Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 01-25-2023, 05:32 AM   #211
Rmarsh

Another in expresso color

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:00 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:39 PM   #212
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

You are going darker and my wife has me doing the cabinets in snowdrop white with furniture grade paint.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:21 PM   #213
trevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Another in expresso color
the worse color combo I can think of. I hate anything brown in color, cabinets, paint, tile etc. No thanks.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:13 PM   #214
Rmarsh

We just install what the buyers select and move on to the next....I dont give it much thought anymore..... my preferences are outdated.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:25 PM   #215
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
You are going darker and my wife has me doing the cabinets in snowdrop white with furniture grade paint.
Im doing a kitchen in frost white right now....no more natural or stained oak, cherry, or ash....with beautiful wood grain.... like we used to do.
The expresso looks very little like wood.... more like a dark brown paint.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:39 AM   #216
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

All our cabinents are custom made clear pine. 23 doors. PIA painting. I stained them 50 years ago so I'm doing 2 coats of BINS shellac base primer before the paint.

Old 01-26-2023, 05:49 AM   #217
Rmarsh

Quote:
All our cabinents are custom made clear pine. 23 doors. PIA painting. I stained them 50 years ago so I'm doing 2 coats of BINS shellac base primer before the paint.
Yes..... pine was popular too.....stains beautifully....although softer than the other woods.
A stain killing sealer like Bins shellac is a good idea.....and dries quickly...oh the fumes......take some breaks to get fresh air to keep a clear head.

I wondered if you had concealed hinges like we use now.....didnt see them in use much way back when.

Another in an off white....Linen I think.

Old 01-26-2023, 08:33 AM   #218
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

That is a beautiful kitched.

Actually, take a look at the pic and you'll understand why I hate painting them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doors.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	69486  

Old 01-26-2023, 09:19 AM   #219
Rmarsh

The cabinets now are almost always full overlay....no part of the cabinet face frame is exposed....and the common use of concealed hinges doesn't go back to when you and I built our houses.

Old 01-26-2023, 10:12 AM   #220
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I like it!

Old 01-26-2023, 11:39 AM   #221
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I installed a blue island last week... Almost navy blue. Wall cabinets were painted white white.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:14 AM   #222
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I installed a blue island last week... Almost navy blue. Wall cabinets were painted white white.

Primary colors next? Could be the next trend....maybe all the home improvement shows are where these things start.
I do like the look of these vanity cabinets.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:54 AM..
Old 01-28-2023, 07:42 AM   #223
Rmarsh

Another... with a shade of blue island

Old 01-28-2023, 09:28 AM   #224
redlite

Just finishin up a bath and kitchen with those grayish/ blue shaker style cabinets. Seems to be the new color. At first I was like this is odd, why would anyone want this? but as it has come together it has grown on me.
My wife has wanted our cabinets white and been delaying it in hopes white cabinet mania passes. I feel would be waste of our nice cabinets.
The different island color is my delemnia as I feel that if the island (8') were white too it would be too much white. Plus show all the dirt and wear and tear from the kids esp sittin at it. Think it would lead to OCD issues esp with the foot prints Sitting at island so
Perhaps that reason for different color
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:21 PM   #225
Rmarsh

A lot of people are doing different color island ....this one is stained cherry if i remember right. When you have an over abundance of cabinets all in the same color can be too much.....the contrast can be nice.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:27 AM   #226
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Really like the island legs.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:32 AM   #227
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Another... with a shade of blue island
cabinets up to a high ceiling are nice for tall people

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:04 AM   #228
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Just finishin up a bath and kitchen with those grayish/ blue shaker style cabinets. Seems to be the new color. At first I was like this is odd, why would anyone want this? but as it has come together it has grown on me.
My wife has wanted our cabinets white and been delaying it in hopes white cabinet mania passes. I feel would be waste of our nice cabinets.
The different island color is my delemnia as I feel that if the island (8') were white too it would be too much white. Plus show all the dirt and wear and tear from the kids esp sittin at it. Think it would lead to OCD issues esp with the foot prints Sitting at island so
Perhaps that reason for different color
The white cabinet mania won't pass any time soon as white is timeless. I have been doing a lot of kitchens over the years and many times the cabinets are white of some shade and the island would be wood, mostly stained cherry. More recently islands have been a color like a soft pastel type of a green or blue, now with all the greys I see more of that.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:57 AM   #229
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
cabinets up to a high ceiling are nice for tall people
Haha....my 5'2" wife cannot even reach the upper shelf of our 30" tall wall cabinets.

Houses we build with 9' high ceilings.... the options are ...open soffit ...which some dont like as it is a dust collector....
stacked cabinets... which are even too high for me at 6' tall to reach......or an extra wide soffit... which with 36" high wall cabinets is awkwardly wide at 18"......doesnt look right for me. I liked the stacked uppers best for looks
I keep a small step ladder around for my wife to use....but most time she just hollers for me.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:00 AM   #230
Rmarsh

Quote:
Really like the island legs.

