pompeii seeds, a giant San Marzano variety from Italy with fruit from four to six inches long. 14 plants with 2x2s for stakes. They all grew to seven feet high and four or five feet in diameter. It would take me hours to sucker them.

Bushels of fruit, I should have opened a farm stand.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 11:37 AM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Totally disappointed with this season's plants that I crowed about last spring... Not going down that road again...

But BIL from Virginia brought up a box full of farm grown tomatoes that were/are awesome and beautiful. We have been eating, sharing with neighbors and making a little sauce. What a difference being 3 growing zones south of here...

As a reminder ahead of local vegetable harvests, check out our friend Zeno's Adriatic Gourmet site and get you some of his first press extra virgin olive oil! You won't be sorry.... https://www.adriaticgourmet.com/

Old 08-02-2023, 03:03 PM   #9
Nebe

Our tomatoes are booming this year. 20 plants. Most are 6 -7 ft high. We started from seed inside our basement in April, moved to our greenhouse in may and planted early June. Mulch with grass clippings, prune heavily and use a trellis to keep them straight. I can text you some pictures if you want to see
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 07:56 AM   #10
wdmso

Well my tomatoes after a slow start have blown up between the rain and heat .and even staking the cages they are leaning over .. I had to remove 12 of the largest beef steak tomatoes to stop them from splitting . But they are green so I hope they’ll ripen in the sun .. was told a brown paper bag should help . Any other suggestions

Tried beets. again the root ball on many grew above ground?

The few onions , I have look very good zucchinis ok . and cucumbers very nice

Next will be dumping my bucket of potato’s and see if I am a winner or loser
Old 08-03-2023, 12:59 PM   #11
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

My mulch bin is large and all our veggie and fruit compost goes in there and it gets turned over multiple times until I’m certain it’s time to see what grows. Picked the best five tomato plants that grew and caged them, a couple pepper plants, two summer squash and a couple cantaloupes top out the bounty. One squash plants is massive and I’ve already harvested almost two dozen from it, most shared with neighbors. We love the BJ Campari tomatoes, so those and plum are what should ripen soon. The compost bin is two feet thick of great food for anything that grows.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 04:52 PM   #12
wdmso

Potatoes were a fail got 5 potatoes not 5lbs. Soil was very wet need bigger drainage holes Iam guessing . Might try straw bale garden next year