Thanks.....it was hard for me to figure out which way to install them.... which end was up?....i tried them each way....still wasnt sure.
I doweled the legs into the flooring...
I got another delivery of cabinets coming this morning....if I had to guess...I'd say white again.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 01-30-2023 at 06:14 AM..
Old 02-04-2023, 07:12 AM   #231
Rmarsh

White again.....the Island is Expresso, I dont assemble them until the hardwood flooring goes in. The box of crown moulding for the soffit says "Product of Vietnam" and the quality and specie of wood is funky and the profile from one piece to the other is inconsistent. The quality of stuff keeps slipping.....making our jobs tougher.
This customer provided the apron sink that has to be cut into the sink base cabinet....high end....came with a bunch of accessories.

Old 02-05-2023, 06:55 AM   #232
Rmarsh

built-in casework...ill bring to the job and finish in place with face frames...soffit ...crown... and doors for base unit. the back of the upper cabinet mdf beadboard.....
working alone in my shop is more enjoyable than job site chaos.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:00 PM   #233
Rmarsh

they're just set in place for now....kitchen coming first....helped carry in 52 boxes of hardwood flooring
.and this is what happens when someone uses my bench when im not around....a freikin sawcut.....i put some PL in it and then ill the sand excess after it expands. Nobody owned up to it.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:23 PM   #234
redlite

Quote:
they're just set in place for now....kitchen coming first....helped carry in 52 boxes of hardwood flooring
.and this is what happens when someone uses my bench when im not around....a freikin sawcut.....i put some PL in it and then ill the sand excess after it expands. Nobody owned up to it.
That sucks
Once u find out who did it everyone be able to know cause they be walking around only able to count to 9
Leg for an eye.....,,
redlite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:24 AM   #235
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
That sucks
Once u find out who did it everyone be able to know cause they be walking around only able to count to 9
Leg for an eye.....,,

It does suck...... got to be one of the rookies..... we have two!
No investigation.....but they know who they are....and I made it known when everyone was present that I wasnt too happy about it......hope they realize how stupid that was. Case closed.
Ive told you before... but the bench....my own design....evolved over time and perfect for the job i do......is like a magnet.
Just the other morning I had to ask a tremendously obese plumber to remove his ass from it so i could do my work!

The bench is very stable.... enough for me to stand on holding a large wall cabinet solo... and screw it in...perfect height for all the soffit and crown work too....the hand hold makes it simple to move and carry with one hand perfectly balanced.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 02-08-2023 at 06:30 AM..
Old 02-08-2023, 06:41 AM   #236
Rmarsh

Mike check this out.....front door unit has a 6 9/16 jamb width and walls are 2x6 with half inch exterior sheathing and half inch drywall. So how does this happen? I know why but none of it is under my control.....and im getting too old to care. More concerned about how uneven the kitchen walls are where my cabinets go.
Plus the door wouldnt close without force....i knew what that was......i removed all the expansion foam from between the hinge side of the jamb and the jack stud....unscrewed the middle hinge from the jamb ...and put a well placed 3" screw to drive the jamb over....the hinge covers it so its not visible....closes easily now.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:08 AM   #237
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
It does suck...... got to be one of the rookies..... we have two!
No investigation.....but they know who they are....and I made it known when everyone was present that I wasnt too happy about it......hope they realize how stupid that was. Case closed.
Ive told you before... but the bench....my own design....evolved over time and perfect for the job i do......is like a magnet.
Just the other morning I had to ask a tremendously obese plumber to remove his ass from it so i could do my work!

The bench is very stable.... enough for me to stand on holding a large wall cabinet solo... and screw it in...perfect height for all the soffit and crown work too....the hand hold makes it simple to move and carry with one hand perfectly balanced.
I obviously could benefit from seeing this design....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:22 PM   #238
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Damn Bob! no respect sad

I suppose they would have wrecked a blade as well if the cut was 1/4" over as it just missed that line of screws.

people suck
Old 02-09-2023, 04:04 AM   #239
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Damn Bob! no respect sad

I suppose they would have wrecked a blade as well if the cut was 1/4" over as it just missed that line of screws.

people suck

Not surprised that you noticed Bruce....about the screws...I was thinking the same. Not the first time it ever happened...but it was for this bench. Over the years I can recall dozens of times....guys cutting into brand new sawhorses and i mean the top cut in half.....almost always someone pretty green....not necessarily disrespectful......mostly clueless.
I have a sawhorse design I have come up with that combines stability, strength and is not heavy.......but someone always cuts into them eventually.

I will just build another when this one craps the bed...its not very complex.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:58 AM..
Old 02-09-2023, 05:34 AM   #240
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I obviously could benefit from seeing this design....
Splayed legs make for stable benches...or saw horses too for that matter. Its all made from 3/4 plywood....lot of screws and PL premium glue with fillets along all seams.
The top is 16x36 and I make the spread of the splayed legs at 36 apart at the bottom to match.... the legs have cuts an inch or so off the floor that make for less rocking and will allow for working over debris, and cords or hoses. The mid level shelf is a sturdy spreader and holds the legs firmly in place. It is so versatile...I put it upside down on a dolly and pack a crapload of tools on it when doing commercial jobs..... rolling down long hallways and up elevators too. You'll notice other details in the pics i previously posted.